Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-12, 05:14 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
... a visual reminder of how much $$$ I've spent on this habit - which would be fine if I had a killer physique but I do not.
Lol! count me in on that!

Those of you who have the zippered DVD bags - where did you buy them? They sound like a good idea.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 05:44 AM  
CHAPLYN61

Smile

Hello, my name is Lyn and I'm a vidoeholic. Time to start my 12 steps!

I still have a bunch on VHS and was debating maybe converting some old favorites to DVD. time to share the wealth, trade, or Goodwill.
CHAPLYN61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 05:57 AM  
Vee

In the soon to come era of digital downloads or streaming, we wont need to feel guilty. We can splurge and splurge and the space needed will be less than two dvds.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 06:01 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

The most my collection was about 125-130. Now it's somewhere between 70-80, but when it creeps up over 80 I start getting obsessive about selling and donating saying I have too much but then a few days later I am saying I better keep them, because I might regret selling them. 80 isn't that much, I guess when my shelf on my bookcase is too full then I have too many. I should just say 85 is my max and just have peace with it.

My VHS are slowly dwindling, I have about 20 now. If mine don't go on STW then I just donate to Goodwill. I have a stack I am going to donate soon and then I will be down to just the must have VHS.

Maybe just start slowly weeding out, take the ones that don't get used and start with those first. You might be amazed at how much you can declutter.

I wouldn't do well with a really large collection, I get major paralysis by analysis with the amount I already have!
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 06:41 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Too many serve as a distraction and for me, a visual reminder of how much $$$ I've spent on this habit - which would be fine if I had a killer physique but I do not.
Yes, this for me, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
vulture speaking: send them to ME!
yes. i am. and you know, i delight in going thru them, kinda like looking fondly at old photographs. then i'll put some of the dustbunnies into my rotation, and it's nostalgic and fun.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 06:48 AM  
kauaigirl

Location: Wisconsin. But I'll always be a Michigan girl at heart!
Well, I have six storage TUBS worth of DVDs. It's entirely possible that I'm in the 1000s. I use about 25 total and would truly love to sell all of the others, but haven't been able to find a way to do that that would net me a fair price and not use up all of the profit for shipping. I was going to do Amazon trade-in, but then heard about packages getting lost and discs getting downgraded to nothing. I don't like eBay/Amazon selling because of the fees and aforementioned shipping charges. Half Price Books offered me $.50 for Cathe workouts. I know I could donate them, but I'd like to get *something* in return on my investment (though I have donated a lot of DVDs that aren't "valuable"). So, they're just sitting in my basement, taking up space.
Old 07-26-12, 07:03 AM  
isebelleg44

Everytime someone comes over, I am afraid they will go into my workout room and I will be exposed. I have a box of at least 60 VHS in my closet and my bookshelf is loaded with dvds. A lot of these are workout systems, which adds to my numbers. I don't think I can count that high! And lets not forget about my Itrain and Cardio coach workouts! I have 4 steps for pete's sake!

I have been a vidiot for a long time and the money I have spent on workout items over the years could have bought me a house or the very least a luxury car! This also includes equipment, workout clothes, sneakers, and gym memberships.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 07:17 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaigirl View Post
Half Price Books offered me $.50 for Cathe workouts. I know I could donate them, but I'd like to get *something* in return on my investment (though I have donated a lot of DVDs that aren't "valuable"). So, they're just sitting in my basement, taking up space.
Have you considered trading extravagantly here at VF? I had that type of problem earlier this year and posted trade lists with the theme of "Everything HAS TO GO!". Everyone who proposed a trade I asked what else they wanted and ended up sendng out multiples. And, I got some workouts I really wanted to try back, less than I started with though. Some I posted to swapadvd.com and got credits for them.

Whatever you do, I hope you find a solution.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 07:32 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I too, have an overwhelming number of dvds in my collection. Every Fall, I take them to my local library, and they gladly accept them. Saves me a lot of time and hassle, and I know they will be enjoyed by someone else.

Just recently, I've discovered that my library had couple of unexpected gems in their collection, which allowed me to try them before deciding if I wanted to own them or not. Selling my dvds is simply not worth my very limited time. I figure, I already got my money's worth out of them over the year(s) I've owned the dvds, so I just let them go.
Old 07-26-12, 07:39 AM  
SpiritSong

I am so glad I have only been here for two years. I counted up my DVD and VHS cases a couple of weeks ago and had 167, not counting my "get rid of it" pile. That is plenty for me and I am thinking much harder about the workouts I buy now.

Tags
downsizing, large collection, purging dvds, vidiocy