Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-21, 01:19 PM  
Vantreesta

Eating on the road

I hope this doesn't cross the boundaries of no diet talk. If so, I apologize. I'm not asking for diet tips or advice exactly. What I'm looking for is ideas of more healthy options to eat while traveling that are easy.

When we drive the 5 hours each way to see my father-in-law once a month, I end up eating pizza, chips, candy etc from gas stations. When I drive to AZ to see my dad I eat all kinds of less than ideal snacks to keep myself alert (plus the hunger, of course). When we take our hiking/snowshoeing trips we end up eating fast food or gas station food in the car while driving. (We go to restaurants for supper so at least there may be some healthier options for those meals.)

I need to make better choices for my body. I figure even if I do this for half of the times on the road that is an improvement.

Again, I'm sorry if this is too close to diet talk. Thanks for any ideas!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-21, 01:23 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

When I take long car trips, I prepare sandwiches, and healthy snacks to take in the car. They can be kept in a cooler. We can’t discuss specifics about food here, so I suggest you bring whatever you think would sustain you in a healthy way.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-21, 01:26 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
When I take long car trips, I prepare sandwiches, and healthy snacks to take in the car. They can be kept in a cooler. We can’t discuss specifics about food here, so I suggest you bring whatever you think would sustain you in a healthy way.
Same here.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-21, 01:31 PM  
Izzy

I don't travel much but when I do, I do my best to avoid buying any food on the road because it is so expensive. We/I usually pack a cooler with fruit (apples mostly), water, granola bars, sandwiches, cheese/crackers etc. Or I will make chicken or something similar that packs well in a cooler and taste good cold. I pull over in rest areas and have myself a picnic. I even fill thermos with coffee from home so I am not buying gas station coffee mostly because I am a coffee snob and do not like gas station coffee. If I have to stop for a meal I usually order a salad.
Old 12-29-21, 02:52 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Yep, pretty much the same..... when I was away from home with my son's for hockey tournaments, I always packed a big salad with some sort of protein in it. Usually that was all I needed to eat, if I remember correctly -- well, then a somewhat healthy dinner out. My family would buy whatever "crap" food they could find, and I would be very happy with my delicious salad. Good luck!
Old 12-29-21, 03:27 PM  
bubbles76

This is exactly what we do. I always pack bottled water and my own tea for the trip too. At night we will usually eat dinner at the hotel or surrounding area, and it is mostly grilled chicken or a big salad. Now don't get me wrong, once I hit my mom's house (especially if it's over Thanksgiving or Christmas) I will get a meal or three of southern comfort but I try to keep it healthy most of the trip
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-21, 04:35 PM  
DCW

We have two small coolers that I pack. I even bring a plate and regular utensils and a sharp knife. DH has a sweet tooth so his favorite cookies are included. I use carryout containers so if they get tossed no big deal. Most of the hotels have a microwave and a frig that we use. I travel with my yoga mat and a small throw. After a day of travel, it's nice.

Once we were at an out of town wedding, we pulled out the microwave popcorn and the kids and cousins were happy to have a movie night.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-21, 04:57 PM  
alisoncooks

Sometimes we pack snacks, but we do stop for food when we travel. (There’s not always room for a cooler!)

I’ve been surprised at how healthy one can eat from 7-eleven. Because of weird foods issues at my in-laws, we often stop to eat there after big holidays (not much else open Christmas Eve or thanksgiving). But fruit cups and cheese sticks were a hit this year. I also chose OJ and jerky. (I ate chips and candy too, lol, but there were some healthy options in there!)
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-21, 05:00 PM  
Demeris

I take nuts, cheese, and fruit. If I'm feeling ambitious before I leave, I'll make some whole grain bread rolls to take, too. I find that when I'm traveling, hydration is even more important than eating right.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-21, 06:11 PM  
Vantreesta

Thanks for everyone's replies. I always have water with me, and when I go to AZ I actually fill enough bottles to last me a full day bc I hate buying water. I refill them all at the hotel before I leave the next morning. So on that long trip I am drinking 80 oz of water a day (my minimum daily goal) plus usually juice and yes, often a bottle of pop, plus more water once I'm off the road.

This last trip out there I tried cutting up deli turkey and cheese to eat on crackers, but I realized as I was cutting it all up I wouldn't be able to eat it while I was driving. It did make a nice meal at the hotel that night though, since I was too tired to find anywhere for supper.

I do take granola bars, had forgotten about that. Jerky and nuts could work, and string cheese. I wish there was a way to keep apples fresh after cutting them. Bc of a filling btwn my two front teeth that has fallen out multiple times my dentist told me to never bite off apples or raw carrots, stuff like that. I never thought of microwave popcorn for hotel snacks. Much better choice than a late-night vending machine visit!

We don't stop to eat when we're on the road. It's grab smthg and back in the car to keep driving. I would love to find smthg portable that actually feels like a meal and fills me up, and that I can eat while I'm driving. That's one reason I get pizza at gas stations. It checks all those boxes.

I really appreciate everyone's ideas. I have some time before I'll travel again so I'll hopefully have smthg figured out before then!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
snacks