Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-22, 10:30 AM  
kat999

Help preventing welt from workout bra

I just got this really nice workout bra from Athleta; it was pretty expensive (I had a gift card), and it provides excellent, high-impact support. The problem is it has a front zipper that I didn't realize dug into my upper abdomen, and yesterday I got a welt from it when I did a 5-mile jog. While it didn't break the skin or anything, it resembles a bug bite and is kind of painful and definitely unsightly. I like the way the bra supports otherwise, and it's actually fairly ideal for running as opposed to other activities that wouldn't really require quite as much firm support as this one offers (and, really, I don't want this level of high compression when doing something like yoga or dance or weights or whatever). So long story short is I do want use it, and I do want to use it almost exclusively for running.

I need some kind of small pad I guess or bandage or product that will a) not slip right off when I get sweaty; b) fully protect this little area of my upper abs (the bra is pretty long on me, basically); and c) makes this whole thing much more comfortable.

I think part of the problem is that occasionally I am more bloated than at other times, and so I imagine the zipper wouldn't even always be in constant contact with my skin, but right now it is, so I need it to stop.

Ideas welcome!
Old 07-10-22, 02:07 PM  
Vantreesta

Maybe try moleskin? We use it on our feet when hiking to prevent rubbing and blisters.

I have a few zip front bras that I bought for jumping rope bc I need more support for that than for running. I wore one on a run once and had a similar problem to yours but mine was at the top of the zipper. Thankfully I don't need that much for running so I just wear them for jumping.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-22, 07:37 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Maybe try moleskin? We use it on our feet when hiking to prevent rubbing and blisters.

I have a few zip front bras that I bought for jumping rope bc I need more support for that than for running. I wore one on a run once and had a similar problem to yours but mine was at the top of the zipper. Thankfully I don't need that much for running so I just wear them for jumping.
Oh, that's a good idea! Yeah, this one's problem is the bottom of the zipper, it's like the fastener part itself is metal and hard and protrudes out of the fabric. :/

I'll definitely try moleskin, and maybe even put a piece on me but also a piece on the zipper fastener, too.
Old 07-10-22, 07:47 PM  
Vantreesta

Hope it works for you!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-22, 08:49 PM  
bfit

Is it like super bad chafing? If so, a product like Body Glide might work, or you could even try just good old Vaseline first. Just smear some on the skin that gets sore before you go running. It will prevent rubbing of the zipper directly on your skin.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-22, 05:16 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

maybe you could hand sew a piece of fabric that covers the metal part that touches your skin? if this is the "separating zipper" type (like on a hoodie jacket) you could sew it to one side so that the zipper could unfasten.

another idea is wear another bra underneath. VFers have described wearing 2 bras for adequate support.

this is unfortunate that an expensive bra would do this!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-22, 08:04 AM  
buffmama

Not what you asked but you could try to return it explaining why. A good company would do right by you. Perhaps call customer service first.
Old 07-11-22, 09:35 AM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
Not what you asked but you could try to return it explaining why. A good company would do right by you. Perhaps call customer service first.
I would do this. Athleta has an excellent return policy. It can be worn for a workout and still returned if it’s within 60 days.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-22, 09:41 AM  
kat999

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ordered some moleskin and Body Glide, and I'm thinking about if I can wear something underneath that would help. I can't really sew, but that suggestion would work for others.

I'd hate to return it because I do really like it otherwise. Part of the issue is my own tummy, which is my goal is to flatten If that happens, this wouldn't even be a problem. haha

Tags
bra, bras, clothing, sports bra, sports bras