Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-02-22, 06:54 AM  
cyana

Happy New Year! Here's hoping for better times in 2022, with abundant happiness and good health.

My burning ceremony went smoothly on New Year's Eve. I wrote down a list of things I wanted to let go of and a second list of things I wish to embrace going forward and cut them into slips. I put 2 small candles in my metal ash bucket and went out on my (covered) front porch, where it was unseasonably warm and raining lightly. It felt good to do the practice and I may start a new tradition.

No farmer's market yesterday, but my lettuce guy did a pre-order, so I met him to pick up my stuff and chat. He gave me a bunch of lovely collards, so I cooked those yesterday along with the black-eyed peas and chicken. DH won't eat collards, so he had a salad with his meal since I told him he had to eat something green.

Yesterday's work-out was a walk with DH (yes, you read that correctly, and it was his idea to get out and enjoy the mild weather while it lasts ). Unfortunately my hip was not pleased.

Did anyone else see the recommendation for Lift with Cee (YT) in GD this week? I previewed one of her videos, and she lifts at a controlled pace and there's no talking. She gives brief instructions in voice-over and combines that with some hand signals. I'm planning to give her a try soon. And not to forget - she was lifting barefoot.

Carolyn - It's so good to see you! I felt like the Grinch after his heart grew three sizes when I read about your new kitties.

Sandra - Remember me mentioning the house in my neighborhood where the owners put little "treasures" out on the rocks next to the sidewalk? They had 4 PEZ dispensers included in the treasures yesterday when we walked by and I thought of your gift.

Pam - I need to get back to "recreational reading" in 2022. I consume medical literature in vast quantities and it would be nice to balance that out. Continue to enjoy your get-away! Great quote, by the way.

Pat - Wow, you must've needed some rest - that was a nice long night's sleep! At this point, I'd think I won the lottery if I could get 7 hours worth.

Margot - I chuckled at your reference to thinking you'd be so old in 2000. And it brought back memories of some local people who went a bit overboard in their Y2K preparations - stashing enough food for a small village and such.

Beth - Your yoga class sounded lovely. I haven't been to a class with live guitar since I went to a YJ conference years back. Nice quote.

Paine - Did you find anything new and interesting at the market this week? I'm hoping to do some food prep today - including a pot of soup.

Must run - waves to ALL!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-22, 10:18 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

cyana, I missed the Lift with Cee recommendation; just added one of her workouts to my Watch List. Glad your burning ceremony went well! My DH & I went for a walk on NYE when it was in the 50s here; now we have snow and mid-20s. :/

Sandra, I've gotten interrupted for workouts like that too; it sounds like you at least got a good taste of Jessica for the day.

Pat, 50 books is great! I'm still not sure how I managed 65 this past year - I set a goal of 60 for next year b/c I'm not sure I can keep up the pace. Good news is that I'm almost finished 2 in-progress books, so those will be my first of the year!

Margot, it does seem like everyone who attended the live class was in Zen mode, including me! It was good to do a bit of flow, which I don't often do on my own. LOL about thinking how old you would be! Now I try to imagine how old I will be in 2040...

Carolyn, good to see you; how sweet about the new kittens! I hope that they help make 2022 less stressful for you.

Pam, which channel was the Moon Salutation Flow from? I'm always interested to see moon salutations since everyone teaches them a bit differently.

Paine, with all of your meal prepping, hope you get to enjoy food and family this coming week.

Trying to decide what I want to do for exercise today. I am doing the New Year's yoga sadhana, so I'll do some yoga and not sure what else yet.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-22, 10:38 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning, happy Second Day of 2022. 01-02-2022, hmm. Yesterday featured:

~ Annual New Year's Day beach meditation/walk
~ LWR Advent Calendar Day 16, 2,000 steps Walk At Home
~ YWK Yin Yoga for Serenity
~ 6,898 steps

Beth, I might lower my goal this year. It was hard to reach 50 - a couple of those books were very long. Your yoga class with live guitar sounds like one to remember.

Cyana, I'm glad your burn ceremony went well and safely. I love that you have a "lettuce guy" and that you got some nice collards from him. How do you cook your collards? I tried the IP a few times but they came out bitter. I did not see the discussion about Cee, thanks for the tip.

Happy New Year Carolyn, thanks for popping in! I'm so happy for your kitten adoption and the happy cat energy in your home.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-22, 11:48 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

All I could make myself do was some Yin Yoga on my own.

Carolyn, it's nice to hear from you. Your two kittens sound adorable. I can hear how much you love them.

Cyana, I didn't find anything new at the markets I went to. The Sumo mandarin season will be starting this month.

Pat and Cyana, my mother always steamed her collards. Towards the last 10 minutes of cooking, she would add sliced green cabbage. I loved her combo of collards and green cabbage!

Beth, I always enjoy food and family! I just don't like to cook or do food prep. I've always cooked for my family but it's not something I enjoy.

Pat and Beth, I have no idea how many books I read in 2021. I think I will try to keep track of how many I read this year.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-22, 02:43 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Pat, I think I definitely had some shorter books in there.

Paine, the reason I started using Goodreads more regularly was to keep better track of my books. I actually originally started reviewing on Amazon for that reason as well, but because I've reviewed so much other stuff too, keeping track of my books is harder there.

I did two nice YouTube yoga practices today.

Kate Vantucci's Hips & Shoulders:
https://youtu.be/xe2KI0ljdlU

Yoga with Tim's Morning Yoga Workout (Challenge Day 2):
https://youtu.be/NpzIUH2HjQs

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 01-02-22, 02:47 PM  
Twigs

Hello all!

Today I thought I'd dig out some of my DVDs:
- Kari Anderson Center Floor, Strengthen, Length & Flow - very much ballet-inspired.
- Mimi Solaire Deep Stretch for Hips & Legs. This felt good after all the leg work in Kari's workout.
- David Dorian-Ross Energy Chi. Surprisingly strengthening. I don't think I've ever done this one before.

Carolyn - It's always heart-warming to hear of a happy ending for rescue animals. Your new kitties sound so cute and full of character. It's also great that they get on so well together. It's actually making me broody to get another cat.

Cyana - I'm glad your fire ceremony went well. Sorry to hear though that your hip wasn't best pleased after your walk. Hope it's feeling better today. I'd like to do more recreational reading this year too. I'm spending so much time on two courses I'm doing at the moment, that it's taking up an awful lot of my free time.

Paine - I love to cook and bake but don't enjoy food prep that much. Luckily, DH is happy to help with the prep and clear up afterwards.

Beth - That's funny. I had Kate's class for Hips & Shoulders bookmarked to do tomorrow. I thought it looked good.

Waves Pat, Pam and Sandra anyone popping in today.

"Practice makes progress" ~ Sandra Hanna
Twigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-22, 07:46 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Hello mat mavens!

We left the ski hill in the midst of a blizzard this morning so it was a slow drive down. DH went out to load the truck & it was literally buried in snow, lol. By the time we got down to the main highway the snow had turned to rain and it’s melting quickly at home. A great time was had by all!

Today was a rest day of sorts…
~40 Minute Lunar Flow (YT) - This was very nice too, a few down dogs but no chats. Here’s a link: https://youtu.be/ZjerNgQKBx8

Cyana - Your burning ceremony sounds cathartic & cleansing.

Beth - Here’s a link to the short lunar practice I did yesterday, it was 12 min & wrist free. https://youtu.be/Isg1Lezvjxw

Beth & Pat - I set my reading goal at 100 books & finished with 108. Between being retired and being cooped up, it wasn’t hard, lol. About 1/3 we’re audiobooks that I listened to while puttering, doing chores, or using my exercise equipment. I really lost my reading mojo in Dec though & hope to get it back now that the rush is over. We had so much going on with family here over Christmas followed by the ski trip. I haven’t set a goal for 2022, maybe 75.

Waves to Pat, Paine, Carolyn, Margot, Sandra, & anyone else who stops by!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-22, 08:45 PM  
JustSandra

Hi!

Today's Workout: Lying Poses For Flexibility from Jane Adams Yoga For Beginners. Between Jessica's YouTube workout yesterday plus all my long walks I *really* needed this routine!

Yogapam: I'm glad your snow visit was so much fun!

Paine: I mandarins!

Beth: Our library decided to do a time capsule last month, documenting our operations during Covid. It will be opened in 25 years, or 2046. I'll be 91 years old, assuming I am still alive. Even if I am alive, I wonder if I'll even care about that time capsule LOL!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-22, 10:27 PM  
Diana3271

Hi Everyone, I know Linda posts here. I received a message from her saying that she has been transported to the hospital. Hopefully they can get things figured out. She said I can share this info.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-22, 10:40 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Diana, thanks for letting us know; I think last we heard, she had been diagnosed with a kidney infection, but she had started on antibiotics and was finally starting to feel better. I'm sorry to hear that changed!

Follow me @YogiBethC