Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-23, 11:59 AM  
sciencelady

2023 Decluttering Support and Motivation

Starting the thread for the new year.
This is a check in for us to report on our decluttering efforts and to seek advice and support. All are welcome.

I'm still decluttering in preparation for a move to a condo in 2024. It'll be going rather slowly in 2023, but still wanting this group to carry on!
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-23, 12:48 PM  
Izzy

Happy New Year.

As I often mention, I tend to attack the bins in the basement when I put away Christmas decorations. And this year I stayed to my goal. In the end, I had 3 empty bins, one which is holding the items to go to Goodwill. I am trying to find a home for the other two empty bins. I spent two solid days down there and organized bins, labeled them and did some serious reflecting on what I actually need (thus the trip to Goodwill).

While at it I organized the basement and made it easier to find things.

My son is visiting and I cannot access the spare room closet but that is my next goal. I did it in the summer but promised myself to do it again after Christmas. My next project is to go through the 2 bins of pictures and organize them. If we get a couple of days of artic weather that closes my work (I work in a library) that's when I will tackle that job.

I hope everyone had a peaceful holiday season.
Old 01-03-23, 12:49 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Thanks for starting this! I came looking for a new thread.
I will come back later to post details but it has been a busy few months and have not made a whole lot of progress. Started again this weekend going through clothing.
Happy New Year everyone and sending good vibes for a successful year.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-23, 02:23 PM  
fanofladyvols

Mary et al.,
if if there's one thing I won't purge ...it's bins. They have become shockingly expensive IMHO.

Still plugging along here...two shopping bags to Goodwill before Christmas of tshirts and random household items.

Then donated another shopping bag of CDs, movies and children's books after Christmas.

I have another box of books and learning games loaded in my car.

Currently, building another shopping bag of clothing. The practice of constantly filling a bag has been successful for me.

We also finally put together a bedframe that had been standing idle from my FIL for years. The benefit of all that purging and clearing is the extra rooms were nice and clear for guests.

When my brother's family stayed over a few days, no air mattress necessary! Kids could be in separate rooms and I could stay in my own bed... woohoo!

I still have boxes of children's books to force myself to go through that are squirreled away in a closet. I dread it so I need to remember how I feel because I truly don't need to keep them all.

Keep up the good work! Thanks for starting us off sciencelady!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-23, 09:44 PM  
BunnyHop

Good point about bins, I agree! The inexpensive ones are getting harder to find.

I like these from Walmart, and snapped up the last group I saw in my local store. Apparently they're always out of stock in stores these days, so here's a link for anyone who's interested:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/seot/430879032

Another thing I've done is to save the bins from old plastic shelving units. I've got some that I use to store nail polish, because they're the right depth. The bins themselves are quite sturdy, so I plan to hang on to them even after the shelving has died.

And oh, yeah, the chairs I ordered last fall finally arrived today. Whew. Such a long wait! My next job is turning my sun room into a little sitting room with my new chairs so I can watch movies or visit with a friend in comfy seats.
Old 01-03-23, 11:14 PM  
fanofladyvols

Bunnyhop, are you like sciencelady and gearing up for an eventual move? (For some reason, I thought that was your motivation for decluttering. )

Anyway, making your sunroom a visiting space sounds great.

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
Old 01-03-23, 11:28 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Bunnyhop, are you like sciencelady and gearing up for an eventual move? (For some reason, I thought that was your motivation for decluttering. )

Anyway, making your sunroom a visiting space sounds great.
Definitely, but as of yet, I've no idea where to wind up. Living here I have access to a good therapist, doctor, dentist, etc., and for now I don't want to lose that support system.

I'm planning to do some more travel and find myself somewhere else to settle, but this is becoming a much slower process than I'd counted on. Sigh.

On the other hand, I do have a better sense of what I'm looking for in terms of a future home and community, so at least I'm learning as I go.
Old 01-04-23, 12:03 PM  
fanofladyvols

That's great that you have the time to think it through. Rushed moves stink!!

Old 01-04-23, 12:56 PM  
Vantreesta

Hubby told me last month that after the holidays it was mandatory I tackle the house in earnest so I will! I really do want to do it, I just get so overwhelmed. I hope he realizes it's gonna look worse before it gets better!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-23, 01:13 PM  
sherry7899

I just had a Vietnam Vets pickup yesterday of two enormous garbage bags of clothing and several boxes of books and knicknacks. I decided I needed to stop having so many things sitting on shelves that need dusting, which I hate. I will likely get rid of more.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
declutter, decluttering, downsizing, internet archive, organizing, organizing the home