Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-10, 01:44 PM  
kauaigirl

Location: Wisconsin. But I'll always be a Michigan girl at heart!
Where do I start with yoga?

Hi everyone!

After getting so much great advice on my running here, I'm hoping to repeat that process with yoga. I have never done yoga. The closest I've gotten is a down dog during my Core Zone class. But I'm in a terrible fitness rut and a friend of mine has suggested I give yoga a try.

I have various DVDs (I never use them, but being a vidiot and all... ) and there are several classes in different disciplines available at my Y, but I don't even know where to begin.

A little bit about myself: I'm a total yoga novice, but, in general, I'm in good shape. I would like to change up my routine and break through a mini-plateau. I'm not interested in "getting in touch" with anything - I'm more interested in yoga for body, not mind. I would like to improve my strength and flexibility. Stretching is probably what I do least, so I'm not as flexible as I'd like. Now that I'm at the point in my weight loss that I feel comfortable with how I look, I'd like to branch out beyond aerobic and strength training. If it's an either/or, I would choose "athletic" rather than "spiritual."

Can someone make a suggestion for me? I'm open to specific videos or, like I said, I can do a class at the Y. Just not sure which "type" is right for me.

Thank you so much!
Sherri
Old 11-09-10, 02:18 PM  
TLB

I am in no way a yoga expert. I initially rented several DVDs from Netflix until I found some that I liked. That said - one of my favorites is Karen Voight - Yoga & Sculpting (this is actually a compilation of 2 videos). The 1st half is yoga - the 2nd half is pilates. The yoga portion can be done as 25 or 40 minutes. This is "athletic" yoga - no spiritual aspect at all.
TLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-10, 02:21 PM  
Hoodone

I think Alan Finger would be a good place to start, and also, Erich Shiffmann Backyard Beginners. I also love Rodney Yee's AM Yoga for your Week, but that has more spirituality aspects to it. I just love it for an add-on to a shorter cardio routine and has done great things for my flexibility.
Hoodone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-10, 02:27 PM  
alisoncooks

I prefer my yoga to be non-spiritual and not too intense. (In other words, I like to stretch using yoga poses .)

I have used and enjoyed:
Sara Ivanhoe's Joy of Yoga (my first)
YogaWorks AM/PM Beginners
10 Minute Solution Yoga for Beginners

These are some I recommend as being clear and concise in their instructions. Easy to follow and friendly, with no huge modifications needed for beginners.
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-10, 02:31 PM  
herya

I think that Sara Ivanhoe's Crunch DVDs might be a good place to start. I used to really like "Fat Burning Yoga" (the title is pretty random, it's not very fast or difficult), she also has "Joy of Yoga" and "Candlelight Yoga" (relaxation/stretch). She teaches proper alignment, but moves along well and although there is no spirituality as such, she reminds you to focus, be mindful etc. I think they are all around 40 minute mark.
Old 11-09-10, 02:32 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Another idea would be to try some of the free ones on itunes -- Tara Stiles, for one, but I know there are a bunch.
bee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-10, 02:37 PM  
cpcathy

I love anything Yoga Zone. Alan Finger's workouts are usually an hour, but there are the DVDs that break into two 20 minute sessions. The emphasis is not spiritual, it's pretty casual. I enjoy them quite a bit.

Nobody Said It was Easy.... --The Scientist
cpcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-10, 02:58 PM  
sherry7899

Sherri, do you belong to swapadvd.com? There are always some Yoga Zone dvds available on there

Sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-10, 03:13 PM  
tigerbaby

You could also try Kimberly Fowler's The No Om Zone. It's roughly an hour long but is divided into sections for different areas of the body so you could use parts of it. Her yoga is designed to be more athletic without the granola, chanting, or spiritual component of yoga. Of course, there is also Fowler's Yoga for Athletes as well.
Old 11-09-10, 03:35 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sherri, if you told us what classes are available at your Y, we might be able to offer more specific recommendations on where to start.

One DVD that I've recently started recommending to beginners looking for more strength/flexibility work and none of the more meditive aspects is Body by Bethenny. This stars Bethenny Frankel, of "Real Housewives" and "SkinnyGirl" cookbooks fame, but the actual instructor is Kristin McGee, a well-respected yoga and Pilates instructor. They have a good interaction between them, and Bethenny shows modifications for many of the postures.

There are actual several "Yoga for Athletes" DVDs out there; another one available is Sage Roundtree's programmable Athlete's Guide to Yoga.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yoga, yoga for beginners