Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-28-21, 08:20 PM  
Sarah O.
VF Supporter

In praise of “mindless” four-limbed aerobics

I was doing Firm Cardio Split today and toward the end, there’s a section with Jen Carmen leading four-limbed aerobics and it’s just double step touches with upright rows and hamstring curls with biceps, over and over and over...and I loved it. I think the music helped, but I felt the same when I was doing Firm Strength the other day and there was an aerobic section with cha-chas and tricep work (Pam Cauthen is just so soothing) and when I did Volume 6 with its many reps. I don’t know if it’s the distressing times, my work, or my age, but I am just loving these moments of uncomplicated, four-limbed movements. I think of them as mindless, but that really isn’t the right word since the easy choreography allows me to concentrate on form. I don’t think I’d be up for seriously complicated choreography (which I used to love) these days. Anyone else know what I’m driving at?
Sarah O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-21, 08:36 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

I am exactly where you are right now. I had a complicated year this past year, and I used to really enjoy complex choreography, but for the past few months I have been seeking out SIMPLE workouts.

I purchased Jenny Ford's Step Hero DVD and it's a great, mindless cardio because she's really just drilling the same step movements over and over. Anything that requires real choreography is not on my radar right now. The trick is finding that combination of simple yet still challenging enough to be worth the time invested.

Tracy Anderson is another one that lets me "zone out" but still work hard. Even her beginner dance cardio workouts are easy enough to follow

I mentioned in another thread that I had done Lauren Brooks' Shut Up and Train for a couple of weeks for yet again the same reason. The moves are basic, very uncomplicated, but I feel worked out. I want to get back to my Kettlebell Kickboxing workouts, but I don't know if my brain is ready yet, lol!
Old 03-01-21, 07:20 AM  
fanofladyvols

I agree. Doing something that allows you to lock in and zone out everything else is definitely soothing right now.

The order and simplicity of doing three rounds of the same three exercises and then doing three rounds of another three or four exercises is all the rage in my house, lol.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-21, 08:23 AM  
upperwside

I totally get ya. I Hamelin cardio tone for this exact reason. Totally mindless. I got burned out on him and was getting flabby.. But still love his cardio tone with light hand weights.
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-21, 11:59 AM  
kat999

I did the FIRM's Better Body and Buns yesterday and I totally feel this. It's got some cardio and four-limb, but it's mostly heavy lower body and tall box climb, and it's very repetitive and soothing and only 45 minutes long. It was perfect.

I don't mind learning new choreo and sometimes I do get bored by workouts without much of it, but in this stressful age, I find myself more often than not reaching for workouts that allow me to just zone out, focus on form, or enjoy the music (or if I'm jogging, I'll focus on the scenery and may listen to a podcast or something). I like to get into a real sense of "flow" with my workouts where I go into a meditative state and the time winds up zipping by.
Old 03-01-21, 01:09 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hmmmm, maybe you are on to something..... in the last six months, maybe?, I have really enjoyed the repetitive nature of Ilaria's bodystrike and powerstrike workouts. Years ago I wasn't that fond of them, but these days I find myself crazing them once a week.
Old 03-02-21, 11:14 AM  
horusosiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperwside View Post
I totally get ya. I Hamelin cardio tone for this exact reason. Totally mindless. I got burned out on him and was getting flabby.. But still love his cardio tone with light hand weights.
This is exactly how I use Hamelin's Cardio Tone G workout -mindless fun!
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-21, 12:13 PM  
kat999

This is also why I enjoy Jari Love and Caroline Girvan's weight workouts (I haven't tried her HIIT), plus Leslie and Jessica. Most things are EXTREMELY simple.

I'm about to do a HIIT workout that I sort of dread.
Old 03-02-21, 12:28 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by horusosiris View Post
This is exactly how I use Hamelin's Cardio Tone G workout -mindless fun!
Oh horusosiris..... I had forgotten about that workout! I'm going to have to see if I can find it and do for a Throwback Thursday sometime!!!

Tags
4 limb workouts, mindless workouts