Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-11, 12:36 PM  
suegy3

Beginner Yoga Workout Using Props

What is a good yoga workout that shows you how to use yoga props (blocks, straps, etc to get into the poses? Is the Rodney Yee Beginner’s workout good for that?

TIA!
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 12:52 PM  
Eibhinn

I would recommend Suzanne Deason's Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss. It's a pretty basic yoga practice demonstrated at four different levels - unmodified, and what she refers to as 1/4 modified, 1/2 modified, and fully modified. The full and 1/2 modifications incorporate blocks, a strap and a blanket, while the 1/4 modifications usually just involve different hand placements or slightly bent knees or whatnot. You have the option of watching the entire practice with video and audio referring to just one of the levels of modification, or to all the levels/the whole group. It's a great video, and should be pretty easy to track down.

I also like Deason's Quick Start Yoga for Weight Loss (formerly AM Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss, I think) which uses blocks to make standing poses doable when you are stiff and sore in the morning. It's shorter - about 25 minutes vs. 50 for Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss.

The Yoga Journal Yoga Step-by-Step Series also shows how to use blocks, but the videos progress insanely quickly between volumes (vol. 2 has some more advanced poses like full wheel, and vol. 3 has arm balances and headstand). Also, I find the 20-minute practices are too quickly paced to actually use the modified set-ups demonstrated in the 35 minute instructional portions.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 12:54 PM  
JessieMarie

I learned how us props from Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss with Suzanne Deason. She has 3 people showing modifications. What I love is that you can select which level you want to watch and she gives instructions on when to use the props and the person shows it. I also loved that as I progressed I was able to follow a different modifier.

This is not a fast or hard-core yoga dvd. I found it was great when I was beginning.
JessieMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 01:18 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

If you really want to learn how to play with props, get yourself a copy of Miriam Austin's book Cool Yoga Tricks.

(I know, it's not a video, but it's great, really!)

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 01:35 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Gaiam's AM/PM Yoga DVD has a bonus segment with Suzanne Deason demonstrating use of props, and then a prop practice led by her. And both the AM practice (Rodney Yee) and PM practice (Patricia Walden) are worth having in the home yogi's library.

As mentioned, Deason's Yoga for Weight Loss has good use of the blocks, and I also enjoy her AM/PM Yoga for Weight Loss for three brief, feel-good yoga routines that incorporate bricks, a strap and a wedge. (I sprung for the wedge and frankly do not find it to be a useful prop.)

How far into props did you want to get? i.e., bolsters and blankets for restorative poses?
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 01:43 PM  
suegy3

Thanks for the info! Since most of you suggested Suzanne Deason, that's what I'm getting. Thanks for the info on the book but I'm much more of a video person.

I really like Suzanne Deason too! I had her Yoga for Women dvd but I lost it. I mostly need to use props at this point because I've gained weight and lost flexibility so I need help getting into the poses. I'd like to do yoga 3x per week to help with flexibility and to relieve stress.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 03:25 PM  
jplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
If you really want to learn how to play with props, get yourself a copy of Miriam Austin's book Cool Yoga Tricks.

(I know, it's not a video, but it's great, really!)
I love this book too!
jplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 04:44 PM  
bfit

The 10 Minute Solution Yoga for Beginners is pretty good for this. When I bought it, it came with a strap too.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 06:12 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suegy3 View Post
Thanks for the info! Since most of you suggested Suzanne Deason, that's what I'm getting. Thanks for the info on the book but I'm much more of a video person.

I really like Suzanne Deason too! I had her Yoga for Women dvd but I lost it. I mostly need to use props at this point because I've gained weight and lost flexibility so I need help getting into the poses. I'd like to do yoga 3x per week to help with flexibility and to relieve stress.
Good luck with your practice! I love Suzanne, she makes yoga so accessible and you can grow with her. If you happen to have a stability ball in the house, her Balance Ball for Weight Loss video, which is Pilates-based, would be a nice addition as you regain some flexibility and strength.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-11, 07:15 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Just an FYI, Cool Yoga Tricks isn't a book of practices (I don't like practicing from a book either)--it just shows you how to use props in very creative ways to make various poses easier for you.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yoga for beginners, yoga props