Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-10-05, 08:58 AM  
SurferGirl

Has anyone gained weight from intense cardio?

For awhile I was doing Leslie Sansone's walking videos and very basic cardio. (with light toning and pilates)

About 2-3 weeks ago I started doing Tae Bo and other forms of kickboxing only almost everyday.
Well, in the last few weeks I've gained about 6 pounds. I'm only 4'11" so this is killing me. I only had 10 pounds or so to goal and now I'm even further away.

Of course, I'm thinking of the whole-maybe it's muscle weight. But, my clothes are tighter and my bras are killing me I actually look heavier.

My diet really has not changed. I mean, I'm not eating any more or less. Just the usual.

Maybe this type of exercise isn't good for my body-type (endomorph)? Is that possible? I had a physical in October and nothing can back abnormal (thyroid, etc.).

I'm so confused right now.

Any advice?
SurferGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-05, 10:02 AM  
gettinripped

Yes I did

I gained weight when I first started doing tae bo, but that was muscle gain. Unlike you my clothing started to get looser, and I look smaller. Maybe it will change after a while for you.
gettinripped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-05, 10:32 AM  
treasaigh

Perhaps you're overtraining? I would try alternating intense cardio with your more moderate workouts, or inserting strength only days.

How are you feeling? Have you noticed any increased fatigue, appetite, anything like that?
Old 06-10-05, 10:46 AM  
SurferGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasaigh
Perhaps you're overtraining? I would try alternating intense cardio with your more moderate workouts, or inserting strength only days.

How are you feeling? Have you noticed any increased fatigue, appetite, anything like that?

I'm always tired.Usually, by 3pm (when I take my break at work) I need to take a nap. But, this is 'normal' for me. I haven't felt hungier than usual. I definitely feel "swollen" lately. (and I'm not PMSing)

I am going to tone it down a bit to see what happens.
Old 06-10-05, 10:58 AM  
melzie

I hate to say it, but when I only did cardio I did not loose anything. I had to add in some weight days. Then I started seeing lose in size, slendering down. Now I have to get back to adding in some cardio, I got lazy......
melzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-05, 10:59 AM  
jeanniem
VF Supporter

Killer cardio only made me miserable and fat. For me lower intensity made a huge difference and I lost the weight I just couldn't when I was killing myself...
jeanniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-05, 11:31 AM  
alikruegs
VF Supporter

yeah...

When it comes to cardio, I have three options:
1. light aerobics and running - which fits my slimming goals
2. intense aerobics and other cardio - which makes my muscles puff-up
3. very intense running - which slims me down

With options 1 and 3, I am definitely slimmer (i.e. less muscular bulk). I don't like option 2, and since option 3 is really draining, I've decided to stick to option 1. I've always been pleased with my body when living abroad - which is when I did more walking and a less intense workout regime. I'm trying to stick to that sense of moderation now. What I've realized, unfortunately, is that I can't substitute intensity for time and still get the same results. I do better from a gentle, longish run than a kickboxing or sprinting workout.
alikruegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-05, 11:58 AM  
SurferGirl

So, all the kickboxing videos I just bought are gonna collect dust now.

Though, it does makes sense to me. I was trimming down nicely when I was doing Leslie and pilates. I just figured I'd lose my extra poundage by kicking it up a notch. It seems my body likes lower intensity workouts, I guess.

Though, I suppose I can use my Island Girl workouts as cardio now
Old 06-10-05, 12:09 PM  
boakley
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferGirl
So, all the kickboxing videos I just bought are gonna collect dust now.

Though, it does makes sense to me. I was trimming down nicely when I was doing Leslie and pilates. I just figured I'd lose my extra poundage by kicking it up a notch. It seems my body likes lower intensity workouts, I guess.

Though, I suppose I can use my Island Girl workouts as cardio now
Why not try kickboxing once a week if you like it. It doesn't have to be all or nothing does it?

Beth

Tom Petty
boakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-05, 01:08 PM  
adrien_73

I mentioned this in another thread, but I've been doing more intense cardio since the year began. I also added in some more strength training, but I don't lift heavy...only 3-5 lbs. or a 12 lb. body bar. So...since the beginning of the year, I've GAINED 10 LBS!!! My appetite is out of control, but I only crave sweets. No desire to eat healthy foods. (OK, I'll end the d**t talk there!) I feel tired most of the time (but I am slightly anemic, so it might not be the exercise...)

OK, some of the weight COULD be muscle, but I don't think ALL of it is. Besides, I haven't lost any more of my body fat, so I don't look more muscular. Just bigger. I guess I have to cut back on the cardio, but it's like a mental addiction for me now. I don't feel like I'm working hard if I don't sweat heavily for an hour! But, the scale doesn't lie. It's not working for me either.
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote