Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-02-23, 04:08 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Anyone here use bullet journal?

I am intrigued about bullet journaling as a means of improving my time management and keeping on track with goals. I have trouble getting started on projects. Once I get started on a task I often can't stop which may contribute to the trouble getting started! I also frequently feel overwhelmed by my to-do list.
I am wondering if I might benefit from using bullet journal not only for fitness and nutrition but life in general. I am interested in hearing from others who have used one, how they used it (for fitness, work, general life or all of the above) and if has helped. Also would appreciate any recommendations for resources on how to actually do it-setting up a journal etc. Thanks!
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-23, 05:53 PM  
buffmama

It was recommended to me to use a planner with the hours of the day listed and schedule the actual time to do things. At my busiest times it is helpful and helps keep me on track. With space on the side of the planner I write in other tasks, to do, reminders etc.
Old 01-02-23, 08:23 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I am a bullet journal failure. I think if you're overwhelmed by your to do list, a bullet journal will amplify that. Maybe you would be better off figuring out how to break up your projects into smaller to do lists? Maybe that is the point of a bullet journal and it's just the thing you need -- now that I'm typing, I'm unsure of myself, but my initial thought on reading your post is that a bullet journal is probably not the right answer. Hopefully someone with bullet journal success will chime in here.
Old 01-02-23, 08:32 PM  
donnamp

Hi,

Time Management is one of my goals in the new year. I agree with buffmama - and that is how I plan to approach this. You sound a lot like me - trouble getting started, but then trouble stopping, too. I think scheduling the time to work on various things will work for me. I have dabbled with it in the past, and set a timer, too - so that I remember to stop/take a break. It also helped me in getting started, knowing that I just had to do something for a limited period of time made it easier for me to start.

I looked into bullet journaling years ago and honestly, just felt overwhelmed with it.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-23, 10:53 AM  
BunnyHop

I wrote an encyclopedic post about all my system-development inspirations, but keep getting a 500 error when I try to post it.

Assuming the sheer size is the issue, I'll shrink it down to this:
Take a look at the habit retention systems you have in place, and keep refining them until they're able to actually support you in your quest to sustain the habits that support your goals.
Ryder Carroll's Bullet Journal Method book, YT videos, website (etc, etc.) does a good job explaining the basic techniques he uses.

Do a search on youtube for "bullet journal fitness" and you're bound to find some helpful ideas as well. JashiiCorrin has lots of bujo ideas.

Others whose systems have inspired me: Lefie on YT, and her index card system
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mVpSqBpvBA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VwuDahBaKc

Rachel Stephen's Constellation system (a work in progress, but inspiring to me) https://www.rachaelstephen.com/constellation
Old 01-03-23, 11:29 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

I used a bullet journal for a few years (Ryder Carroll-based, not the fancy decorated style that's become so popular) and found that it worked well as a daily to-do list but lacked in capturing upcoming projects and events. Having to flip back and forth between pages for different things was annoying--I do much better when I can see my full week.

If you're having trouble prioritizing and then stopping once you start a project, time blocking may be something to consider, or even a simpler pomodoro method, where you set a timer to work on a task for 20 minutes (or 10 or 15, whatever) and then take 10 minutes off to do something else. I do that when there's a project I'm really avoiding.

Here's an overview of time blocking: https://www.lifehack.org/881771/time-blocking

Here are a couple of videos that help you figure out your planning style:
Cindy Guntert-Baldo: https://youtu.be/31-zg_rchL8
Rachelle in theory: https://youtu.be/1PSaNwDDd2I

HTH!

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-23, 04:44 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I am a bullet journal failure. I think if you're overwhelmed by your to do list, a bullet journal will amplify that. Maybe you would be better off figuring out how to break up your projects into smaller to do lists? Maybe that is the point of a bullet journal and it's just the thing you need -- now that I'm typing, I'm unsure of myself, but my initial thought on reading your post is that a bullet journal is probably not the right answer. Hopefully someone with bullet journal success will chime in here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Hi, Time Management is one of my goals in the new year. I agree with buffmama - and that is how I plan to approach this. You sound a lot like me - trouble getting started, but then trouble stopping, too. I think scheduling the time to work on various things will work for me. I have dabbled with it in the past, and set a timer, too - so that I remember to stop/take a break. It also helped me in getting started, knowing that I just had to do something for a limited period of time made it easier for me to start.
I looked into bullet journaling years ago and honestly, just felt overwhelmed with it.
Donna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat View Post
I used a bullet journal for a few years (Ryder Carroll-based, not the fancy decorated style that's become so popular) and found that it worked well as a daily to-do list but lacked in capturing upcoming projects and events. Having to flip back and forth between pages for different things was annoying--I do much better when I can see my full week.

If you're having trouble prioritizing and then stopping once you start a project, time blocking may be something to consider, or even a simpler pomodoro method, where you set a timer to work on a task for 20 minutes (or 10 or 15, whatever) and then take 10 minutes off to do something else. I do that when there's a project I'm really avoiding.

HTH!
Thanks everyone. I suspected that it would be too much for me. I don't need another thing to "figure out" when my frustration tolerance is already low.
It's funny that you mention the Pomodoro method because I tried this briefly recently and it really was helpful. I will try to do this more often and make it more of a routine. I have tried timeblocking using longer periods for certain tasks like decluttering and it does help me get started if I am worried about a task going over the time available.

Also someone mentioned scheduling tasks in a daily planner with times outlined. I kind of started this several months ago but instead of putting it on a written calendar I put it on my phone. I scheduled a few dreaded tasks this way and it kind of worked but I think I need it in writing somewhere that I will look at every day. I also need to schedule a time to do routine things like paying bills and balancing the checkbook etc. I tend to delay doing these tasks until it becomes urgent then end up staying up too late. My sleep habits are another thing I am working on. Fatigue is no doubt contributing to feeling overwhelmed.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-23, 08:54 PM  
Izzy

I can’t track my schedule with my phone. I know folks who are so good and consistent with it but for me even with the reminders I forget. I need a paper and pencil. For me it’s the crossing off the task completed that gives me satisfaction and keeps me on task. Even my work computer calendar doesn’t help me. But a pad and paper does.

I do a modify bullet journal. 1) only a month at a time except for work it’s week and day. 2) I cross things off once I accomplish the goal. 3) I only list 5-10 things a month and I keep it balanced between larger task and smaller task. 4) if I don’t accomplish something it gets bumped up. 5) I allow myself to tweak and modify as long as it moves me in the right direction to accomplish my goals. I review monthly and start new the next month.
Old 01-03-23, 09:39 PM  
BunnyHop

And oh, yes, the technique of scheduling a specific span of time to do something is very helpful to me. It's good for that stuff I struggle to start and maintain, since you set up an end point ahead of time.

I tend to do well with 5, 15 and 20 minute spans of time. 30 minutes just feels like too much sometimes.
Old 01-03-23, 09:42 PM  
kristiep

Haven't used bullet journaling, but I did research it when it was mentioned on VF forum awhile back.

I opted for using the Goal Crazy planner. I gave it a try in early 2022 but got a bit overwhelmed - you start with a top-down approach by looking at all the goals/dreams you have, then prioritizing and working to a monthly/weekly/daily planning and execution. I do believe it is the right way to approach goals, but it takes some effort to get started.

I am going to give it another try this year. The company offers a free webinar on how to use the planner in an optimal fashion, but I have not signed up for it. It probably would help.
kristiep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bullet journal, journal, journals, planners, time management