Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-20-19, 01:20 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathAL79 View Post
I predict that we'll see an increased focus on customization and personalization. I'd love to see every DVD come with a mix and match or matrix option of some sort. And with all of the digital media becoming more and more mainstream it makes sense to see instructors intending for people to pick and choose or reorder according to their wants and needs. The fitness video games are doing things like this already, and Jill Miller seems to be doing some of this personalized practice in video form with her At Home program (if it ever gets launched).

I know there has been some speculation about who might be the first to release a Blu-Ray exercise video, but I wouldn't be surprised if the fitness industry skips that step to focus on downloadable content instead. I could be wrong, though, since the price of Blu-Ray stand-alone players has dropped significantly recently.
Bumping 10-year-old thread because Kath pretty much called it with jumping straight to downloadable/streaming from DVD! Customization and personalization are big now, with people joining specialized studios that offer just Crossfit or barre or Zumba, and social networks around Peloton and Pokemon Go.

Now how about the upcoming decade? I hope VF will still be here to check back on this thread!

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-19, 04:46 PM  
antbuko

You threw me there, Sue. I was so happy to see Kath posting again.

I saw a Bowflex ad on Youtube. Apparently they also have streaming on their equipment. Maybe this is old news, but the clips look very appealing.

I really hope VF keeps going too. I miss old school forums such as this, with the rise of Facebook (which I hate!).
Old 12-20-19, 04:52 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
I'm thinking it's gonna go in two directions.... major intensity, trying to outdo Insanity type workouts, and also more walking/lower impact type workouts since the boomers are aging and either wanting to begin a workout program, or decrease their impact/intensity.
I learned in College (a Sociology major ) that the baby boomers will plow the way and shape our views as they grow older, and currently the boomers are looking at age-defying makeup & botox & stuff like that, I personally think they will look for exercise next as their age makeup and botox wears off and stops working !
Oh, and I'm not looking to step on any boomers toes, I know some will keep impact & intensity, but also I'm just generalizing about the generation. Was that CYA enough???
I think Buzzer was spot on with intensity of workouts. HIIT workouts have been everywhere the last several years. Also, there seem to be more gentle workouts aimed at boomers I don't recall seeing much of in prior decades.

As for the next decade, I suspect we'll be seeing less DVD workouts released as streaming and downloads are the way to go. Who knows where technology will lead us with fitness inventions. Will we see holographic fitness instructors who work out with us in our living rooms?
Old 12-20-19, 05:28 PM  
prettyinpink

I think more and more smaller outlets will try streaming, and many will not stay with it. And over time there will be more of a switch to more and larger streaming fitness channels that offer lots of different things.

I think most of the free YouTube stuff that is actually decent will go away.

I predict Cathe will stop making DVDs in the next couple of years.

What will the next fitness trend be, though? That is a hard one. Trends can be hard to predict.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-19, 05:44 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
I think more and more smaller outlets will try streaming, and many will not stay with it. And over time there will be more of a switch to more and larger streaming fitness channels that offer lots of different things.
I’d love to see something like that, a sort of fitness Netflix with lots of variety.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-19, 05:56 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

That was fun to read through. Kath was very accurate!

I think fitness DVDs will completely disappear, unfortunately. I saw an ad on TV for something called a fitness mirror. I actually thought it was a joke at first, but it could be the precursor to holographic instructors, as wendug said.

I also wonder if new fitness tech will make gyms obsolete or if people will still go for the social aspect. I haven't been to a gym since 2009.

As far as types of workouts, I think people are getting burned out on HIIT and something else will replace it.

Should be interesting to see what happens!
Old 12-21-19, 01:05 AM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko View Post
You threw me there, Sue. I was so happy to see Kath posting again.....
This Hard to believe that her page shows last activity in 2012. Has she really been gone almost 8 years? I hope she is healthy and happy. I really enjoyed her posts and miss a lot of the old regulars.
Old 12-21-19, 11:49 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post

I think most of the free YouTube stuff that is actually decent will go away.

I predict Cathe will stop making DVDs in the next couple of years.

What will the next fitness trend be, though? That is a hard one. Trends can be hard to predict.
I was SO THROWN by this thread because I didn't realize it was old when reading the first post!

I have a feeling you're probably correct, prettyinpink, as much as it pains me to say it.

And I do think the rise of all-encompassing streaming platforms will come, where one subscription allows access to multiple options for fitness. Just don't know how that will play out when there is so much out there already. Maybe it will start by acquiring the smaller, less well known entities first...
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-19, 11:57 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
This Hard to believe that her page shows last activity in 2012. Has she really been gone almost 8 years? I hope she is healthy and happy. I really enjoyed her posts and miss a lot of the old regulars.
She is on Facebook frequently with pictures of her adorable kids.

I miss a lot of old regulars also.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-19, 12:29 PM  
horusosiris

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post

I miss a lot of old regulars also.
So do I.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags