Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 07-16-23, 07:56 AM  
sciencelady

Crone Cronies - Rise above the storm and you will find the sunshine. 7/16

The Cronies is a place for women who are mature in age or attitude. The group is highly diverse in that we have ages ranging from 30s to 60s, some are moms, some are single, some are teachers/professors, and some have jobs and work outside the home and some don’t. We do our own thing and are happy when life doesn’t get in the way too often. Some are training for a marathon, some don’t even do vids, you get the picture.

Life and exercise are what we report. A thread is started every Sunday. Some report every day, others whenever they can.

Bottom line: we are a diverse group and very supportive of each other’s goals. Oh, and we’re funny as heck. If you’d like to join us, just come on down.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-23, 08:11 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

It’s my last day down here in Spring Green - sad, because this is a very nice town, but happy to be back amongst my own things. Last night’s play was good, but there was a heavy shower right before an intermission, so we extended that time to cover its passing. Ah, the issues having a theater under the stars! Dinner last night was good - I brought cut up veggies and dip. I actually cut up everything, not a bought tray. I spent the day touring Mineral Point, WI - lots of arts and crafts stores there, but didn’t get anything there. Back in Spring Green I stopped by a nearby shop and did pick up a nice coffee mug. Today I’ll be driving back to home - might take the long route of a country highway instead of an expressway under construction.

Laura, nice to have another route home - I’m looking forward to the more environmental route I’ll be taking today - nice to view all the forests and farmlands. I was fine getting wet yesterday, we did lose four people that drove back after the first part of the play when the rains started.

Paula, sorry you had a problematic day . Glad you took the time to solve the problems though instead of sitting on them all week. We just ate our dinners and made it through the storms two days ago - we’re picnicking so not many options there.

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 07-16-23, 01:22 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

It's a sunny and hot and muggy day here. We're basically hunkered down at home, so it isn't affecting us too much. Polly keeps going outside and then coming back in to cool off. We generally let her decide what she wants to do since she gets so unhappy when she is forced to stay inside. But we do encourage her to come in and get something to drink - which she usually will when she's around the outside of the house.

A good friend back in the day died this past week. We were really close after I moved to D.C. and through my years of being single. We even vacationed in Maine, a great trip. She was a bridesmaid at my wedding and she's the one who talked me into playing in my first handbell choir. We lost touch after a while because we ended up in different churches and working in different parts of the city. She moved to Virginia from Maryland. Her funeral is today. She fought metastatic breast cancer for around 13 years and finally lost the fight. So I'm feeling nostalgic today.

Anita - It sounds like you've had a really nice time. You deserved to kick back and have some fun. I hope the trip back is good. Those more back roads routes can be really enjoyable.

Paula - Thanks. I really did enjoy something just for me and even staying over after it ended was fun for me. It's good you got things resolved before leaving and feel back on track. Now, go have a great time! You deserve it.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-23, 08:59 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B Day 20 Cardio/Tone, 2nd half of my PT routine, and a cardio walk with DH.

We spent the day getting ready to leave tomorrow morning.

Anita, thanks for getting us started. Laura, thanks for another good theme. Glad you had a good time in WI in spike of rain on your picnic. Hope you had a nice drive home.

Laura, sorry about your friend things like that are always a gut punch. Stay cool, it's hot here too, but it's not muggy, which is a big plus.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-23, 06:27 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

My drive back took most of the day and I used the Google map app to get around some construction closures on the back roads - took a bit longer, but was very scenic. I basically ended up doing a load of laundry and a load of dishes last night and caught up on some recorded TV shows.

Today I’ll be out at the WRC taking care of ducklings and go to the park for a walk afterwards. I’ll also need to stop by the grocery store - I was very happy that all that I brought to the picnic this weekend got eaten! I might stop at the paint store and get a quart of indoor paint to fix some spots in my office - found a paint that matched very closely! I’m hoping just to spot paint over gaps around my door frame and some scrapes on the walls. I’m just glad I don’t need a gallon! Otherwise planning on watering my plants outside.

Laura, the B&B that we stayed at had a cat that lived outside the house - it was a sweetie coming over for pets and scrunches and snuck into our part of the house when the door was open . I’m sorry for the loss of your friend - will you try to get to the funeral?

Paula, where are you traveling to? By your plane or car? Or airlines? Have a good time away!

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 07-17-23, 01:02 PM  
Vantreesta

So I'm already having to adjust fire on the workout plan bc today when Cyric and I were walking we were taken by surprise when a dog came out of its house just as we walked by. Cyric went berserk bc the dog was too close for him to stay under threshold for even a minute and I didn't have time to prepare. Usually I am very good at staying on my feet (except sometimes if there is super slick ice) but our feet got tangled and there was just nothing I could do about it. I went down hard. Thankfully I was only a block from getting back home. Nothing feels injured but I have some lovely scrapes and gouges and my elbow dripped blood the rest of the way home. It still hasn't completely stopped bleeding. I also hit the hand on that side and took a nice little chunk of skin, just above the wrist on the outer palm. And on the opposite side my knee is nicely scraped up but has stopped bleeding, but sadly I got a hole in the knee of my brand new blue tie dye CVG leggings. I am so bummed about that! I am grateful that Cyric is fine, I only have scrapes and bruises, and my Fitbit didn't break. I think it and the leash helped protect my hand and wrist from anything worse. But now I can't lift weights or do kettlebells till the hand heals some and can't do anything requiring kneeling on my knee or putting my elbow on the floor, so I guess that means cardio and standing, hands-free yoga for a few days. I need to start painting our bathroom today anyway so we'll see what that all means for workouts and for Murph that I had rescheduled yet again for next Monday. I'm starting to think I should just do it for Veterans' Day!

Anita, did you go to Spring Green just to meet friends? It sounds like you had a lovely little getaway. It's so pretty down there. Congrats on finishing your deck! What a big project to have checked off your to do list!

Paula, I hope you enjoy your little getaway. Good job sticking with your PT. I hope doing half each day is enough to keep your neck happy. I skipped everything while I was gone and didn't do much the four days since I've been home, and my hip, elbow and feet were complaining about it! Once session for my feet already has them feeling better, thankfully.

Laura, I'm so happy you were able to get away by yourself and do smthg enjoyable! Just reading your posts sometimes makes me feel anxious bc you never seem to get alone time and I'm someone who has to have that! I'm glad the conference was such a good thing for you!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-23, 07:37 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Today was a straightening day - and the cleaners aren't even coming. I had boxes to go through from deliveries for several days and then broke them down. And I washed a bunch of hand-wash dishes. And I put away some stuff from the WV trip I hadn't gotten to yet. This afternoon, I took DH to his PT appointment. I dropped in on the chiropractor, but they were having issues with their systems, so I figured I could go later this week. This evening, I had a training call on Zoom with someone.

Paula - Yeah, it was like a gut punch. I haven't lost many friends, if any. She may be the first of my friends from adulthood that has died.

Anita - Welcome back. I enjoyed reading your updates. It's good you got to borrow a friendly kitty. The funeral was Sunday, so we had no chance to go with me getting home on Saturday. It was just too quick.

Vantreesta - Awww thanks! It really was a good time. I'm sorry you fell! That can happen so quickly and easily. I hope you aren't too sore tomorrow from it and that you recover quickly. You WILL eventually get to your planned workouts!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-23, 09:07 PM  
Vantreesta

Laura, I'm sorry I missed about your friend. I'm so sorry for your loss, and that you couldn't go to the funeral.

My hand is really starting to hurt. I'm keeping an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get infected. There's a bump now under where there's a missing chunk of skin. Weirdly my left glutes are really hurting, and I didn't land on my butt! But it is the side of the knee I landed on plus hasn't been feeling great anyway, but I hope I didn't somehow damage smthg from the impact of the knee.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 07-18-23, 08:33 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

I bought some paint for my office space and will be working on the spots that the paint is needed - lots of clearing the areas, lots of fine sanding, taping and painting. And LOTS of cleaning afterwards . Otherwise putzing around, watering plants, moving some in the office back out to the porch, and weeding out back.

Vantreesta, I’m sorry you had such a bad fall . Rest and heal! Looks like we both have indoor painting on the plans. Yes, I went to Spring Green to meet friends - we’ve been doing it for about 20+ years! We always hit American Player’s Theater performances and shop the local towns. The main friends that organize this trip celebrate their marriage - 33 years this year! We rent out a B&B in town that accommodates us all (about 15 people) and enjoy that. Get checked out at the doctor’s office if your pains keep advancing or you’re noticing weird aspects to your injuries.

Laura, Straightening things up always gives me some relief around the house - hope you feel the same! I haven’t dealt with a death in my circle of friends yet, but am certainly dreading that day. I do see some notices of classmates from high school, college or vet school that have passed - it hits me hard also.

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 07-18-23, 11:11 AM  
Vantreesta

Anita, wow, that is a big group to still get together! That's really cool! And awesome that your friends are celebrating 33 years of marriage! I just called the nurse triage line about my hand wound. I wanted to be sure what I should be looking for in watching for infection, plus I wanted to know how to treat it now since I am allergic to Neosporin. She told me to make a saline solution and soak it for 20 min 3x a day for the next 2-3 days and also said I may be able to use Bacitracin. So I'm typing this with my left (non-dominant) hand while the right one soaks. Good brain exercise!

I lost a friend from HS in 2017 to cancer. She was three days younger than I am, and I'm only 47! We lost touch after HS but I spent so much time at her house and she at mine during those years. That was a really hard loss to accept.