Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-04, 10:17 AM  
cybil

Question What's An Apple to Do

Sometimes I think I'm going crazy. I exercise a bit more, try to eat slightly healthier and I lose weight off my butt and things, not where I need it. This makes my stomach look bigger. And then if I cut back on the exercise, I gain weight on my stomach. But I never lost any there

I first started exercising seriously (for me) at a gym (August 96, after being diagnosed with fibromyalgia) and I toned up quite nicely which really accentuated the lower ab roll. The following summer, I had a job which didn't allow me to go to the gym but I leaned out with a lot walking or biking to work everyday. Then I had some flare ups, and had a physio tell me I was using the wrong muscles for things, I was compensating for injured ones and the the compensating ones would give out and I'd be left in a mess. That kind of put me in a low point but then I got a trainer at my gym in Oct 98 was in good shape by the time I got pregnant with DD in May 99. I never quite got back in shape when I got preggo again with DS. He's now 2 so now I have close to 20 lbs to get rid of and its all on my stomach (some on my back too).

But I feel like I'm going in circles. I know a big part is my diet, which we can't really discuss here. But I was able to get things under control with exercise before. And everything is so conflicting. Low rep/high weight, high rep low weight. The other problem is when I think I'm getting into a good routine, my back starts acting up. But I know if I can get the weight off my stomach and strengthen my battered abs, it woud be better for my back. Part of me wonders whether I should hire a trainer, but they are considerably more expesive than at my old gym (1/2 a country away at this point). Anyone have any suggestions?
cybil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-04, 10:56 AM  
gettinripped

Cardio

Hi Cybil, I'm also an apple. I lose weight easily in my butt, and my legs are naturally thin, but the first place I gain weight is in my lower abs. I find that cardio six days a week is what helps when I want to lose the weight. The last place it leaves of course in my lower abs, but it does eventually leave.
Hope this helps.
gettinripped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-04, 11:05 AM  
Barb
VF Supporter

Hi Cybil!! I'm an apple too, so I feel your pain!!! I seem to get best results by alternating rotations - I find that changing things so that my body doesn't get too used to one routine to be very helpful. I'll do a three week rotation of Slim Series (with some extra cardio - either running or spinning) followed by a roation of P90x or a heavy weights Cathe rotation.

PM me if you want to discuss d*** - I have found a couple of things to be helpful.

Good luck and don't give up!!!
Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-04, 11:05 AM  
Jammin

I know how you feel. I swear, if I ever make goal, I'll have NO BUTT! I used to want to get to a size 4, but I realize that, at this point in my life (44 yo and post 3 kids/2 c-sections), I'd have to sacrifice my whole lower body to get there. My middle fat is the last to go and I, too, seem to get bigger in the middle when I'm in a losing mode. I think it's just that my limbs are getting smaller and it just looks that way. The trick is to just keep going without losing momentum.

I'm not much help here, I know. The only thing that really helps my middle is that thing we can't talk about here...'d'. Also, pilates is something that, when I do it regularly (which is hard, since I find it ), helps moreso than regular crunches and the like. I've read several posts by apples that state that non-traditional ab-work does the trick for them...ie stability ball, functional fitness, pilates, etc.

Good luck!

"It's hard to beat a person who never gives up." Babe Ruth
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-04, 01:15 PM  
firmgirl2

Gettinripped...how much cardio

do you do each day for 6 days, an hour, 30 minutes or what? I too am an apple and I have decided that 2005 is going to be the year I lose weight and get buff! I have 2 vacations planned this year, one in April and a cruise in June. So, I have a lot of work ahead of me and I'm trying to decide the best way to get started! Thanks a lot!
firmgirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-04, 06:34 PM  
cybil

Thanks. I'd like to know about the cardio stuff too. The last time I lost weight (prior to the kids) I only made it to the gym 3 times a week, sometimes 4 because I was working shiftwork, long hours and on my feet a lot at work. So each time I did about 30+ minutes of cardio and 3 day split for weights (so each part only got hit once a week). The only real change I made to the cardio part was running (but only a minute or 2 every 5 minutes of walking).
Last summer (2003) I decided I do running as my cardio, and I was doing 10 minute running to 1 of walking, for 30 minutes 3 times a week, on top of light strength work, I even ran two 5k and one 10 mile race, and I gained weight. I think it made me ravenous. People told me I needed to get up to doing 10 k runs to lose weight but it was too hard on my body.

The only thing I've been doing now is trying to dress to show off the buff butt and hide the marshmallow gut.
cybil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-04, 08:35 PM  
Patti S.
VF Supporter

I'm an apple....doing cardio all the time didn't help me, unfortunately. Last month I did cardio 5-6 times a week all month long. 2 sessions were 30-40 minute interval sessions, 2 were 45 or so minute moderate to high intensity sessions and 1-2 sessions were 50-60 minutes of moderate intensity. I was watching what I ate, and nothing changed!! Very discouraging.

I'm thinking about doing a 180 and trying a mostly strength training rotation with only a minimum of cardio.

I read in Shape about a woman (who's a Shape model) who said that she had totally been able to reshape her body by doing 90 minutes of strength training 3-4 times a week and 20-30 minutes of cardio just 3 times a week. (She had tried the uber-cardio thang as well, and it hadn't helped). At this point, I'm willing to give it a shot. Besides....I love strength training!

Last edited by Patti S.; 12-20-04 at 08:37 PM. Reason: to add a sentence
Patti S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-04, 09:26 PM  
cowfishpro

Very interesting ladies. I'm also an apple. I've just recently decided to up the cardio as well, to see what happens. I agree, pilates has really changed the shape of my abs. The pooch has moved UP, if that makes sense. But I'm still big in that area.

I've been watchin my food intake, but even that has produced very motivating, if any, results. I'm very interested in works for many of you.

Barb, I would also be interested in PMing you about your food intake, if that's okay.

Take care, and good luck.
Old 12-20-04, 09:26 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

Really I think the thing that makes the most difference overall for me is my total activity level. Not what I do during my workout hour, but what I do the rest of the day. How much I walk, how much I sit, whether or not I participate in sports on a frequent basis. My workout time is "me" time, mental health time, get centered time. But the rest of my day makes the difference between fitter or fatter.

That's me, of course, YMMV.
Old 12-20-04, 10:00 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

I finally realized I'm an apple, too. I've lost about 30# since August, but I'm still wearing the same bras, shirts (though the shirts are looser) and while I'm wearing smaller jeans, I'm still wearing the same pant's size at work (uniforms). My legs and hips are noticeably smaller and people look at me and are amazed that I still have so much to lose (another 20# at least). I tell them I hide it well

What's worked for me is d#@^ (you can pm me), I do cardio most days, at least 30 minutes, moderate intensity, am doing more strength training, and I try to stay physically active all day...a biggie, like Sharon noted. HTH.