Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-26-21, 03:39 PM  
Scorpio6

Sumo Squats & a Bitchy P.T.

I had to have PT from March-June for sciatica. On my last visit about 3 wks ago, I can't remember what preceded the discussion, but the PT told me to demonstrate a sumo squat for her. I easily did that, they're the same as 2nd position grand plies in ballet and I had 8 years of that. It's just that trainers call them sumo squats. As soon as I came up, she said, "No, that's not it." She didn't demonstrate her interpretation or explain what she thought I did wrong. It suddenly struck me that she was lying and trying to make me think I didn't know as much as I do, because she wanted to keep the money rolling in. I have never been back.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-21, 04:26 PM  
Gams

I would have made her demonstrate what she thought was a correct sumo squat.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-21, 04:50 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
Yes!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-21, 04:59 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio6 View Post
I had to have PT from March-June for sciatica. On my last visit about 3 wks ago, I can't remember what preceded the discussion, but the PT told me to demonstrate a sumo squat for her. I easily did that, they're the same as 2nd position grand plies in ballet and I had 8 years of that. It's just that trainers call them sumo squats. As soon as I came up, she said, "No, that's not it." She didn't demonstrate her interpretation or explain what she thought I did wrong. It suddenly struck me that she was lying and trying to make me think I didn't know as much as I do, because she wanted to keep the money rolling in. I have never been back.
Stories like this (and the one about the water exercise) are why I never go to PT and just use youtube for PT instead when needed. I had a bad experience years ago and it was such a waste of money and time to go, plus I had childcare issues for my appointments. I know there are good PTs out there, but I don't know of any local ones.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-21, 06:35 PM  
Gams

I had a physical therapist once that I couldn’t stand. For one thing he told me I was too old to ever regain full mobility in my leg (I was 47). I stopped going to him and told my orthopedic surgeon all the reasons why and he was good with it. I did exercises at home on my own and went to a local gym and got my full range of motion back in no time.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-21, 07:31 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
I agree.

Quote:
I had a physical therapist once that I couldn’t stand. For one thing he told me I was too old to ever regain full mobility in my leg (I was 47). I stopped going to him and told my orthopedic surgeon all the reasons why and he was good with it. I did exercises at home on my own and went to a local gym and got my full range of motion back in no time.
I am glad you didn't listened to him, and that you got your full mobility back.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-21, 07:33 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio6 View Post
Maybe she didn't demonstrated as you probably had better form than her.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-21, 11:18 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i'm seeing a trend here. first we heard that a doc said that aquatics was useless, then someone mocks a patient about a fitness move.

where did respect and decency go?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-21, 08:54 AM  
LAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
i'm seeing a trend here. first we heard that a doc said that aquatics was useless, then someone mocks a patient about a fitness move.

where did respect and decency go?
We are living in an age of self-entitlement that has bred a lack of courtesy towards others in all facets of life
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-21, 09:54 AM  
froggy

froggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
physical therapist