Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-17, 05:48 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Question Patricia Walden's Yoga for Relaxation

Is Patricia's Yoga for Relaxation backbend practice the same as the backbend sequence on her Flexibility Yoga (aka Yoga for Flexibility)? I was reading the VF reviews and they sound very similar.

to be clear, Yoga for Relaxation features backbends with Patricia, forward bends with Rodney Yee.
Yoga for Flexibility features backbends with Patricia and forward bends with Patricia.

tia!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-17, 05:23 PM  
Sandrine

Hi, Jeanine,
Just to be clear, are these the w/o's from the Yoga Journal 6 pack, circa 1992? If those are the ones you mean, I'll take a look at them tomorrow and answer your question. If we have power, that is; I'm on the edge of what's left of the hurricane.
Sandrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-17, 05:41 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrine View Post
Hi, Jeanine,
Just to be clear, are these the w/o's from the Yoga Journal 6 pack, circa 1992? If those are the ones you mean, I'll take a look at them tomorrow and answer your question. If we have power, that is; I'm on the edge of what's left of the hurricane.
Sandrine my buddy.... yes, it was a YJ workout, then became Living Arts, then Gaiam.

thanks for setting me straight on that - I often wondered about that series from YJ (link to VHS listing) because I had often seen them sold (after market) together.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 09-12-17, 06:18 AM  
Sandrine

I had never seen the 6 pack either, until I saw a promo for it on another YJ w/o. And then, in one of those strange twists of fate best-known to thrift- store shoppers, it appeared a week later at a Goodwill that I was hitting about once a month on the way to my mom's house, and in great condition, too!

I'll take a look at these when I w/o this morning, and pop back with an answer to your question.
Old 09-12-17, 07:24 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I loved that original six pack. I had it on VHS and donated them when my player broke.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-17, 11:13 AM  
Sandrine

Okay, I'm back from the basement. These are 2 different segments. Yoga for Flexibility is true to its name--forward bends and backbends sequenced to build flexibility ending with relaxation, which is basically corpse pose and the instruction to stay as long as you like. I used to find this one intimidating and more of a showcase for Patricia Walden's flexibility, but today I enjoyed the pieces of it that I did.
While Yoga for Relaxation was filmed on the same set, it has a very different vibe. Poses are held a bit longer, with more emphasis on breathing and relaxing into the pose. A few of the poses are the same, but the w/o's use props differently. They seemed very different even though I did YFR kind of in the midst of YFF.

Like Pat, (Hi, Pat ) I really like the 6 pack and wish I had it all on chaptered dvds.

Thanks for giving me a reason to do these today, Jeannine!
Old 09-12-17, 12:48 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Hi back Sandrine

The Patricia Walden Yoga for Relaxation is on another out of print DVD "Yoga Journal's Yoga for Relaxation and Meditation." SharonNYC alerted me to it years ago, there may be some used copies out there. The Walden practice is a nice restorative one using props. I don't use the Yee one much at all - I got aggravated because it is supposed to be the pre-meditation yoga practice followed by different meditations for the different seasons, but it is not chaptered.

Gaiam is famous for renaming and repackaging programs - wouldn't it be nice if they could do that with the old gems?
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-17, 02:44 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

just a warning about duplicative workouts that Gaiam is famous for:

Yoga for Beginners 2002, 3 hours run time, with Patricia Walden has the YfF (both parts) as a bonus. These have a round "announcement" on the front label regarding the bonuses.
sample: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yoga-For-Beg...8AAOSwfRdZK6zG

Targeted Yoga DVD (from a Gaiam kit) includes YfF (both parts) along with a Core Yoga segment done by Rodney Yee. I accidentally ordered the individual DVD from ebay, not realizing YfF was on the YfB DVD as a bonus. duh.

this is the Gaiam kit that includes 3 DVDs, where Targeted Yoga is one of the titles: Gaiam Beginners Yoga Media Kit.

I really want YfR, which appears on this DVD:
Yoga Journal's Yoga for Relaxation and Meditation, but I already own the Rodney segments, which was released separately. it's cheap enough to buy all together, but I was hoping to find YfF, re-issued and chaptered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrine View Post
While Yoga for Relaxation was filmed on the same set, it has a very different vibe. Poses are held a bit longer, with more emphasis on breathing and relaxing into the pose. A few of the poses are the same, but the w/o's use props differently. They seemed very different even though I did YFR kind of in the midst of YFF.

Like Pat, (Hi, Pat ) I really like the 6 pack and wish I had it all on chaptered dvds.

Thanks for giving me a reason to do these today, Jeannine!
Sandrine, thank you for taking the time to write all of this out! I really want YfR now on DVD!

Old 09-13-17, 05:22 AM  
Sandrine

All the duplicating and/or "parts"-ing is really the bane of the thrift store shopper's existence. Most of the dupes in my collection come from that (ok and the memory not being what it once was) (oh and getting overly excited about even finding fitness dvd's/tapes anymore) .

I miss the olden days when some producers would actually note on the cover that the content had been previously released or released under a different title. You had a much better idea of what you were actually buying.

Jeannine, my pal, you are most welcome. I'll keep an eye out for that dvd for ya'!
Old 09-13-17, 08:27 AM  
laurajhawk

I had totally forgotten that my Patricia Walden Beginners' DVD includes Yoga for Flexibility (2 programs, forward bends and backbends). I'll have to go try those soon - I haven't done them for years!

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
patricia walden, yoga for beginners