Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 02-01-23, 01:22 AM  
Helen

Every day in February - the year is moving - so are WE! Join us, we'd love it!!

Welcome to the "Every Day Check-In"

GROUP
Lately, we've been an awesome foursome but we all love it when newcomers pop in, and even better when they stay.
If you've been hunting for a checkin (a new one, another one, your first one....) - give us a try!

WORKOUTS
We don't focus on any kind of workouts, just daily activity. Something is always better than nothing - there's no pressure to lift or sweat in particular. The focus is to do something related to exercise EVERY DAY.

Anything goes - a simple list of what you've done for the day/week (drive-by posts) through to daily essays that include workouts, life, loves, laughs, and venting are ALL OK.

LEXICON
  • WERD = Well-earned rest day (when your body says to pause, listen)
  • TERD = Totally expected rest day (planned rest, life events, ....)
  • TURD = Totally unexpected rest day (emphasis on singular, but stuff happens y’know?)
  • HERD of TURDS. Usually declared after the 3rd TURD in a row. Physical and mental health are always better with daily movement - be good to yourself and shift that herd!
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-23, 05:44 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Helen - thank you for starting us off once again!

2/1 - dog walk
Star Trainer's Strength Espresso w/ Gay Gasper, 20 min.
Up to the Beat's 30 Min. Dance & HIIT Workout
plank (need to be more consistent, as I didn't last as long today)

I really need to figure out a rotation or at least something to focus on for the month.

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt
LiliMagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-23, 08:47 PM  
Vantreesta

I finished up my January jump rope challenge yesterday. I did 21 workouts in only 10 days, but they weren't consecutive. But I figured my body could use an easy day today so all I did was day 8 of Yoga with Adriene's Center challenge. It worked out great bc today was Melt so it was gentle and restorative.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-23, 02:12 AM  
Helen

LILI
• Oh, it's been SO long since I did a Gay Gasper!
• Gina's Up To The Beat workouts were unfamiliar - just spent some time poking through them - not bad at all!!
• There's not WAY I would have done a workout last night after finishing school-work, UNLESS I had a rotation to follow, and two other people following it WITH me. Even a map of KINDS of things to do, and maybe a minimum duration for them? Would that help?

VANNIE
Well done for sticking it out to get the jump-rope challenge done!
Doing a Yoga With Adriene COUNTS!

CLEDA
You need your arrow, and we need YOU!!

Wed-1-Feb
60min, walk, with school, easy pace as it was SO HOT!
30min, dog walk, around dusk, too hot for her any earlier
56min, Cathe - STS - Meso 1 - Week 1 - 02 Back & Triceps

I was stupid and did my school-work first, and the workout after it was done -so finished the workout at 11:30pm, then pack up, then shower....

If was 99F at home-time today, so even hotter in the middle of the day.
As soon as I got home, had a cool shower. Dragged Alice in with me and completely soaked her too. On the staff-rooms have A/C, not the class-rooms.

• Resistance training is critical. 💯

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 02-02-23, 05:07 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post

CLEDA
You need your arrow, and we need YOU!!

If was 99F at home-time today, so even hotter in the middle of the day.
Helen: So sweet - and You are so right!!! I came to get my arrow. (That's not true! I came to post and forgot it's February, read your post and your shout out and thought Hmmmm. She's right! I NEED my arrow. So here I am!)

Even 99 degrees is a bit too warm for me. and I like the summer/heat!

I also know what you mean about meeting a friend. Tuesday (Still Jan. have to go back and post in that thread) After work, I met Daphne on the bike and we did Jenn Sherman's Billy joel ride. She told me awhile ago she wanted to do it and I like that ride. We had a great time! And I should do it more often. I don't bail after work if I'm meeting someone (even if it's virtually!)

Vantreesta: I applaud you for the challenge. I never started with a regular rope. Just went straight to the weighted ropes. I still say - it's a tough workout. I should probably start with a non weighted rope. I'm guessing it would be eaiser. You earned a nice gentle day for sure.

Lili: I know what you mean about planks. Use it or lose it!

2/1/2023: Rowing 15 mins.

Not a long workout, but it counts and I needed a slowish day. I came home from work, sat on the couch and fell asleep. Got up from the couch and went to bed, so obviously? I was tired! Sleep is important also.

The commit to fit challenge (rowing) on Hydrow has begun, which is my focus for Feb. Rowing and boxing with whatever else thrown in there. Should be a nice month of variety!!!

Have a great day.
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-23, 04:44 PM  
Helen

YAY! Cleda's here!

Thu-2
45min, dog walk
That was it - just too stinking hot to do anything else, BUT it's Friday morning, and MUCH cooler (I'm even wearing a cardigan!) so hoping to do last night's scheduled MMA - Boxing when I get home, then walk Alice, and do STS - Legs in the usual time-slot of 7:30.

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 02-03-23, 03:38 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Helen - It's hard to even think about working out in those temps! Glad it was cooler this morning.
Vantreesta - Good job finishing the challenge! An easy day was definitely in order!
Cleda - Good to see you! Glad you enjoyed your ride with Daphne!

2/2 - 4.4 mile hike with hubby. Shockingly, it was his suggestion! Pretty cold out, but it was nice.

2/3 - short dog walk (cold!)
Unplugged 2023
30 Minute Walk + Run w/ Rebecca Kennedy
10 Minute Post Run Stretch
plank and push-ups

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt

Last edited by LiliMagill; 02-03-23 at 06:21 PM. Reason: adding today's workout
LiliMagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-23, 03:40 PM  
Vantreesta

Thu 2/2 113 minutes
12 minutes (from toe yoga and foot mobility)
10 minutes (from L. Sansone Mix+Match Walk Blasters -Brisk & Steady)
14 minutes (from David O Yoga -Fresh Start 30 Day Morning Yoga Challenge day 10 -15 Minute Morning Yoga Workout for Core, Abs & Butt, YT) 1st time
12 minutes (from C. Jordan Hamstring Tendonitis Pain: Exercises That Will Help Heal Your Hamstrings part 2, YT)
10 minutes (from Barre Fitness 31 Day Challenge day 10 -10 Minute Barre Arms Workout, YT) 1st time
23 minutes (from Yoga With Adriene -CENTER 30 Day Yoga Journey day 9 Corazon, YT) 1st time
32 minutes (from 2 dog walks 1.81 mi) -28 wind chill tonight so no walk

Fri 2/3 0 minutes
8 minutes (from toe yoga and foot mobility)
10 minutes (from own stretch & mobility)
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-23, 08:04 PM  
Helen

LILI
That's wonderful that your DH suggested to go!

VANNIE
A barre challenge?! Oooff - I find just one workout of those challenging! They always hit me hard.

CLEDA
Heyoo..!

Yes, Lili, the temp was awful - hence didn't get to it.
Friday, gradually became hotter throughout the day. At home-time (3:30) it was 99F again. Nope, didn't happen - not even a dog walk. Predicted top is just 81F for Sat., so will need to play catch-up today instead.

ETA
Ugh! I had been whaling around in a funk all morning (just after noon now) and came to the computer SPECIFICALLY to do a list - then did my checkins and what I came for went pffttt....

Hence the add. So:
MUST:
DONE Make batches of Alice's dinner for freezer (it's all cooked in the pot)
DONE, washx3, pegx2 Washing (need fresh work clothes)
DONE, 15min, quick poo-walk + 60min, beach trip Walk Alice
NOPE 49min, Cathe - Shock Cardio - MMA - Boxing
SHOULD:
Weeding
DONE Make new batch of kombucha
Cathe - STS - Meso 1 - Week 1 - 03 Legs
NICE:
DONE - repotting: 1 bromeliad + 1 cordylineRepotting
Day 01 of Yoga with Adriene - 2015 30-Day Challenge
Balance Meditation App - Lesson 2
WORK: (last - in the evening, on the couch, with TV)
DONE - Extension 1 maths questions - exercise 14A (for Monday)
Extension 1 maths questions - exercise 14B (so ready for Thursday)
Update Canvas (website) so students can download pdf texts

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 02-04-23, 05:07 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Must not get too far behind

So, I better post!!!

Helen: 81 F Sounds much better than 99 F. (and yes I went back to make sure you marked it in Farenheit! ) Not going to fool me. (duh. .. I need more coffee!!! Yep. I (obviously!) do not do conversions on the fly on a decaffeinated brain.

Lili: Good for dh suggesting the walk. I have a run/walk for you to try! Wasn't sure you were doing them and then saw you posted one in your check in. It's Jon Hosking 30 mins. Disney Walk + Run from Tues. 11/22/22 at 2:00 p.m. It's fun, it's cute happy music and the time went fast.

Waves to Vantreesta!

ON to me:

2/2/2022: Disney Run/Walk with Jon Hosking 30 mins. It was great fun and I'm going to bookmark to do again! No pressure (I ignore their cues to go faster, it was Intermediate speeds and my run is not nor never will be 6 mph). So I go at my own pace. I still have my speeds listed on a post it above the tread that I used for my Run Challenge. Good enough for me.

2/3/2023: 5 mins. Warm Up Row, 10 mins. Sweat Row & 5 mins. cool down row (forget who the instructors were) and then 30 mins. low impact ride with Bradley Rose

They always say: Low impact does not mean easy. And while that might be the case, I always feel they are easy. I usually keep the resistance at 5-10 points higher than they recommend and about the highest I go is Zone 2 and that's NOT for very long. The majority of the ride is in zone 1. But my heart rate is slightly elevated. So I know it counts.

No egg weights. Ran out of time both days and I'll admit, the run/walk made me sore(r) than I thought it would. I also was looking at ONE of Cathe's boxing workouts (forget which one) because that would lend itself nicely as well to the egg weights and lo and behold Helen posted one in her check in.

Ok, gotta run. it's 1 degree out and the furnace has been running almost non stop. I have to work today. We went out shopping in this bitter cold weather. Don't ask me why (Dh's suggestion). His comment? The car has heat. But the wind whipped right through us. It was bitter, bitter cold out. 10 degrees while we were out with wind chills making it feel miserable. this will only last about 24 more hours and then back to reasonable/seasonable? temps. I can't complain. The winter has not been that bad this year.

Make it a great day!
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote