Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-04, 10:52 AM  
mmis29

Frustrated!

I've been exercising regularly for about a year, and am fitting into size 2-4 jeans (I'm only 5'2). I'm really happy with all my progress, but my stomach just won't budge. My belly is BIG and flabby and I just don't know what to do about it. I know there's no such thing as spot reducing, but why would the rest of my body respond to a healthy diet and regular intense (Cathe usually) exercise and not my stomach?? I just don't get it. Has anyone else had this problem? Did you ever overcome it? If so, how???? It's just depressing.
mmis29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-04, 11:04 AM  
Katie W
VF Supporter

Yes, I have this same problem, and I think its just genetic, where fat will stay in your body. My mom was very slim, but had a little tummy, and my sister and I are the same.

I've been doing abs workouts 3-4 times a week, and that helps with the firming of the muscles *under* the fat. Also, check your posture. I'm also working on learning to like my body the way it is...healthy, strong, flexible and appreciating how much better I feel in doing my daily activities.
Katie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-04, 11:53 AM  
Ivy Ann
VF Supporter

I'm convinced

The only way to really "TV' or "Movie Star" flat abs is surgery. I don't believe for a minute Madonna, or any other celebrity, after 2 kids, naturally looks the way they do.

It's a bummer and can be a motivational drain for me, but I work hard to ignore it.

I also read somewhere that diet (carbs) is more of a determining factor to bellies than the number of sit-ups performed. Who knows.

I do think the way we are is the way we're supposed to be.

I concentrate on my strong muscular arms rather than my droopy belly!
Ivy Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-04, 06:14 PM  
Cathi
VF Supporter

PM me and I'll share something I'm trying--it's about food so I don't think I can talk about it on the forum. It's research-based info.

Cathi
Old 11-21-04, 06:22 PM  
nora
VF Supporter

Gee, before I opened this thread, I started another on this very subject. My problem is related to menopause I think, though. Anyway Cathi, if you think your info could be pertinent to my case, I'd really like to hear what you have to say. PM or e-mail. Thanks.
Old 11-21-04, 07:40 PM  
mmis29

Yes, Cathi any info you could give me is very helpful I PM'd you.
mmis29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-04, 12:25 PM  
mochamajesty

Cathi,

I PM'd you; I would love some info.
"This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever. in its place is something that you have left behind...LET IT BE SOMETHING GOOD."

-Oxygen Magazine, Feb 2003, author unknown.
mochamajesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-04, 12:51 PM  
Swissmom

My sister is 45 with a flat stomach and guns like Madonna. She is 5'3". She has 2 sons in their 20's. She got that flat stomach by lowering her bodyfat through clean eating and eating alot less and working out at the gym. She has never had surgery.
Swissmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-04, 01:14 PM  
Barb L
VF Supporter

Just my two cents

There's a genetic component to this belly fat thing--and sometimes it's age-related as well. Peri- and post-menopausal women tend to put on some tummy fat they never had before.

However, keep in mind that it isn't surface pooch but visceral fat (accumulates around the internal organs) that is most harmful to your health (as in coronary effects.)

My genetic "gift" is thigh and buttocks fat. Nothing makes it go away. I just figure I'd be a good person to get stuck on a desert island with. I'd last a long time on my own reserves

Good nutrition and regular exercise are healthy habits, no matter what the tendency of your body shape.
Old 11-23-04, 01:29 PM  
cmhazlett

Have you tried Pilates and Lotte Berk/Bar Method/Callanetics-style ab work? Try mixing up your exercise routine to see if you get positive results from it.

Good luck!

Claire
cmhazlett is offline   Reply With Quote