Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 03-20-23, 08:24 AM  
Buzzer

Dove 2... Kinda... DONE!

Man, my muscles were sore still!!! I did Dove 2 on Saturday, just doing a little leap forward ala Sandahl in the Firm (Vol 3?) instead of lunges. I did do the side lying legs though. I just kinda skipped all the major leg movements and did some Sandahls I used 8's and went slower than her, until the "red hots" then dropped to 3's the rest of the workout. I was SO wiped out all day! I had to take LB to her prep cycle for martial arts (I am still working on calling it martial arts instead of karate!) and ended up laying in bed from about 5pm - 7pm. I was just wiped. out.

Yesterday I took the day off, because I knew that although I felt better, doing another workout or run would wipe me out again. Today I feel better, but still a little sore so I think I will do a yoga or stretch instead and give myself one more day before I run through town for 30 minutes! This time, the trainer can go his speed, I'll slow it down for me and go slower again. I like working out, however I need to do it so I don't kill myself for 4 days afterward!

Lucie: I totally wish my runs were truly with the trainer and out in Switzerland!!! I have something called "IFit" on my treadmill. It's an attached TV screen, and I can pick my trainer (I am running with Tommy Rivs) and where we are. I did a beginner series in Portugal and Morocco, and now I am hiking and running through the Swiss Alps. We have seen the Matterhorn! I am learning all sorts of history, geology, and physiology with Rivs (as we, his friends like to call him ) It's fun! This man is such a wealth of knowledge. I have LB starting the beginner running series with him since she has to run for martial arts. I stand with her to make sure she's OK and listen to what he has to say again! He teaches us how to speak other languages also. He is fascinating!

Hi Ebianco! I hope you are healing well! Hopefully we have you back soon!

Hi Eventmom!!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-23, 12:28 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Sat - Action Jac. (AJ) Gentle Barre 5 + gentle legs + tried the quick workout from the core rhythms set I found at a thrift store. I didn't hate the core rhythms LOL.
Sun - AJ gentle yoga sculpt + brand fitness youtube walk
today - AJ define barre 1 + AJ define abs

So there is 90 day program on the app I have, I did the first level for 2 weeks and moved up to the next level today. It is much more challenging but do-able.

lucie - so not sure when I last had pie but I'm no help on sleep. haven't found much that is helpful.

buzzer - those runs must be tough but it sounds fun to see the different scenery and here about the locations.

hi ebianco!
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-23, 12:03 PM  
Buzzer

DDP Yoga, 58 minute one.. DONE!
Ran with trainer 2.5 miles through town in Switzerland.. DONE!

I found DDP Yoga at ARC on Sunday. Just discs 1 and 2, but it was only $2.99!! Totally grabbed it. I didn't look through to see if any other discs were there, however I am kicking myself for that choice now. I will try to go later this week and see if I can find other discs. The Yoga is good. It is regular yoga, however he isn't all "relax. Get into your chakras" instead he is calls the moves something else more "manly" and has you contracting your muscles. I liked it though! It was fun and different. Most of disc 1 is the "diamond 12" which I haven't looked at yet, and some parts. Oh, I also did the ab workout, which was about 15 minutes, and I loved that. It was easier, old school type abs rather than endless planks. I am glad I got it!

Today I ran with the trainer through town. I finally, after 4 days of recovery, felt like I could run again. That last run really got me! I wasn't 100% for sure, I kept my speed slower (4.1 ish) and walked on the 6-10% inclines. Fast walk, but walked. I am still not totally recovered, but I did it. I ran 2.5 miles with him, then did .5 miles on my cool down for a total of 3 miles. I love that!! It doesn't seem like much, but for me it has been a struggle to get back to 3 miles. I looked at my year to date mileage, and so far I have run 66 miles! I don't see it or feel it, however I guess I feel better and stronger. I do love running.

Lucie: Interesting questions! HA! my favorite pie right now is apple. With the crumble top. I could eat a piece every day if I let myself!! With lots of whipped cream. No wonder I don't see results with my running! My usual favorite pies are pumpkin and pecan though. With lots of pecans, not those pies with a gelatin inside and just a floating of pecans on the top. That's gross.

As far as sleep, that has been a topic on this check in. We kinda suck at it. I have gotten better since Ebianco suggested zzzquil, now I get about 6-7 hours a night! Which I haven't seen consistently since I was about 19 years old. I used to get only about 4 a night, and be up at 3am. I do miss my alone time, however I don't miss being groggy and grouchy all day!

Eventmom: I am totally loving the trainer. I am learning about so many countries I may never see in real life. It's amazing. To just run through, and see what you don't see on TV. The every day-ness of it. So cool. He's so informative too. He's been there done that with running and physiology, and he explains in laymen's terms. I love running with him! The time just flies by. Usually on a treadmill it feels like forever, however 30 minutes is gone in the blink of an eye, because I'm not looking at the time, I'm learning and moving. So cool.

Hi Ebianco! I hope you are doing well, You have a lot of recovering to do physically and mentally. I hope you are relaxing and clearing your mind in this down time We still pray for you every day. You are just going through so much lately!!!
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 03-21-23, 03:26 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

today - AJ define barre cardio 2 + AJ 10 dance cardo, not that barre lots of plank and things like that. not a favorite of hers. She works out barefoot and usually I'm able to as well but I had to put on shoes as she was doing ballet jumps in the barre.

buzzer - great thrift store find. it's always fun to try something for cheap. If it doesn't work for me I don't mind donating it back out. great job on the run.

hi lucie & ebianco! hope you are well.
Old 03-21-23, 07:56 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi everyone! Sorry I've been so absent lately. I successfully had my stitches removed on Friday and was cleared to return to my normal exercise, yeah!!!

So on Saturday I did Firm Tortoise and I was so ready to return to exercise I went pretty heavy with my weights, and it slayed me LOL I thought, would I have lost strength in just 1.5 weeks?? But it was heavy weights for a Firm workout even a slower and heavy style Firm. Anyway it was wonderful!!

Then on Sunday I finished the Pure Barre Resistance Series with #4 and I am still barre-weak as buzzer phrased it LOL. I was hoping I would be ready for the harder Focus series next but I may just repeat Resistance again LOL. They are a little shorter and easier by comparison. I also warmed up with Cathe LITE series Cardio Party the first 20 minutes, and callanetics stretch after for a 75 minute workout. Yeah!

Monday and today were planned rest days. Tomorrow is insane with the office and getting dogs groomed, but I plan to squeeze in ACE HIIT total body again with Chris Freytag because it really invigorates me and it is in and out when I'm short on time. Then a Caroline Girvan upper body on Thursday, but hopefully I will be back to check in by then! I am hosting a birthday party for my niece on Saturday and I'm scrambling to get the house clean, dogs clean (hence the grooming LOL), organized, tidied, etc. and figuring out food too closer to that date. Plus working the new job and office tomorrow and squeezing exercise in It is such a crazy week!!

Lucie Welcome!!! One of my dog's names is Lucy A quick introduction for me, I've been with VF since 2006 and been exercising with exercise videos since 2005, back when they were on VHS LOL. Over the past 1.5 years or so I've been heavily focused on Caroline Girvan on youtube doing her heavy lifting, I especially like her EPIC Heat series but I also did Iron, and lots of EPIC 3 before I had to take a break. But I also really love Pure Barre, the newer ones (Focus, Resistance, Sculpted Abs series), Firm classic workouts (occasionally Pink/Express/BSS series/Zip trainer Firms but my knees don't love those), some Cathe especially her strength, some pilates, some yoga, rarely but should do more Classical Stretch, Barlates, and when I'm feeling really bold (but haven't recently LOL) Tonique, Dream Body, and Horizontal Conditioning. I have 500+ workouts but those are the ones I really like the most. And on YouTube I send 95% of my time on Caroline Girvan, but also like similar instructors like Daniel PT, Vera la Ro, fitness_kaykay, growingnans, Heather Robertson, etc. and for walking I really like Gina B and some grow with jo. I used to love running but I stopped because it was killing my knees. Now my knees feel fabulous!

I'm married, no kids but several siblings/nieces/nephews and I have 7 dogs Five little doggies and two bigger ones. I'm not even sure buzzer and eventmom realize I am up to 7 now (insert face palm emoji). We had to take back my sister's dog (my sister recently passed away from cancer ) an elderly border collie/catahula mix who is about 40 pounds and count her as one of the big dogs, along with a white german shepherd (husband's dog), 3 shih-tzus, 1 pomeranian, 1 yorkie.

My favorite pie-I'm not a huge pie fan (would prefer cake or cookies LOL) but I would say pecan pie and like buzzer said, the good kind with nuts throughout and not just on top!

My favorite sleep is lots of it I have always been a sleep enthusiast even as a kid, always an early bird never a night owl, and occasionally take zquil to help me sleep if I can't wind down. I aim for 10 hours a night but my apple watch indicates I consistently get 9 hours, which is still really great.

Anyway welcome again!!

Eventmom It's funny because I don't like any jumping at the barre unless it's Dream Body and I'm really mentally prepared for it LOL. And that's not very often anymore. I like planks but not too many planks for sure.

Buzzer Thank you again for your kind words and positive energy sent my way I am taking it day by day and it's going okay. Just trying to stay on top of it all! Maybe it's a blessing that it's been so busy in my life lately.

Dove 2 sounds amazing, I definitely want to get the set now!!! I've heard DDP Yoga is really good!
Old 03-22-23, 03:09 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

essentrics flex. for athletes

ebianco - seven dogs!! LOL. somehow I missed that! it's kind that you took on your sister's dog. and can I sort of hate your for your sleep ability? just kidding, I'm in awe I'd love to get 7 and a half but it's been years. the jumping was ballet type jumping but my feet and knees were not happy. Our house, like most in this part of the country, is built on a concrete pad. Carpet isn't that much protection. My DC shoes are capezio lots of padding under the ball of my foot

waves Lucie & Buzzer!
Old 03-22-23, 06:49 PM  
lgk

Hi Ladies -

Thanks so much for the kind welcome.
I am quite shy in the beginning but will hopefully start posting more, after all I tried really hard to get back on VF.

Buzzer, welcome to Switzerland! I hope you make it to my side soon, i. e. French-Swiss Alps & Mont Blanc. I also hope you do get to see these & many other mountains in person (trainer is optional )
I hear you re camping on a mountain by the trail soon, I haven’t done that in ages!
So glad you found something to help sleep. I sometimes use sleep hypnosis when I need it, it’s like somebody reading stories. Re sleep - I heard about International Sleep Day on BBC 2 & it went well with pie day, so I asked - on the radio they were mostly playing songs about sleep or telling funny stories. Excellent choice with pies, totally agree!

ebianco - So nice to meet you! Ha, I like my name, don’t mind sharing
as long as one lives up to a Lucy standard .
How did you get into Caroline G ? Her workouts are rumored to be really challenging, good on you! I work out with a YouTube trainer too, but never tried Caroline though, maybe some time later, I am for now quite happy with the ones I am doing.
You are v brave to wear Apple Watch to sleep

eventmom your workouts sound so very graceful! I never quite mastered any dance or ballet moves, can’t believe I used to do ballet in my youth at all Are you doing any kind of planned rotation with the AJ app? 5 parks yoga is great, she hadn’t posted any new practices in a while, not that I’ve done all her existing ones Her outdoor practices are my favorite.
Do you remember Eoin Finn? I’ve kept in touch with them, still practice mostly with them when looking for power or any yoga.

Thank you so much again for the kind words, Ladies, honored to be part of this check in, thank you!

Vous pouvez sortir Mademoiselle de Paris, mais vous ne pouvez pas sortir Paris de Mademoiselle.
The ball is round, a game lasts 90 minutes, everything else is pure theory. Off we go!

Passionate about Kundalini Yoga and Running.
Berlin Marathon - September 28, 2008.
lgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-23, 11:13 AM  
Buzzer

Firm upper body (the one with two small fanny lifters side by side on triceps and pushups)...DONE!
Hiked up mountain in Swiss Alps.. DONE!

The upper body was good. I didn't do the pushups on my toes, I did them on my knees. I also had to rest a second on the triceps dips. I just feel like I kept working out all these years and lost strength. I guess that's called getting older or something. I am trying to get it back.

I used 12's as my heavy weight, and 5's as my light. It was good. I looked at my 15's, but 12's sounded better after way too Long of not lifting heavy!! I enjoyed it.

Today I did a hike up the Swiss Alps. The incline went up to 35%, and 8% was a resting incline!! There were 3 separate points of climbing, so between each I took a 30 second rest. My heart rate was up to 160/162 at some of the climbing! It was hard! We did 1.5 miles in 30 minutes, so a lot of it was slow slow slow. Like, 2mph slow. However, my heart rate was way up there. It felt good! Hard though! Hard to believe too that I am working so hard and not running.

The weather is beautiful. My washer finally kicked off this week, so my sister is bringing hers this morning (and the matching dryer). I am so excited to get them! Our laundry is piling up! It was to the point that I could put 1 LB outfit in the washer and get it washed. Anything more than that, it would give me a code. So I am glad to get a new (to me) washer!! The matching dryer is just icing on the cake.

Lucie: I didn't know that's where you lived! That's awesome! I looked through today to see if there are any hikes in your area, however DH started talking to me so I had to end looking. That's so cool! I'll let you know if I'm in your "area"!!

Sleep for some reason has never come easy to me. Even now, taking zzzquil, I lay in bed at night and worry on whether I will sleep enough. I am doing much better, however I also worry the zzzquil will lose it's impact and I will be sleepless again. Sleep has always been a stress for me! I even quit caffeine, however it made no difference. Zzzquil makes my difference. If they ever stop making it, I will buy as much as I can and hopefully last through the rest of my life with it!! HA!

Eventmom: We once again have our windows open today. It snowed a bit yesterday, now today... taa daa!!! Spring. then snow the next few days is predicted. I just feel tired of snow, and we haven't even gotten much this year. Of course, I always get tired of it by this time. March is supposed to be our snowiest month, and so far it's been a dud.

Ebianco: I am so glad you are cleared to workout!! I didn't realize you now had 7 doggos!! That's LB's dream. She would love your little pack! I love that you have your sister's dog now What a sweet addition to your family.
I'm telling ya, I am loving the Doves. I won't tell you to get them, however I am very glad I did! It's just different. Each one is the same but different too. I am totally in love with all 3 I have done, I need to do the last one now. I read the criticisms, however I am not finding any of the detail things that drove people nuts (background, her presentation, the participants) annoying. The workouts are really solid. As far as DDP, I do love it, however it's yoga. I would not get them at full price, but finding them at ARC is the right price. Otherwise, just get a yoga and have a guy talk loudly to you, keep your energy up, and rename all the poses.
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 03-23-23, 02:24 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi everyone!

Catching up with yesterday's workout which was ACE HIIT Total Body with Chris Freytag, this has been my go-to for a quickie workout before work in my in office day and it continues to be awesome! It felt harder this time, I was really gasping for breath maybe from the 1.5 week workout break? Hoping it will be a teensy bit easier next week but I did feel quite invigorated after.

Today I went out for a 2-mile outdoor walk before work which was great, then for exercise I did Caroline IRON upper body (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UFv...pnlES&index=42) which was great, I did a little more biceps/triceps in lieu of shoulders at the end to even it out. I'm just cycling through her total upper body workouts on Thursdays and it's been working out great. I warmed up with some youtube zumba and with final stretch it was a 53 minute workout.

Tomorrow is pilates and i'm down to just two 10MS DVDs left to cycle through, or else Barlates or youtube or repeating. If I'm feeling ambitious I'm going to do the Andrea 10MS or if not I'm doing the stability ball one with Lara. Then a total body Firm on Saturday-maybe Total Body Shaping Mix? Trying to hit all the good ones with no repeats yet. Then Sunday is barre, if I'm feeling ambitious I'll do a Focus or else I'll restart the Resistance series or Sculpted Abs haha.

Eventmom and Buzzer haha yes back to 7 dogs, it's a lot! But the five little ones are very bonded and even the big ones are bonded with each other and the little ones. The little ones all went to the groomer yesterday and even the tech there said "Wow your dogs are so bonded they didn't want to be separated!" so they're just very sweet and well behaved So it isn't hugely overwhelming LOL

Buzzer So glad that the Dove DVDs are excellent!! Even if the fourth is a dud for some reason that's 3/4 that were amazing at a good price too! I'm glad you love the DDP yoga too! That one was very well received when it was new.

The hike up the swiss alps sounds fun!

Lucie I'm sure you live up to the Lucy standard

I don't remember how I got into Caroline, her workouts just looked SO polished and I was hooked pretty much from the first workout. I did them randomly/cherrpicked for about a year before I decided to just do her rotations-Epic Heat then Iron then Epic 3. like any strength, they can be as easy or hard as you like but I try to go very heavy on the weights and they are really hard. I will say she uses way heavier weights than me, she's a machine! But I've really built strength significantly with her. I hope she comes back to YouTube someday! But she has so much content I can be busy for years doing her old stuff.

so who are you working out to on youtube? You didn't say?

Haha I don't mind wearing the watch for sleeping, in fact I love checking out my 'grade' as it were the next morning. Sometimes I think I slept great and didn't get as much deep sleep as I would have thought, other days the opposite. But mostly it's like yep that looks about right!
Old 03-24-23, 06:55 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

yesterday - aj define full body 3
today - aj define full body cardio 4 + standing cool down

so since I switched to the second level of this program I redid the 'assessment' - things like how many push ups can you do, hold a pile, etc. Most were improved which surprised me because I found the first level somewhat easy.

lucie - yes on the app! she released a 90 day barre program with 3 phases, the first phase was on the easy side so I did it for 2 weeks instead of 4. I found this trainer years ago when I needed something I could use traveling (before youtube had a billion workouts) and bought a program she had with alomoves. found her again on youtube but bought the app to avoid commercials and she has some workouts that don't get posted to youtube. I kept most of my Eoin Finn workouts - unfortunately tons of downdogs and chaturangas don't agree with my upper body - 1 surgery (I think you might know about that) and 2 fractures make those hard but when I want a power yoga fix he's my go to! Did you hear that his wife is battling cancer? Very sad hoping she will recover.

buzzer - the weather here is making me crazy! we had one great day then two wet rainy days when I had to drive. but reading about CA getting all the water that they so desperately need I'm overall glad to deal with what hits up. congrats on the 'new' washer - I go through so much laundry with barn clothes, workout clothes., etc.

ebianco - so I found a 10 min solution pilates at goodwill and didn't buy it, I couldn't remember why I was thinking, I reallyl ought to buy this! probably because of you.

Tags
fitprime just right