Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-21, 08:33 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Pam, Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you are enjoying the time with your family.

Margot, glad you liked those links! That foam roller class might have been my favorite ever. I didn't try the clamshell, but I watched some it to hear Kristina's tips. Enjoy your vacation (hope the toe doesn't impede)!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-21, 10:59 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning! Here's what I was up to yesterday:

~ YWK Morning Yin Yoga Stretch - No Props, plus affirmations
~ 25 minute lunch walk
~ Get Fit With Rick, 1,500 Steps / 10 Minute Workout Low Impact
~ Unplugged 1901
~ 7,475 steps

The Get Fit With Rick was good for just plain getting my step count up. Ten minutes, super basic mindless bopping around with a pretty view, just what I needed. I learned from reading the comments that the beautiful, clear city skyline with the body of water in front is Dubai. On my lunch walk I went to a large parking lot to do laps. On the forested side of the lot I came upon a pond with turtles in it.

Pam - Happy Thanksgiving!!!

I have to get off my butt - everyone have a great Saturday.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-21, 07:00 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Hi everyone! Hope you are all having a good weekend.

Today was Day 2 of my Yoga for Healthy Aging training. I am really enjoying it so far. We are pretty closely following the book, and at first I thought that maybe most of the material would be review for me, but I'm definitely learning new things. Also, I have really enjoyed the practices! Yesterday we had short (about 45 minutes) sessions both in the morning and the afternoon. Today, we had 2 30-minute focused sessions in the morning (one on strength, one on flexibility) and then about an hour practice in the afternoon. The instructors are Baxter Bell and Melina Meza, who are a couple. They each have their own styles/approaches, and I'm enjoying them both.

Hope everyone has had a good Saturday!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 10-09-21, 09:35 PM  
JustSandra

Hi!

No workout yesterday as it is my scheduled "off" day, but I walked outside for about an hour.

Today's Workout: Add On Abs and Total Stretch, both from Jessica Smith's Walk Strong 3.

Yogapam: Happy Thanksgiving!

Beth: I like hearing about the Yoga For Healthy Aging training -- glad you are finding it interesting.

Waving to all!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-21, 09:49 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Today was a functional fitness day doing food prep for the week and house work.

Pam, hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family.

Beth, I'm glad you are enjoying your YfHA training! The more you learn, the more your yoga students will benefit.
Our Forrester is 6 years old and we don't drive it much since my DH is now retired. We only have 17,500 miles on it and with our current rate of driving it, in 25 years from now it would only have 85,000 miles on it. So it could very well last us the rest of our life.

Margot, have fun on your vacation!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-21, 12:29 PM  
cyana

Today:
Nordic Track x 15 minutes while wearing BFR bands on arms (and listening to Leonid and Friends on YT, for motivation, of course )
YT - Yoga with Kassandra - 10 minute yoga for hips and lower back. Posted 4.19.2020. This was 12" and a very nice short practice.
YoQi (DVD) - Six Healing Sounds - full practice - Marisa Cranfill
Lee Holden - Qi Gong for Better Balance (DVD) - long version

I'm happy to note my DVD from Marisa played fine today - it was slightly jumpy the first time I used it. This was the first time I've done Lee's Better Balance practice. I must admit, this worked the legs more than I would've expected, but that was fine. I enjoyed it and the waterfront location was lovely.

In case anyone is looking for any ideas for a 15-20 minute thrown together work-out using the stability ball, here's the one I did earlier in the week: 50 crunches, 10 crunches with a hold at the top of the movement, seated yoga-inspired twists - 10 to each side (coordinated with slow breath cycles), seated hip circles - 10 each direction, Cobra with ball under torso, arms fully extended to support the front body and toes touching the ground in back. I did a gradual slide until the ball ended up at the lower pelvis, which was a nice back release. Forward fold while seated on ball - held for 20 breath cycles. Leg lifts with forearms on floor (like you'd have them for sphinx pose) and pelvis on ball x 20 with a hold at the top of each rep. Off ball - mountain to COBRA x 5 slow reps. That started getting a bit wristy, or I would've knocked out more. This was one of those "do something - anything" days.

Some time back we were discussing veggie burger recipes, I found this one on Megan's site and may give it a spin: https://detoxinista.com/veggie-burgers/

Beth - I'm glad you're enjoying your yoga training this week-end. It's been several years since I've done a workshop, so please feel free to share away.

Margot - Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'll have to see if DH will eat the dates and may have to make that - it sounds delicious! Hope you have a great holiday. We have two older Japanese cars (Nissan and a Honda), but drive very little and the Nissan has under 100K miles, so we'd be happy if we never had to purchase another vehicle. If we do, it would probably be a hybrid or electric.

Pat - Your trip to the bird sanctuary/rehab sounded wonderful since they do such good work to help the birds (although sad that humans cause most of these injuries). DS has vultures in his back yard during certain times of the year. I think he finds them quite interesting. He's still trying to get the crows to eat peanuts from his hand. If I'd recognized Mick at the bar, I would've at least had to smile and wink. LOL on the Sticky Fingers story - I'd forgotten about the zipper album cover. I'd wondered where Rick (Get Fit With Rick) was located - didn't realize it was Dubai. I saved that short one - that would be a good mid-day quickie fitness break to get the blood flowing.

Carolyn - You are famous with me for having seen Leonid and Friends in person! I would've loved to see them, but sitting in an indoor venue is probably not the greatest idea right now. KCM's Lauren is one of my all-time favorite modifiers and I missed her in the later videos.

Pam - Happy Thanksgiving - hope you enjoy lots of good food and good company this week-end. I'm another fan of the Doobie Brothers and have seen them several times in concert - all many years ago. The Hindley Street Country Club recent did covers of several of their songs: Listen to the Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWUgaYGfKIE and China Grove: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVSN6jjbCoc . Also, didn't know if you'd seen any of these Playing for Change videos - I think it's pretty amazing how they bring together musicians from all over the world: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4sK8d48Exs . They've also done Live In Isolation videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etGV7D3hYoY . I swear I think John McFee could string a kleenex box and make it sound great - he can play anything with strings! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZLY2ht9iBM And here's an interview from last week-end: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HakLD0kY4i8 This is about 25 minutes - an off air performance posted by Jimmy Kimmel Live - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLwwn80f_l8 Yes, I love the Doobie Brothers!

Sandra - How nice that you were gifted some groceries by your neighbor. Which air fryer do you have? I can't remember if you've said previously. I think seeing the young Pointer Sisters in a bar would've been great fun. Leonid and Friends are playing The Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco in November - I'll bet that's a great venue.

Paine - We'd definitely be driving your Forester forever no more than we drive. You'll have to let us know if you also try the Green Goddess seasoning - that sounds . Is your grandson any happier about going to school these days? I spent a lot of time with my maternal grandmother in my early years and she was great company.

Speaking of music and legends, here's a link to the 60 Minutes and Tony Bennett: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HakLD0kY4i8 It was wonderful how he lit up when he walked out on stage.

OK, that was quite the history of the world, LOL! Need to get some things ticked off the to do list before my week-end is history. Waves to ALL!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-21, 12:44 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Paine, I should have also mentioned that DH has a 2004 Subaru Impreza sedan - it's a year older than my Forester was, but he drives it so little that I think he only has 35k miles on it! Every time he takes it in to Subaru (he just did the annual inspection this past week), they comment on how remarkable it is.

cyana, my mom sent me the link to the Tony Bennett piece, and it actually came up in my Yoga for Healthy Aging training this weekend! I'll continue to check in here about the training, but I'm also adding a longer report to the Yoga Workshop Reporter thread on GD.

This morning we did a 1-hour practice focused on balance and agility. I continue to learn new things; I want to run out and teach everything at once! I do think I might have to work in "Goddess Monster Stomp" pose in a Halloween-themed class.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOSWrKH3_OE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtN_WZoQkgk (2.0 version)

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 10-10-21, 01:16 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Cyana, thanks for the veggie burger recipe link.
Our grandson is OK about going to school now. I've asked him what his favorite part of the day at school was and he says "lunch", LOL! I hope our grandsons have fond memories of my DH and I once we have left this earth.
My DH was a big fan of the Doobie Brothers. I sent him the YouTube links you gave and he enjoyed them.

Beth, thanks for posting more details in the Yoga Workshop thread about your Yoga for Healthy Aging training.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-21, 07:08 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Hi friends! Wrapped up the first 3 days of my training; we'll resume next Friday. I'm glad to be off tomorrow!

Here was my week:

Monday
Kettlebell - 50 swings
30MTF Body Design - Bootcamp & Weighted Kickboxing segments
Yoga Tune Up Massage Therapy Kit - Shoulders, Upper Back at wall; Hips & Buttocks on floor

Tuesday
Tracy Campoli (YT) - Best Arms Workout for Spring
Kettlebell - 100 swings
Balanced Life Pilates with Robin Long (YT) - Floor Pilates for Lower Body
TAUGHT yoga at studio

Wednesday
Caroline Girvan (YT) - Kettlebell Complex, Kickass Kettlebell Series, Day 2
Ritual Cosmetics Global (YT) - Relax Post-Workout with Foam Roller

Thursday
Kettlebell - 100 swings
SeniorShape Fitness (YT) - Lower Body Strength on Mat
Art of Motion Academy (YT) - Slings in Motion, Hips, Gut

Friday
Caroline Girvan (YT) - 5m Warm-up; Full Body Kettlebell, Kickass KB Series, Day 3
Yoga for Healthy Aging Training - Basic practice with Baxter; Essential Poses practice with Melina

Saturday
Fit & Bendy (YT) - Clamshells
Yoga for Healthy Aging Training - Strength practice, Flexibility practice with Baxter; Essential Poses practice with Melina

Sunday
Kettlebells - 100 swings
Yoga for Healthy Aging Training - combined Balance & Agility practice with Baxter; Essential poses practice (mostly floor, forward folds) with Melina

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 10-10-21, 10:03 PM  
JustSandra

Hello everyone!

Today's Workout: The Hips & Legs routine from Mimi Solaire's Deep Stretch Yin Yoga (inspired by our Paine!). I went out for a 1.5-hour walk today, and this evening noticed my legs were kind of stiff. Although my right knee has improved a little, it has not regained full function, which in turn has affected my walking. Anyway, Mimi's routine was exactly what I needed! So I expect I'll be doing this routine again soon, and I want to revisit the other stretches on the DVD as well.

Cyana: I got a bab-size Farberware air fryer. It was kind of an impulse buy. If I had researched it I probably would have gone for a larger one for the extra versatility. But mine is still certainly big enough for a single potato, and I've enjoyed using it for frozen french fries, too.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote