Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 02-09-23, 11:56 AM  
Vantreesta

Helen, I don't know if you might have any idea on this or not. I have been downloading YouTube videos and last night I downloaded a 30 day challenge, but one day won't play. I have occasionally had videos here and there not download correctly on the first try but then be fine on the next try. But last night I tried the one two more times and still doesn't work. The error was "To play this video, you need a new codec. Codecs allow the app to read and play different files." The other videos from that challenge were fine. Any thoughts? I'm using that 4k video downloader program and Windows 10.

ETA: I was hoping the software update would fix the problem but no luck.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-23, 01:50 PM  
Vantreesta

We got home yesterday afternoon from up north. We spent the wknd with my father-in-law and then headed over to a favorite place for a couple days of snowshoeing. We did 5.32 miles on Monday with a fair amount of bushwhacking so it was a pretty exhausting day. The snow depth was somewhere around 18-24". Tuesday we stayed on a trail that was already well-used. We did 3.9 miles on that. Normally we like to get off trail some but we were kind of beat up from the day before so not totally sad to just stay on the trail. It was a new one for us and it was beautiful. Then after a rest and some food at the hotel room we went back out and did a 3.84 mile nature walk. It was a multi-use paved trail but it was snow covered so we still wore snowboots but didn't need snowshoes. It was more hilly than expected. It was mostly in town but still got to see lakes and lots of trees. We had considered stopping somewhere on the way over there on Sunday but decided we really just felt like getting to town and the hotel. We also had thought of doing smthg yesterday before we headed home but I made the call to just come home. Hubby doesn't workout at all and was pretty beat up. I didn't want to keep pushing him. It was so good to get Cyric back and sleep in our own bed last night. I really do wish we could just pick up our house and move it up there, though. If we did, Cyric and I would be doing that town trail many times a week!

Saturday morning I did day 13 of Bird's 2022 30 Day Yoga Challenge. It was only 5 minutes but with the headaches I had over the wknd I was just happy to do smthg, esp since I wasn't at home. Sunday after we got to the hotel I did day 14 of that challenge as well as Adriene's Yoga for Migraines.

I haven't been productive yet today and honestly just want to sit around with Cyric but I need to get a few things done at least!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 02-10-23, 03:01 AM  
Helen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Helen, I don't know if you might have any idea on this or not. I have been downloading YouTube videos and last night I downloaded a 30 day challenge, but one day won't play. I have occasionally had videos here and there not download correctly on the first try but then be fine on the next try. But last night I tried the one two more times and still doesn't work. The error was "To play this video, you need a new codec. Codecs allow the app to read and play different files." The other videos from that challenge were fine. Any thoughts? I'm using that 4k video downloader program and Windows 10.

ETA: I was hoping the software update would fix the problem but no luck.
I just downloaded the 4K video downloader so I could see what options you have. You could select format as MKV, or choose High Definition at 780p rather than the default of 1080p, if that fails, try dropping to just High Quality.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-23, 08:46 AM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
I just downloaded the 4K video downloader so I could see what options you have. You could select format as MKV, or choose High Definition at 780p rather than the default of 1080p, if that fails, try dropping to just High Quality.
Thanks for checking, Helen. I've just been using the normal quality option, the lower one. (Although I did notice when I checked that that quality is not very good!) I will try some of the other quality options and see if that one downloads. Thanks!

Old 02-10-23, 11:21 AM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Vantreesta - Your weekend sounds lovely! I've always wanted to try snowshoeing, but we rarely get enough snow around here to invest in or rent snowshoes. It sounds like you got quite a workout!
Cleda - I agree about the ads! Don't put an ad in the middle of a workout! I'll put up with them in the beginning or end.
Helen - I still need to download the Balance app. It sounds like a good place to start a meditation practice.

2/9 - Hike with hubby, 4.54 miles, in a park we can hike to.
dog walk
I meant to do my push-ups and plank, but never did.

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt
LiliMagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-23, 02:08 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
The MKV format worked! Thanks so much for your help. The quality is better than what I've been downloading at too. I'm debating scrapping everything I've already downloaded and starting over! Eventually I want to get them all burned to DVD, if I can make it work.

Old 02-10-23, 07:09 PM  
Helen

I've hit a wall. DH away for 3 weeks now. It's Saturday morning and have a friend coming over in half an hour - needs to use my heavy-duty sewing machine for a denim repair. She should give me a spark. My gym buddy hasn't been able to play with me either for the last few nights.

Expecting a visitor means I've spent the morning doing housework - so a decent kick-off to the weekend.

Thursday
40min dog walk
65min, Cathe - STS - Meso 1 - Week 2 - 05 Back & Triceps
10min Balance App - Foundations I - Day 7
15min Balance App - Ease Loneliness - Day 4

Friday
45min dog walk
10min Balance App - Foundations I - Day 8
15min Balance App - Ease Loneliness - Day 5

Getting the STS was a struggle but the 'determination' thought got me up there.

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-23, 07:26 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

checking in

But not a lot to report.

Helen: What meditation app are you using? I need to go back and check. Is it a free app or a subscription? I need to possibly check into it. I feel better when I meditate (I think) but it's so willy nilly (as is most of my workout life!) Thanks for any input. You will feel much better after a visit with your friend. AND just tidying up the house more than likely helped as well. Gym buddy due back soon? I hope! Wait! Wait - is it Balance: Meditation & Sleep app by Elevate Labs? Hmmmmmmmm .......... Do tell.

Vantreesta: I have 2 sets of snowshoes (pretty funny for someone who hates winter/cold and snow!) as well as cross country skis. We just don't get enough snow (and I'm not complaining) for me to use them. Even when it does snow it can be tough with my work schedule. But when I did do it? I did enjoy it. Maybe when I retire I can do more. Of course, this year? We've had no snow. Maybe ONE dusting, but that's it and I'm fine with that.

Lili: Waves and good for you to get out hiking. Even if it is cold, it does good to be outside.

On to me. Doing the bare minimum. And getting by. It's almost mid February. Where does the time go? Need to get busy. I really do. (Says the once a bear from another lifetime who's in full hibernation mode.) which of course, we all know would be better if I just got the good workouts in.

Anyway.................

2/9/2023: Row 20 minutes (Pop Row with Laine).

2/10/2023: 30 mins. All in One Row
(with a club 26 vibe to it. All intervals were done at 26 spm) with Mike Dostal.

I've probably mentioned it (every time I do one) but the all in ones include warm up and cool down. It saves me time, because by putting on my own 5 minute warm up it always has 30 seconds intro, then on to the row, then I have to swipe it away, choose the workout, another 60 second intro, then on to that workout, then swipe it away, choose a cool down another 30 second intro and then the cool down. I can never get it done in JUST 30 mins. Might not sound like much adding 30 seconds here, 60 seconds there, looking for workouts, but it all adds up when I'm in a time crunch in the morning before work. So, I like the all in ones.

So, my rows towards my Commit to Fit badge are done for this week. Anything now is extra (and that's ok!) I guess I do better with rotations or when I have a quota to me (especially if there is a badge involved.)

I also hit my 250k meters rowed this week (on the Hydrow) so I can get my "free Socks". (I have to pay shipping. I skipped the water bottle cuz I doubt I'd use it. The socks? Maybe). I often wonder how many meters I would be at had I tracked the first 2 years? Hmmmmmmmmmm. I'll never know. I'm headed toward a million. It looks like on average it takes MOST people about a year. I think I'm right on track for that? Maybe. Something to aim towards I suppose.

That's it for now.
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-23, 08:36 AM  
Vantreesta

Lili, if you ever get a chance to snowshoe you should try it! Of course, I do love cold and snow so that encourages my love of it! I wish the state park near us was close enough to walk to. Cyric and I would go a lot more often. Ironically, I'm all in for physical activity but too lazy to get in the car and drive somewhere! I love that you and your DH can hike so much.

Cleda, I've never tried any type of skiing. Cross country would've the only kind I'm willing to try. Too scared for downhill or water! I totally get the badge motivation. I'm highly motivated by numbers and stats, most of the time. I joined a yoga challenge in the Garmin Connect app so I could get the badge but I couldn't figure out why my minutes weren't getting added. Turns out manually added workouts don't count for challenges. I had to search their website to find that, though. They didn't state it when I signed up in the app! So I dumped the challenge. I only wear my Garmin for outdoor GPS-tracked workouts. I wear my old non-smart Polar for indoor workouts and I wasn't willing to change for the badge. I also get the problem of seconds added here and there in your workout time. I would always get annoyed when smthg was labeled as say a 20 minute workout but actually clocked in at 24 or didn't let you know you needed to do your own warmup.

Helen, sorry about the wall. I hope seeing your friend helped some. I don't mind being alone a lot, but I think it would drive me crazy if my hubby was gone as much as yours is. It was hard when he was working the crazy amount of hours he was for a while. So glad that has ended!

I use the Insight Timer app for meditation. There are thousands of free meditation tracks or you can use the timer if you want to time unguided meditation sessions. It also tracks your streaks (Cleda ). Some of the challenges are available to free users, but courses are only available with the paid option. I am a free user all the way, for all apps! My only problem isn't really with the app, it's my night owl-ness that causes problems with my streaks. The app obviously counts a day as midnight to midnight, but since I'm usually up past midnight, when I'm away from home I occasionally forget to meditate till after midnight. I had a 520 day streak going and forgot till after midnight to do one so it was 24 hours without using the app and ended my streak. I was so upset! My "day" is usually like 7:30 AM to at least 12:30 AM. But I love the app itself. You can also enable sleep mode on any track so the app stops at the end of the track. This allows me to listen to sleep stories, soundscapes, sleep music or regular meditations as I fall asleep. If you don't enable sleep mode it continues tracking your time until you hit finish.

Old 02-11-23, 05:20 PM  
Helen

CLEDA
YES! Balance!!. I got it free for a year - saw an ad for it on Twitter. The annual subscription is $AU109, so I put a calendar appointment for the beginning of 2024 to remind me to cancel if I don't stick with it.

VANNIE
The snow outing sounded like full-on workout days!
Yes, having contact with two people, in real life, that I actually know DID help lift the day.

LILI
HI!!!

Saturday
35min, Shaun Thompson - CIZE - Crazy 8s with Kathryn
9min, Shaun Thompson - CIZE - 8 Count Abs, with Kathryn
60min, beach walk, with Alice
56min, Cathe - STS - Meso 1 - Week 2 - 06 Legs
10min, Meditation - Balance App - Foundations I Day 9

I'm in a rush - lots to get done today.

Ή Walk first
² Weights next