Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-04, 09:15 PM  
DonnaMarie

Husband Giving Me Unwanted Advice; help

My husband is disputing my workout schedule. He has suggested I should be doing nothing but aerobics for weight loss. He is a 30 year gym rat and in really good shape. I tried to explain some of the excellent information I have received here over the last 5 or 6 years stating that aerobic workouts are great for the "right here and now" calorie burning, but that weighted workouts burn calories for more effieciently and for longer periods of time.

If I am wrong, please set me straight. If he is wrong, please back me up. Either way, thank you for your input.
Old 11-03-04, 09:19 PM  
Mindi
VF Supporter

IMO, he's wrong. You need a balance of cardio and weights to lose fat. What the balance is, is personal and you'll have to determine that through trial and error, perhaps you could start w/3 days cardio and 3 days of weights, working a split in that time frame to get all body parts worked and one day of rest.

Or if you need 2 days rest, get your weights done in a 2-day split.

As for hubby, do as I do when the man gets a little mouthy and overbearing..set a can of blackeyed peas on the counter and remind him that your fav song is "Goodbye Earl," by the Dixie Chicks.
Old 11-03-04, 09:28 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Oh, men!!!

My DH likes to tell me to just go run around the school yard (we live across the street from an elementary school). He just doesn't get the appeal of my videos at all. But he has learned they make me happy and relieve my stress, so I guess he's also learned to live with my addiction

DonnaMarie, you're right. Aerobics won't do it alone. And I'll bet he's done more than aerobics to get in his great shape. What he may not understand is that women have to work hard to build any muscle (and I'm not referring to the bulking stuff...just nice toned, strong muscles) since we don't have the testerone men are blessed with.

Problem with talking to a husband is, they will listen to everyone else in the world, but not to their own wives Best of luck trying to educate your man as to women's fitness needs!

Last edited by lfcjasp; 11-03-04 at 09:29 PM. Reason: clarification
lfcjasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-04, 09:29 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Donnamarie - I was very nosy and looked up your birthday. All of us gals over 40 need to be extremely concerned about osteoporosis. Cardio helps, but most experts recommend strength training and yoga for prevention of bone loss.

That is something that ought to get your husband's attention!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-04, 09:30 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfcjasp
Problem with talking to a husband is, they will listen to everyone else in the world, but not to their own wives
LOL! Maybe they figure you aren't too bright if you married them!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-04, 09:34 PM  
pipsqueak3211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindi
As for hubby, do as I do when the man gets a little mouthy and overbearing..set a can of blackeyed peas on the counter and remind him that your fav song is "Goodbye Earl," by the Dixie Chicks.
Hope you don't mind if I steal your idea for my man. Wonder if it would work on my cat? She needs an attitude adjustment. Elisabeth
pipsqueak3211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-04, 09:44 PM  
DonnaMarie

Thank you Alta...

You are the best. I have two more sites to post this question - Cathe's of course and a personal site where I am in touch with a personal trainer from Australia!!!
Old 11-03-04, 09:52 PM  
Liz N
VF Supporter

hello Donna

I reckon you've received great advice from the girls here. I hope it's further cemented how hopeless men (especially if they are married to great gals) can be My hubs can be the same - doesn't seem to matter that I have a degree in this area.

PS - which Aussie PT site are you looking at

"I believe your most attractive features are your heart and soul" Savage Garden

Looking for some fitness inspiration? Visit my blog - see profile
Liz N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-04, 09:53 PM  
winnie_p
VF Supporter

I don't have any wonderful advice, but I did read an article in a magazine I subscribe to (I've lost track of which one, but i'll try to find it) regarding the best way to increase your metabolism. They compared diet, aerobics, and aerobics plus weight training. The winner was aerobics plus weight training--that woman increased her metabolism by 60% (!!).
winnie_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-04, 10:18 PM  
mtnmom

I've read that muscle burns more calories than fat. So the more muscle mass you have, the more efficient your metabolism. Also, once the fat is gone, doesn't hubby want to see a more toned you?

Diane
mtnmom is offline   Reply With Quote