Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-16-21, 10:20 PM  
diggerholliday

Stumbled onto this article concerning grip strength:
https://www.inverse.com/mind-body/gr...ealthy-lifting

The article details why grip strength is important, gives different suggestions for improving it plus there are additional links to training programs embedded.
diggerholliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-21, 03:24 PM  
Garrie A.

FEW MONTHS LONG THREAD ALERT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
A physical therapist tested my grip strength with a spring gadget. I bet you could find something like that online.
Jane, after thinking about it for several weeks I finally took the plunge on this dynamometer from Amazon two days ago:

Gripx Dynamometer

It arrived today and I decided to test it out. I'm writing my numbers down here to have as a baseline (and to refer back to). Oh boy, is my grip strength laughable.

Right hand: 60.4 lbs.
Left hand: 60 lbs. (my dominant hand)

According to the chart included with the gadget, normal grip strength for me (a 25 year old male) is between 83.1-126.8 lbs. If I was a woman of the same age, I would be in the normal range (56.5-91.3 lbs.).
Now I have to admit I've slacked off a bit on my ball and gripper squeezes while driving to/from work, plus my planned 2x weekly farmer's walks added on to the end of a workout (one day 3-4 sets of 100 steps, second day 5 minute timed walk).

But there's some good news. I've been doing some Body Beast the past few weeks and my grip wasn't really failing much throughout (except towards the end of Bulk Back with the deadlift single set holding 40s in each hand during the 8 rep sets was a struggle). I used my Cathe Fit Tower for the pull-ups in the back workouts, and I noticed that two weeks into my Beast rotation that my hands stopped cramping when it was time for pull-ups. On a (semi-related) side note, a few weeks ago I also re-took up knitting and crocheting (after an over year-long hiatus), and I've noticed that my hands haven't been fatiguing as much as when I started. So I've felt like I've been making some progress, but according to the dynamometer I haven't. Or maybe I have, but subtly.

That said, I still have lots of room for improvement. Nowhere to go but up, right?
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grip strength, indian clubs