Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-23, 08:41 AM  
Mickey12

Good morning Watulans!

Chele your husband sounds like the majority in not wanting to put the time in for maintenance exercises to keep his back healthy. It's tough because even though I know you would be a good cheerleader for him, he's the one who has to do them and the encouragement could end up being nagging (at least in his mind). I know I had that issue with my husband after he finished PT for his back quite a few years ago. He exercises regularly now though, due to his heart, so that's helping his back too.

Last night I decided on a really oldie - Charlene Prickett's Fat Fighter, high impact aerobics from the mid 1980's complete with headbands, white Reeboks, and leg warmers. I like doing those old workouts for a fun walk down memory lane.

This morning I did two more Jenny Ford step workouts. The first was in Rhode Island on a sunny beach and the second was a sunny day in Pennsylvania at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. The Pennsylvania one was especially fun because of all the exercisers at the "Rocky steps". I like to have stuff to watch to distract me since Jenny's choreography is so basic.

Enjoy the day, everyone!
Old 02-07-23, 10:47 AM  
ChelePA

Kim… you are absolutely right regarding my husband! We actually had a long talk last night. And I told him I feel like I am constantly nagging or trying to control the situation and at this point he needs to take responsibility for the issue. I think I get so nervous because he looks like he ages 20 years every time his back goes out. I worry for the future if he doesn’t start taking it seriously now. He definitely works long hours but now that DD is older, he should have more time in the evening to at least put in 20 to 30 minutes. When I first met him, he was very active. Life gets in the way. I’ve had moments where I’ve dropped out of exercising daily. But I’ve been pretty consistent the last 5-8 years. I realize how important it is physically, as well as mentally for me.

Bee… I’m really proud of my daughter for helping her friend, but I feel like an adult needs to step in. 18 year olds are definitely not ready for these type of circumstances. And both think they are taking care of the situation. For example, I found out last night that they think they fractured a rib during her surgery and that’s why she stayed the extra night and was in so much pain. No x-ray was done. They said it could be bruised or most likely a break. But nobody confirmed this. Then they released her on Advil only. Fractured ribs are extremely painful. I wanted to go down and advocate for her and find out what the situation was. But neither wanted my help. So now she’s back at the dorm. I told my my daughter to reach out immediately to me if the pain is unbearable or anything doesn’t seem right. So now she is healing from an emergency appendectomy and this rib situation too. Ugh!!!

Cataddict…FYI-Kat released an advanced step routine.

Upper body day. I started with Cathe’s 4DS high intensity step as a warm-up. Was going to do the whole routine on the floor and realized immediately that I don’t have the ability to do this one. The quick moves as well as impact is too much for my leg. So disappointing! I’m not sure why but it still surprises me that I can’t do these type of workouts anymore. And also saddens me. Decided to move on from my frustration and do the chest/back strength portion and then finish with Peloton upper body strength class plus core.
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-23, 10:59 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Oh my gosh, Chele, I'm horrified about your daughter's friend! She absolutely needs an advocate if her rib is broken. I can't imagine what kind of pain she must be in between an appy and a potentially broken rib, holy smokes! You are so wonderful to be willing to advocate if needed. Keep us posted on how she's doing.

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-23, 11:08 AM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybug View Post
Oh my gosh, Chele, I'm horrified about your daughter's friend! She absolutely needs an advocate if her rib is broken. I can't imagine what kind of pain she must be in between an appy and a potentially broken rib, holy smokes! You are so wonderful to be willing to advocate if needed. Keep us posted on how she's doing.
Thanks Kittybug. Unfortunately, she is 18 and with HIPAA laws, I can’t do anything. My daughter just met her this year since she’s in the same dorm suite and both majoring in SW. Family lives about an hour away but like I said, it’s a very difficult and sad situation. I just wish I could do more. Waiting to hear back from my daughter this morning to see how the night went.
Old 02-07-23, 02:21 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Hello all!

Time sure gets away from me…

Workouts: 1/31-this was a grandson day and I let my DH leave to go to the gym and I was in charge, more or less, of the boys. LOL. They are actually very good for me—much better than with my husband for whatever reason. They messed around outside for awhile until it started raining, played some video games, and played some card games separately with me. I think we all had a good time. Anyhoo I did some walking but nothing “formal.”

2/1: Ripped with HiiT Legs followed by Chris Dorner HiiT Style Cardio.

2/2: CL #379 Superset Circuit. I “think” this was the one that Kate was raving about—I also absolutely LOVED it! Two exercises for upper, followed by two exercises for lower. Good stuff! Followed it with TurboFire 30 minute “Fire” workout. Wow. So much fake, so little time. That said, it’s a good, quick 30 minute cardio finisher with modifications of course.

2/3: CL 299 PHA Barbell. It’s the last of the Live PHA workouts and I’ve been putting it off because I didn’t want to deal with the barbell. That said, I made it work and I liked it. The barbell does give it a different spin.

2/4: Walking only, followed by the Fork Lift (meaning birthday cake). We were looking for a specific cake at Wegmans, but it’s seasonal so we “settled” for chocolate. It was (and is, since we still have one more piece each), delicious.

2/5: Strong and Sweaty PHA Upper Body Split #1, followed by Chris Dorner 267-C Advanced with Michael as guest. Tons of fun! I am really getting spoiled by her great cuing and music.

2/6: Strong and Sweaty PHA Lower Body Split #2, followed by Chris Dorner Cardio Dance to FloRida. Great workout day! Love Chris’ dance workouts—I think I’m a frustrated dancer at heart. Of course I most likely look like the hippos in tutus in Fantasia, but a girl can dream. I was smiling during the whole thing, after working hard at the PHA premix.

Waves!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-23, 02:53 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I’m back!!

FN1/SHW, so sorry about your foot pain. I’m sure it’s super tough to try to avoid putting weight on it. Hope it improves soon! You have made me curious about Total Body Trisets with your comment about the music. I will have to pull it out now and have a listen. I usually don’t remember the music, although I despised the fake lyrics era and the howling woman in Rhythmic Step.

Chele, echoing my admiration for your daughter and totally agree that it’s a lot for 18 year olds to handle! Did the girl have appendicitis? It seems she must have had it for awhile for them to do emergency surgery—poor thing must have been hurting for awhile! She is lucky that your daughter was there and shame on her family. It must be frustrating not to be able to step in more to help.

Chele, I saw that Kat posted a new advanced workout. I’m going to add it on today, or at least that’s my plan. I’m sorry your DH is in a bad pattern with his back. I am so glad that my DH is *finally* making the gym a regular thing, but it took YEARS and honestly I don’t think it had anything to do with me. Whatever the reason, they have to make the decision for themselves. Wish I knew magic words, as I think my DH needs to vary his routine more. Hah! He’s taken a giant step into regular exercise, and now I want more!

manleym, my stylist told me the main things people do that damage their baby fine hair is use a ponytail holder (and she said they all do damage, despite claims on the packaging that they don’t) and sleeping on a “regular” pillowcase. I bought a cheap satiny pillowcase for my bed and that combined with the claw clip has mostly solved the damage problem.

Kim, thanks for your movie input. We aren’t movie goers, but if there is something really, really good we would go. It would also never occur to us to see 80 for Brady, because, well, as Chele put it, we are “burnt out” on anything Brady. Well, our case of burn out is comparable to the firepits of hell. Overrated, overexposed, just over. I was sad because I would have liked to see the 4 actresses perform together, but nope. I have a couple Charlene Prickett’s VHS tapes—I think the last one I tried was Charlene and the Bench Boys and I had to Joni O it after a few minutes. I loved Charlene in the day and she really was instrumental in my start down the road to fitness but now the moves just seem so uninspired.

horusosiris, so glad you posted about the STS bars. Hopefully there will be better information about them and that the tutorial will materialize soon.

bee, I hope things will return to “normal” for you soon. Re KCM—as you all know, I no longer do her workouts, but I do recall some weird compound moves that to me were more about being “different” than being effective. Cardio Sculpt Fitness was the one I remember in particular—some strange move with an Iron Cross, IIRC. It’s too bad when instructors sometimes appear to compromise safety for “originality” (not just pointing the finger at KCM, but she is one glaring example IMHO)

Kate, COLD! BRRR! Hope it’s warming up for you! Good your toe seems to be getting back to “normal.”

Waves to all! Moby out for now!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-23, 05:00 PM  
horusosiris

Chel- does the college have a health service? They may be able to assist her with follow up care and to receive visiting nurse services. Does she have post op followup care appointments and she should have been discharged with instructions and numbers to call if there are any problems. Did she have a laparoscopic appendectomy? The surgeons should not have fractured a rib doing an appendectomy. It sounds like something else transpired. How could the hospital dx a rib fracture without imaging? Congrats to your daughter and you for being a friend and offering assistance. I did CL core flow and liked it.

Cataddict- SNM said that Cathe will be posting a video soon. The bar is much more stable with the connection attachment. I used the bars today for a SBF barre workout. It also works well with a barre and for stretching. I really felt that thigh barre workout. Suzanne Bowenprovids some of the best instruction. Her comments made me take notice of my form and correct it. When I corrected tmy form I really felt the muscles working.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-23, 06:59 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Hi all,

Today I wanted to walk because we're unseasonably warm but then it looked like it was going to rain. I pulled out Cathe's MMA Kickboxing instead for something low-key and more painful foot friendly and this fit the bill nicely.

FN2, the music in Total Body Trisets reminds me of STS in the sense that it seems like an after thought, nothing goes with the movement, and it's, well, kinda awful! Like Lee-Press-On Rock and totally inappropriate for a fitness vid. Oh well! How is Krabby?

Horusosiris, so the dip bars are more stable now? NOT listening to you, nope, I don't need these, I don't need these....when is the video coming? I would LOVE to have them for barre too, sigh. I'm super glad you asked for one and that they're going to produce one. Thank you from all of us!

Waves!!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-23, 09:32 PM  
ChelePA

Horusosiris…thanks for the detailed info. Yes, they have Health Services located right in their dorm. They did give discharge instructions but we are talking about college kids following the rules. You know how that goes. My daughter is taking her to a post-op appointment on Thursday. Something definitely sounds wrong with the broken rib diagnosis especially with a lap appendectomy. That’s why I wish I could talk to the surgeon/nurses myself. I asked if they explained how it happened and my daughter said that they inserted a tube too hard. Hmmmm. Just doesn’t make sense. And why no X-ray. On a more positive note, she’s eating today and was able to shower. Hoping no issues with recovery.
Old 02-07-23, 09:48 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hey all! Chele, that is a very unfortunate situation with your daughter's friend. horusosiris, I had the same thought as you -- how in the world would they break/fracture a rib during that surgery? I wondered if maybe she has really brittle bones for some reason. Good thinking to see if the school could help out with some post-surgery care. Ah, and now I scrolled down and saw your update about her eating today -- that's a good sign.

Oh, and I can sympathize with the situation of the husband who used to be in shape and now doesn't take good care of himself at all -- and honestly, he never did purposefully -- he had youth on his side, and he enjoyed being active (and had time) previously. He has some torn tendons in his foot and he won't make an appointment with the surgeon! He drives me nuts. But he has a lot of anxiety with doctors, so I'm sure that's why he's not making the appointment. As for exercise, like others have mentioned, I think people have to decide for themselves to do it.

cataddict, I know exactly what you mean about getting creative with moves just for the sake of being unique. I hate that. And she is not the only one but it is definitely one of the reasons I don't reach for her workouts much anymore. It's too bad, because she has some good stuff in her collection and though I think back on some of them with fondness, I just don't really enjoy them much anymore when I actually do them.

Ok, naive question here.... is Tom Brady actually a big part of 80 for Brady? I figured he was mostly just a namesake for it, and not a big part of the movie. I did see that Jane and Lilly have a movie coming out maybe in spring that looks interesting. I think it's called "Moving On".

kittybug, thanks for letting me know about the extreme portion -- not so extreme. Not like the high step extreme workout where she inserts the step ups for every other movement, or whatever craziness it was.

Oh I want to try that #370 Superset Circuit you guys mentioned -- maybe tomorrow!

horusosiris, I hope you get the dip bars figured out! Sounds like Cathe definitely wants people to be happy with them. I'm sort of bummed I gave away my turbo tower. I just didn't really need it much anymore, but now that I'm sort of getting back into barre, it might be useful!

No workout for me today since I drove up to work long before the crack of dawn! I think I'm finally sort of standardizing on Tues/Thurs/Fri being go into the office days, so I will just plan my workouts for days other than those. It's less overall time than I'd like, but it's what works for now, I guess.

Tags
fierce watulans, watulan check-in