Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-04-04, 11:38 AM  
Leela
VF Supporter

Lucy, Logical as ever!

And I love that parable. i will save it off and teach it to my girls.
Leela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-04, 12:35 AM  
chi-townpear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie M
Wendy said in her thread that she is spending her time dealing with the offline PMs and e-mails that arise from controversy on the board.

Obviously people are sending nasty e-mails or PMs back and forth over topics.

In my entire history at VF, I have never reported a thread to a mod. Why would I stick my nose in someone else's business. If the mods don't like it, they can handle it without me! I have been contacted once about a post of mine being reported last year, which I disputed successfully. I have had two nasty PM issues in my 6 year VF history.

I am a bit baffled by the post by Wendy too. I do not hold back from participating in the BBF threads which are controversial and I have had 99.9% positive supportive PMs and emails.

I don't know where the offline drama is coming from if not from these hot topics?

Deb
I was on the original thread where Wendy posted. I don't have it in front of me, but I believe her post was in response to one or more people saying that they felt the board had been particularly controversial (and I suppose people less respectful) lately. So, I'm guessing that it isn't just pms, but more controversy in general. I am using the word "controversy", because I am not quite certain how to best capture the sentiment but I got the general sense that some felt that threads were becoming negative, and sometimes disrespectful/mean-spirited.
chi-townpear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-04, 01:54 AM  
Debbie M

Wendy's Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi-townpear
I was on the original thread where Wendy posted. I don't have it in front of me, but I believe her post was in response to one or more people saying that they felt the board had been particularly controversial (and I suppose people less respectful) lately. So, I'm guessing that it isn't just pms, but more controversy in general. I am using the word "controversy", because I am not quite certain how to best capture the sentiment but I got the general sense that some felt that threads were becoming negative, and sometimes disrespectful/mean-spirited.

"I have to get this off my chest...I have probably spent 80-90% of my VF time the past two months dealing with the conflicts on this board and the emails and pms they inspire. If you want to know why VF isn't up to date and why ongoing VF projects aren't going anywhere, that's why. That is not the way I prefer to be spending my time, but I've had no choice. I care about VFers and want everyone to get along, so I try to mend fences when I can, but it has become a full time job, frankly, and I'm exhausted.

So yes, whether or not you agree that there has been extra drama or negativity on the board lately, I can attest that there has been extra conflict, conflict that has required intervention.

Thanks for listening. "

Of course, if there is more controversy in general, there will be more offline complaining and bickering.

Since Wendy posts here and there to give gentle reminders in controversial threads, that would not be taking 90% of her time.

She clearly states that the "conflicts" on the board, not necessarily civil controversial discussions, have led to e-mails and PMs between VFers that have required intervention.

Intervention in a thread takes a few minutes. Dealing with the fallout and trying to "mend fences" (in Wendy's words) between VFers who are taking personal disputes to the moderators or herself, would be the only thing to cause this much work.

I am sure that Wendy has to spend alot of time sorting out general things that cause controversy in the first place. For example, I had no idea that the moderators had spent hours working with Wendy, regarding Joe and his association with Collage. I am oblivious to this type of thing. One of the moderators stated in the "Hot Picture at Collage" thread that this task had taken a great deal of time and effort.

I think there is a great deal more behind the scenes than we realize.

These recent statements by the mods and Wendy really opened my eyes.

Deb
Debbie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-04, 07:08 AM  
PamelaP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie M
I think there is a great deal more behind the scenes than we realize.

These recent statements by the mods and Wendy really opened my eyes.
Yes, there is, and thank you! We really appreciate the effort everyone seems to be making the past couple days to keep things above-board (is that a pun? ).

Moderating is definitely a fluid time commitment in that you spend as much time as you have available to you at that moment, but there have definitely been days since leaving my "real" job that I've spent 6 or 8 hours a day on the forum and dealing with issues. If it's that much time for me, I can only imagine what it is for Wendy, since we all get the "reported" posts but she's the one who gets almost all the direct emails and PMs.
PamelaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-04, 08:12 AM  
gypsygirl64

Thanks again Mods!

Laura
gypsygirl64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-04, 08:34 AM  
gettinripped

That's good Alta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta
So does this cartoon!
I think I'll print this one out and post it on my fridge at home. I'm feeling kind of like that right now. Thanks for the laugh.
gettinripped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-04, 11:29 AM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaP
Yes, there is, and thank you! We really appreciate the effort everyone seems to be making the past couple days to keep things above-board (is that a pun? ).

Moderating is definitely a fluid time commitment in that you spend as much time as you have available to you at that moment, but there have definitely been days since leaving my "real" job that I've spent 6 or 8 hours a day on the forum and dealing with issues. If it's that much time for me, I can only imagine what it is for Wendy, since we all get the "reported" posts but she's the one who gets almost all the direct emails and PMs.
Pamela,

I knew that WWWendy and the mods spend a lot of time moderating but I had no idea that it could be 6 to 8 hours a day (and probably lots more for WWWendy)!! That's a lot of time for an unpaid, sometimes underappreciated job. So I want to thank you, the other mods, and WWWendy again for all the hard work that you have done to make this board great!!

Helen
Helen S is offline   Reply With Quote