Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-04, 03:24 PM  
fr0zen

Ladies, what is your favorite workout for that time of the month?

I have always had nasty cramps. I got an IUD and it really reduced them, but for some reason the past two months have been pretty rough the first day or two. I did my regular workout this morning (Cathe's SJP), but now that the late afternoon has hit the cramps have too.

I was thinking of trying some yoga or tai chi this evening or maybe Karen Voight's Pure and Simple Stretch.

What workouts have you found thatmake you feel better?
fr0zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-04, 03:47 PM  
ladmin

Having had a similar experience just last week...

My favorite for TTOTM is Shiva Rea Yoga Sanctuary. Her voice is so soothing and nurturing it helps tremendously. I also like Karen Voight's pm workout (kind of an abs/yoga mix) from Streamline fitness. Believe it or not, Callanetics is great too.u a

I find it necessary to be much gentler with myself and not push myself so hard.

Good luck!

Kay
ladmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-04, 03:48 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

I don't change my workouts during that time. However, I remember reading something in a magazine a long time ago stating that if you do ab work when you have cramps, it will actually lesson the pain of your cramps. So you might want to try that.

I do have lazy days where I don't want to work out. When I have those kinds of days, then I would reach for something that is dancey and fun. Something like the Beach Body Yoga Booty Ballet Advanced.

Helen
Helen S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-04, 03:55 PM  
Thenu

I actually walk and do less intense workouts for that time of month. One of my yoga teachers in India advised me not to do yoga TTOM.. I couldnt figure out why so just ignored that advise and tried yoga ..but had severe cramps ..so I stopped doing yoga TTOM...
Thenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-04, 04:35 PM  
antbuko

When I have severe cramps, I have to lie down until they pass. Luckily I don't have these too often. The cramps I get more frequently are more bearable and when I have these I don't change my routine. Of course, any time during the month, if I'm feeling worn down I'll either take a rest day or do a shorter and less intense cardio workout.

I don't mean to be a pill pusher, but my niece has been having severe cramps for the past few months. They were so bad, they made her ill. She took a prescription pain reliever this month and she said she felt better within ten minutes. Something to consider if things get really tough. Why suffer?
Old 10-05-04, 04:47 PM  
Joe

During that time of the month it's almost impossible for me to exercise so I go for a walk during my lunch breaks. My gf goes into "nurture me" mode. I should just hand her a bell so that she can ring it whenever she needs something. That way she won't have to shout down the hall.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-04, 05:48 PM  
HOTCHICK

Hi Frozen,

My favorite workouts for the time of the month, are usually anything that is easier than Cathe .
I tend to do,

Kari anderson danceworks
Karen voight streamline fitness/strong moves dvd
Half & Half
Silk Manning aeropump/kick dvd
Jenifer kries dance to fitness
Billy blanks live series basic kickboxing
brazillian dance workout
crunch cardio salsa

I favor any short easier workouts, anything that I can mix and match from one dvd, lots of pilates, dance and short easy kickbox workouts. I dont have the attention span or energy for Cathe, Mindy or anything really high intensity or impact.
The workouts above are my favorites for Totm,I am also partial to a bit of ballet too (NYCB or Ballet bootcamp).
I also find that exercising regularly, but lightly through totm helps my cramps.

Hotchick
HOTCHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-04, 05:54 PM  
isa

The first two days I do gentle yoga practices:
Karen Voight- Yoga Stretch, Rainbeau Mars- Pure Tranquility, Yoga Zone- Conditioning and Stress Release or Flexibility and Stress Release, Shiva Rea- one of her lunar yoga practices.

Or Bar Method/ Crunch Pilates.

I also like Kimberly Spreenīs Go With The Flow workout or light cardio.
isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-04, 06:17 PM  
rhbrand

DOes sitting on the couch eating chocolate count?

Actually, I like to do things that are active without it being a real workout. Like DDR, or talking a long walk. Or playing frizbee outside with my kids. Something like that.
I usuallly don't have the energy for a real workout, but I can do those things for that one day.
Old 10-05-04, 06:29 PM  
Debbie M

Lmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
During that time of the month it's almost impossible for me to exercise so I go for a walk during my lunch breaks. My gf goes into "nurture me" mode. I should just hand her a bell so that she can ring it whenever she needs something. That way she won't have to shout down the hall.
Do you have a brother? LOL

I can arrange to have the bell option already included!

My TTOTM workout for cramps:

1) Warm up my Origins Ginger Wrap in the microwave.......place on lower abdomen.

2) Curl up with said warm ginger wrap, a good book (fitness of course!) and a box of Godiva truffles.

Deb
Debbie M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ttotm