Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-23, 03:32 AM  
sciencelady

Crone Cronies - To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow. 7/9

The Cronies is a place for women who are mature in age or attitude. The group is highly diverse in that we have ages ranging from 30s to 60s, some are moms, some are single, some are teachers/professors, and some have jobs and work outside the home and some don’t. We do our own thing and are happy when life doesn’t get in the way too often. Some are training for a marathon, some don’t even do vids, you get the picture.

Life and exercise are what we report. A thread is started every Sunday. Some report every day, others whenever they can.

Bottom line: we are a diverse group and very supportive of each other’s goals. Oh, and we’re funny as heck. If you’d like to join us, just come on down.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-23, 08:31 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

I did get some sleep in this morning after starting this thread - yay! Today will be another and hopefully the last day of staining my deck! I picked up the tapes bordering my stain last night after starting this thread and I’ve got today’s tapes on yesterday. Today will be warmer and muggier than the previous ones this week, but hopefully, this project staining the deck will get done!

Laura, with the holiday and days off on the 4th, this week does have weird timing to me also. I’m hoping to make it through with my clothing till Wednesday, so I can do a load before heading to Wisconsin Thursday. Nothing yet on my desk . If it’s still there when I get back from Wisconsin next Sunday, I’ll dismantle it and throw it in the garbage. I don’t think it will do very well out there in rains this week.

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 07-09-23, 10:39 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Last night was the first night I got to bed when I wanted, so I got some extra sleep. And this morning was the first time I woke up without that feeling of being run over by a vehicle in the night. Yay! I'm beginning to think I'm going to come out of this. And that's good because I'll leave town again this week. You might remember that my birthday present was to go to a writers' conference in Charlotte in July. It's hard to believe it's this coming week, but time does fly. And I'm getting excited about it.

We attended church virtually this morning. And I threw in a load of laundry. The rest of the day, I want to continue to edit my book. I'm trying to get through this first major edit of the book before turning it over to Dad. I want him to read it and see if the book is structured optimally. I'm too close to it to tell anymore. I told him yesterday that I don't want to go to all the trouble of writing a book and getting reviews that it's deadly dull because it's too repetitive.

Anita - Well, the desk will have been available for a good amount of time. If it hasn't been taken by the time it rains, it probably won't be. Good luck getting the deck done! I imagine that will be a big check mark - actual or mental - on your to-do list.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-23, 05:01 PM  
sciencelady

I finished the deck! I had one 8 foot board to go when I ran out of stain . I couldn’t wring out enough from used brushes, bowls, rollers, etc. I did go to the store and picked up another gallon of deck stain - luckily I got there a short time before they closed for the day. The job is done! As I was finishing with the short amount of stain, I did go pretty lightly, so tomorrow, I may recover the thin spots since I now have lots of stain .

Tomorrow I’ll go to the WRC in the morning, then likely go for a walk. I might touch up any places on the deck that are thin in stain and showing some wood underneath - the stain bubbles and leaves bare spots a bit in places. I’m just so happy to be done! There’s some rain coming through also, so I’ll time things for the deck correctly. I’ve got lots of garbage from this project though - more than my bin will hold. Luckily it’s not going to stink or anything if I can’t fit it in my garbage can and I’ll have other lighter weeks.

Laura, hope your dad does a good editing job on your book - it’s done! Congratulations on that! Glad you still take a good attitude towards editing .
Old 07-09-23, 06:51 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was a neighborhood walk with DH, the 1st half of my PT Routine, and Pahla B Body Shaping Day 13 Cardio/Tone.

Groceries and food prep today, we got a load of laundry done too.

Anita, congratulations on finishing the deck. Well sort of finishing the deck - I guess you're going to do some touch ups and second coating spots. But the hardest work is over, so yay! 4th of July weekend definitely causes odd timing for the rest of the week. I'll be gone some of next week too. We leave on Monday and return on Thursday, we're going to San Luis Obispo for a few days.

Laura, always good to get extra sleep and great waking up without feeling run over and wrung out. I had forgotten about your birthday present trip, but I recall now. I hope you have a good time. Also congratulations on completely the book - except for the editing. Must feel good.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-23, 06:32 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

I’m off to take care of ducklings this morning. WRC is kind of perplexed why there are so few coming in this year - it might be from the virus going through the adults resulting in fewer families. I’m just kind of glad there’s fewer ducklings on their own out there. After WRC, I might go for a walk and then home to finish my deck project and do some spot checks on the deck. I can finally get my table and chairs up on the top level of the deck! It’s supposed to rain later today, but a hot one predicted in the 90s.

Paula, Enjoy San Luis Obispo! Are you flying yourselves there or driving? I’ll probably take my iPad with me this weekend so I’ll be able to start the thread Sunday morning.

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 07-10-23, 01:19 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I got up this morning and went for a long drive (125 miles) to try to get my car going again. I took it by an auto place to get the state inspection done - the fifth time I've done that. Again, it failed. The guy asked if I had replaced the battery recently and I said yeah, back in mid-May, and then told him the whole saga. He looked up my records and found that I've put 800 miles on the car since that first failure back in mid-May. He said he's never seen anything like this with a car failing that much with that many miles on it. However, he told me about a process I can do to petition the DMV for a waiver. So, at some point, I'll need to go to the DMV with my paperwork and see if they'll give it to me. Fortunately, it's a different office than where you go for a license, so hopefully, there won't be long lines.

The rest of the day will be putzing around the house and working on stuff around my book. It's cloudy here and cooler, which is nice.

Paula - Wow. There's a lot of travel with this small group, but I guess it's the season. Have a great time in San Luis Obispo. I remember you going before and enjoying it.

Anita - Congrats on finishing the deck except for touch-ups. As I said before, that's a big accomplishment. It's interesting how the numbers at the WRC ebb and flow depending on what's going on in the area around it.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-23, 02:39 PM  
sciencelady

Well I’m officially counting myself as done with the deck! I repainted some flat areas that contracted and left some exposed wood as it dried (just little cracks), I cleaned up the drips from the horizontal surfaces to the vertical surfaces and then I refinished the vertical surfaces. I gotta admit this looks very good! I even was able to clean up my shoes with a bit of acetone so I’m not wearing red drippings any more . I’ve got the chairs back up on the upper deck, but am holding off till friends come over to move the table and the grill back to the deck. It’s supposed to rain later today, but the deck should be all dried by then.

This morning at WRC was a quick morning - they were down in ducklings, so it only took me about two hours and I got there about 45 minutes earlier than the rest of the team - was almost done preparing food by the time they arrived. I did do my walk and saw a deer at the park - heard turkeys up the hill but didn’t see them. It’s a hot and humid one today, so I do have my AC going.

Laura, sorry but confused …. Is the state exam evaluating your exhaust or your battery? Here it’s an exhaust check - battery wouldn’t have anything to do with that…. Well I hope your car eventually passes! What happens if it doesn’t - do you lose the car or a license isn’t granted?
Old 07-10-23, 09:19 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was the 2nd half of my PT routine, a neighborhood walk with DH, and Karen Voight’s Yoga Stretch.

Anita, I hadn’t heard there was a virus going through the duck population. But frankly now that you mention it, maybe there are fewer ducks in our little lake. Yes, we will taking our plane to San Luis Obispo. It’s an easy flight and an easy place to get a rental car. Yay, on completing the deck.

Laura, that’s a lot of driving to do to get your car through inspection. Here some cars, generally older ones, need an exhaust inspection annually. I have the same question Anita does – what are they inspecting that has to do with your battery?
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-23, 07:33 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

The deck is done! I’ll be having a friend stop over this morning to get the table up to the top and get the grill on the lower level of the deck. Then we’ll go for a nice walk as today is a lovely day . Otherwise I’ll be putzing around outside getting things weeded. It’s nice to be done with this huge project, but it feels weird to have just a normal day .

Paula, the flu in waterfowl went beyond ducks, but lots of different waterfowl were affected. We’re wearing lots of isolation clothing to deal with the waterfowl so we don’t spread the disease from one cage to the other or to anyone else outside the waterfowl ward. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/avianflu/avian-flu-summary.htm

Waves to all!

Anita