Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 02-09-23, 12:01 PM  
laurajhawk

I finished my 40-day sadhana on 1/29 and one thing I learned from it is that I'm worse than ever at checking in However, I did find it helpful to read the thread and I did succeed in my main goal of re-establishing my daily meditation practice Thank you all for that!

I was at my mom's for a week at the end of January and missed a couple days of meditation but have been sitting daily since I've been back.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-23, 02:13 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I'm doing a yoga webinar, and "sadhana" was pronounced "SA da na" - mind blown!

(Many of you probably had it correct, but for myself, I was saying "sad HAN a" in my head. )

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-23, 02:26 PM  
Vantreesta

I say it the same way you were, Beth!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-23, 02:48 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
I say it the same way you were, Beth!
Honestly, I don't use more Sanskirt when teaching b/c I'm always afraid I'll mess it up! I think it's a very accessible language though, and I love the sounds of the words. I can generally write the pose names better than I can teach them!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 02-19-23, 10:44 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

~20 minutes

Day 33 (2/08): visualization (light)
Day 34 (2/09): flower (image)
Day 35 (2/10): candle (image)
Day 36 (2/11): breathing (awareness)
Day 37 (2/12): mantra
Day 38 (2/13): asana (sensations in savasana)
Day 39 (2/14): incense (image)
Day 40 (2/15): yantra

I never found one clear "favorite" (or any one choice that I'd choose, or even reject, by any set of criteria that entered my mind).

Since ending the sadhana, I haven't continued with the same thing, but because of things like continuing short-term medical limitations and using time for different things, not because of anything like distaste or burnout. I'll remember this experience in thinking about what I'll do in the future.

I also hope to have a little more posting later discussing a few other things, such as body scans and yoga nidra.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-23, 12:04 PM  
Izzy

I am going to continue to the spring equinox on March 20th.

What I have learned is doing at least 4 yoga classes a week has done wonders for my body. I am loving the hot yoga and wish I could do at least 2 a week. My balance is better and I feel more flexible. It has not made my hip bones any wider or flexible nor has it made my short arms any longer but oh well on that.

I feel good about my consistency and when I didn't do a yoga class, I did meditations on my walks which helped.
Old 02-21-23, 12:11 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

That's great Mary!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 02-27-23, 01:14 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

It's great to read about everyone's experiences!

A note before I post a reply about body scans and the like:

I've begun a different sadhana-like idea based on something meditative (not one of the specific practices mentioned earlier in this thread). I won't be reporting specifics here, but I mention what I'm doing for the sake of noting (again) that the sadhana idea is useful for me, at least as a mnemonic structure for practice and study, and I'll probably begin another one in April, when I should be more physically capable of doing something with more movement.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
Old 03-06-23, 09:11 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
The other thing I have learned or come to realize is that I don't like progressive body scans. Those also raise my anxiety a bit and make me feel very twitchy. I don't know if that's related to my RLS or just that's the way I am but I'm happy to also have realized this. I love the bedtime stories on Insight Timer as well as music and soundscapes but the yoga nidra ones I have tried have all had the body scan so I'm not trying those anymore.
Here I wonder what other things may work for you and others who feel similarly, though I'm not demanding a reply here or anything like that. If anyone's interested in asking such a question, this question may be an idea for a new thread. So far I've had some experience with things called "yoga nidra" and have found mainly (or only) practices with body scans. I myself haven't had general problems with body scans as such, but I don't tend to find "progressive muscle relaxation"--with successive tensing and relaxing various parts--as psychologically relaxing as some sources have implied.

P.S.

By next week or so (depending on what happens with a major medical procedure currently scheduled for later this week --I do hope for it to resolve the problems that have inhibited my physical activity for some time), I hope to begin something different that doesn't involve body scans (as I think of the term) but does involve inducing feelings in various parts of the body, something called autogenic training.

I'll be trying a 14-week training program from a book; similar phrasing appears in a PDF handout from the US Veterans Health Administration titled "Autogenic Training" and another PDF which it cites, a document with the same name from the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Medicine and Public Health.

My primary goal isn't stress reduction or relaxation as such, but I've found previous trials with the beginning stages ("my [limb] is getting heavy") very relaxing and haven't finished the whole 14 weeks in previous attempts not from unease or discomfort because of different practical reasons. (An extended recovery period may be a good opportunity for me to try it again.)

I was already aware that 14 weeks is 98 days and have considered attaching something like a sadhana-inspired reading schedule to at least part of it. Our recent mentions of yoga nidra remind me of how I didn't do yoga nidra during the sadhana period this year, and if I have the time, I may try it somewhat regularly then. (After that time, I hope to be better able to try something more physically demanding.)

The Velveteen Rabbit
Old 03-06-23, 12:10 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by hch View Post
Here I wonder what other things may work for you and others who feel similarly, though I'm not demanding a reply here or anything like that. If anyone's interested in asking such a question, this question may be an idea for a new thread. So far I've had some experience with things called "yoga nidra" and have found mainly (or only) practices with body scans. I myself haven't had general problems with body scans as such, but I don't tend to find "progressive muscle relaxation"--with successive tensing and relaxing various parts--as psychologically relaxing as some sources have implied.

P.S.

By next week or so (depending on what happens with a major medical procedure currently scheduled for later this week --I do hope for it to resolve the problems that have inhibited my physical activity for some time), I hope to begin something different that doesn't involve body scans (as I think of the term) but does involve inducing feelings in various parts of the body, something called autogenic training.

I'll be trying a 14-week training program from a book; similar phrasing appears in a PDF handout from the US Veterans Health Administration titled "Autogenic Training" and another PDF which it cites, a document with the same name from the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Medicine and Public Health.

My primary goal isn't stress reduction or relaxation as such, but I've found previous trials with the beginning stages ("my [limb] is getting heavy") very relaxing and haven't finished the whole 14 weeks in previous attempts not from unease or discomfort because of different practical reasons. (An extended recovery period may be a good opportunity for me to try it again.)

I was already aware that 14 weeks is 98 days and have considered attaching something like a sadhana-inspired reading schedule to at least part of it. Our recent mentions of yoga nidra remind me of how I didn't do yoga nidra during the sadhana period this year, and if I have the time, I may try it somewhat regularly then. (After that time, I hope to be better able to try something more physically demanding.)
I haven't heard of autogenic training but will look into it. Thanks for providing links!

I hope your medical procedure alleviates your physical limitations and is successful! Wishing you a full and speedy recovery after the procedure.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sadhana, vf sadhana