Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 10-31-21, 04:11 PM  
fanofladyvols

horusosiris Cathe actually addressed some of these things you mentioned at the road trip so I'm going to add in things I learned but I really love some of your suggestions!! I think I will send in with my road trip feedback and credit it to you, if that's ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by horusosiris View Post

My perspective on Cathe Live is probably different than many because I have subscribed continually since the beginning. I have done every Cathe Live at least once but most I have done twice or more. If I could suggest to Cathe how to add to Cathe Live I would say:

1. Have more dedicated heavy work workouts. Many of the workouts use between 5 and 20lbs and many are metabolic (at least for me). I realize that she may be limited due to the availability of heavier dumbbells for the people taking the class in person. She actually had an excellent opportunity to do this when she did several months of classes alone.
It is what you think..it's impossible to replicate heavier work with the sheer numbers of the class and because there's another class that meets right before or after their class so anything too far outside the norm she doesn't plan to do. BUT she DID mention sometime in the future filming lives in her studio with various specialty workouts that would use different equipment. She ALSO mentioned she has been limited in her ability because of her eye and has to start back slowly getting herself rehabbed to that heavier style but she expects to be ramping up to that level again herself soon.
2. When she does an express 30–40-minute class, she could add on a dedicated 20–30-minute stretch/flexibility class.
Excellent idea. And she did say those mobility workouts might fall within the specialty workouts. She said she'd do what people asked for and compile a list.She says she looks at her forum where people post and what comes in through customer service.
3. Announce the classes at least a few weeks in advance. She only informs us the night before. I like to do the classes with her on Thursday and if for instance it is a leg day on Cathe Live and I did my leg workout the day before, then I will not do the class. Having a schedule would help with workout planning.
She doesn't really finalize what she wants to do until the night before and she actually has a list of things longer than they do and modifies during the workout as she watches the audience and monitors herself how it is going. So I don't think she'd ever do this. But I totally get what you're saying.
4. Maybe have structured weekly classes for a month i.e., hypertrophy, endurance and strength. Most of Cathe’s classes seem to be more metabolic
Love this idea. She does try to base the workouts on what people prefer and she said she tries to structure the workouts to be time efficient.
5. Have the cameras stay on her most of the time. Sometimes members of the class are doing a variation, exhibit bad form, timing, is off, rep count off etc.
That's interesting. She mentioned she has Jen near her to keep her count on track and that in the DVDs Jai and Jen bookend her to keep her on track with the count.
6. Better music. I realize copyright laws have changed, but more thoughtful selection of music would be motivating.
She is fully aware of the music and the issue is just not something she can afford to pay for better. She's not any happier about it than we are. She mentioned other people using music like Les Mills but they must be able to afford the coats but she can't. She mentioned that she has to pay quite a bit for the music she uses for the lives and the DVDs. Lives coat even more because of the worldwide audience potential
7. Increase exercise variety. I know she is limited to what can be done at home, but perhaps she could do a slow and heavy class, a bodyweight class, a Home Gym Interval workout (along the lines of KCM’s HGI workouts), a walking class (of course a Cathe intensity walking workout).
I think this totally fits within what she is hoping to do with her specialty Live classes and are wonderful suggestions!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-21, 04:19 PM  
fanofladyvols

kittybug I expect you to fully hold up your handles of the enabling bandwagon for the new Cathe series ...whatcha say!!?

lavna Yayyy you kicked the boot!!

manley sometimes I feel weaker or not as full as pep as other days. It happens.

cataddict you are full of spunk, woman..60-who? Did I blather enough about the road trip?

bee I know I ain't the woman I was at 35 and praise God and lucky for my family I'm not! I'm way more chill Happy Birthday wishes for many more cool Bee years to come!!

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
Old 10-31-21, 04:36 PM  
Mickey12

Linda somehow I missed you were doing Cathe’s virtual road trip. So very cool! i’m glad you had enough energy to participate after your brutal hike. So do you think you will do a road trip again or was the experience more of a “one and done”?

I was hoping for something different from Cathe regarding the new workouts, but I will buy whatever she puts out. It’s so fun to hear about what is upcoming.

Bee bummer on the power being out that long. I’m glad the ground held the rain though. Good for you for keeping up with the PT exercises during the outage.

Cataddict we got our boosters last week. No side effects for neither me nor my husband. I feel better knowing we have them. We’re planning another trip to Florida in December.

We just got back from a long weekend in Florida. It was great to get away. We did lots and lots, and LOTS of walking, ate some great food and did shopping.

Hope everyone has a good Halloween.
Old 10-31-21, 07:26 PM  
lavna

Hi everyone,

Juste a quick check-in to say Hi! We're are quite busy at work these days. I had to work some hours today and I just don't want to think anymore! (and translate!)

It's good to hear from everyone. Take care and stay fierce!
Nathalie
lavna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-21, 07:40 AM  
horusosiris

Of course i wrote a long post this morning and lost it.

Oh! A new STS series but shorter! I will be in workout heaven. I am so excited.

Linda- Thank you for your response. It was very helpful and informative. It does seem that Cathe is considering several of my suggestions. She must have read my mind. Yes, please include any of my remarks that you deem fit to include in your response email. I do not often post on the Cathe forum because if some deem that you said anything but stellar remarks, they will reply with a barrage of not so nice comments. Many people post, what I deem to be constructive remarks and they are lambasted. I still can not see why Cathe cannot plan a little in advance for Cathe Live workouts. I sometimes do get the feeling that she is doing things on the fly. I enjoy Cathe but what we have now is a mish-mosh of workout styles and types. At least if she thought out the workouts a bit more, the user could more easily place them in rotations and thoughtful patterns. How did you enjoy the road trip?
Mickey-, glad you enjoyed your trio to Florida. What part did you visit? Are you going back to Florida in December to escape the winter? I am jealous.

Lavna-I hear you about being very busy at work. Two of us are developing a new interdisciplinary course and it is time consuming but enjoyable.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-21, 09:45 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Linda, I too didn't know you had firmly decided to do the road trip and I'm thrilled you did it!! Do spill and tell us more details of what it was like, please!!

Kim, did you do Disney or where did you visit? Glad you got to get away!

Horusosiris, I'm also so, so excited about this new series she's cooking up!

Nathalie, hope things calm down for you soon!

Oh, and RABBIT RABBIT, Watulans!!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-21, 12:18 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Rabbit, rabbit! And..... Happy Birthday, Baby!!! Hope you are having a nice day.

horusosiris, wow, those are great ideas for Cathe and I see how over the years you would come to some of those conclusions. So cool that you've subscribed so long and done all the workouts -- amazing!! Especially since I know you do many other types of workouts, too. It does seem odd to me that given how she's done the monthly rotations for her dvds for years now, and she clearly cares about providing a balanced program on dvd, that she would be so haphazard with the Live workouts. Definitely a missed opportunity. Linda, thanks for the comments you chimed in with to know where Cathe is on things. It is a bummer about the music!

It must be so fun to be doing the interdisciplinary course development -- a big added workload, for sure, but probably very energizing to do something new like that.

Kim, nice that you had another Florida trip! I love all the extra walking I typically get to do on vacation.

kittybug, I'm also very excited about the new series. I have a feeling we're probably in for quite a wait since she's still just in the planning stage, but whatever. Sounds like it'll be what a lot of us have been wanting!

This morning I did the Mad Hatter workout -- fun! Fun to see people dressed up. I modified a couple of things for my whatever it is I'm dealing with, but I woke up feeling great and really wanted to try it. I'm sure tomorrow I'll be back to my PT routine + walking.

Waves to all!! Hope you had a nice Halloween, whatever it was made of.
Old 11-01-21, 04:44 PM  
fanofladyvols

I LOVED the road trip. I don't regret what it cost at all. Will I do it again? I don't think I have ever done something so impulsive that cost this much in a very long time. I won't know until the time comes but I'm not completely ruling out doing it again. Might have more to do with where they have it and where we are financially than anything to do with the road trip. On with the trip..

Before the trip she mailed a goodie bag with Cathlete Road trip refrigerated reusable grocery bag that had our Road trip t-shirt, some 'witches' brew tea bags and a cool soft Cathe coaster and the trip schedule.

They also emailed a funny Halloween themed smoothie ingredient list and mocktail instructions and another email with the equipment needs for the workouts. Nothing unusual in the workout needs at all.

Jennifer Arnott and Nancy of customer service modeled and showed us a bunch of road trip apparel and items. It was like a HSN for Cathe customers. My husband walked in and said , " Wait a minute, did we pay money for you to spend more money!?" Obviously I sent him away.
So you had five workouts spread out over two days.
On Friday it was an awesome kickboxing workout that I wish I could have but she doesn't record these !! Then a smoothie demonstration but her smoothie wasn't too terribly different from mine except for a slice of beet (ew!)

She had a short time where she introduced new products she will be selling. Microloaded gloves, barbell pads and barbell clips were the most intriguing items to me. There was more though!

Then she followed it with the lovely 30ish minute stretch mobility workout. I slept so well!

Saturday the workouts were: upper body/cardio; bootcamp; and lower body focused workouts. I LOVED the bootcamp the most on Saturday but they're all good. During the bootcamp my husband came in and asked if I really wanted to work out this much all day. This is when I realized he just doesn't understand anything! Anyway, I hate that I can't do these particular workouts again. There were exercises like a staggered moguls and anchored situps that were so fun!! I wished I could do it again!

The lower body was the last and when I could feel I was running out of gas, but I muscled through the firewalker Barre inspired finishers. This was probably the workout I wouldn't repeat but it's probably because I hate Barre even though that wasn't the whole workout at all.

There was a good break after that which I needed to shower and change and EAT. I think they gathered for the mocktail making but I was behind schedule because I had to bake my husband a pie. Anyway I rushed over pretty quickly with my weirdly blue drink. That , well let's just say, I changed the ingredients to suit my adult beverage tastes but kept it the blue color intended.

Then we had the fireside chat where she spent over two hours talking to us and just babbling about various things. I saw Garrie there and I think his accent is more southern than mine! It was pretty cool to see all the people there and how different we all were. It was also kind of rejuvenating being surrounded by people who all liked what I do. There were some super inspiring stories as well that made me cry! Jennifer Arnott was there and had to help her with the technical stuff.

Cathe seems very sincere in wanting to give her customers what they want. So it was nice to see that side of her. Saw the infamous Chris at the Q & A.

I loved racing over in between my life and joining Cathe and folks those 2 days. The Shred Shed seemed an enormous oasis and never has zoom sucked less I have no complaints with my virtual experience but I have never done a road trip in person either.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 11-01-21, 04:56 PM  
horusosiris

Linda- from your description, the road trip sounds like it was really fun. Cathe kept all of you busy and the fireside chat seems like something I would have enjoyed. I know you are glad that you attended.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-21, 05:12 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Thanks for the road trip report, Linda! Sounds like you made the most of it! You crack me up with realizing your husband "doesn't understand anything" and adjusting your drink to suit your adult tastes. So cool that you got to see and hear Garrie and I'm sure a bunch of others you "know". You know.... it would have been very cool for Cathe to have included copies of the workouts as part of the admission price. Wouldn't cost her any extra (to speak of -- some additional support, perhaps) and a big incentive to pay the admission.

Tags
watulan check-in