Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-04, 01:38 PM  
Libby

Does exercise affect HDL and thyroid???

Just saw my doctor. My total cholesterol was 123, HDL 44, LDL 55. She said that diet and exercise won't change my HDL. I thought it would. I already exercise a lot though. My thyroid was up to 5.23 and it's not supposed to go over 5.50 or she will have to give me medication. She said that exercise and diet won't affect that either. Is that correct? I thought it would.

Libby
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-04, 01:43 PM  
PamelaP

<---is not a doctor

Hi Libby -- I have hypothyroidism (diagnosed in 2002) and my endocrinologist has also told me that exercising or not exercising has no impact on thyroid levels. My personal experience has corroborated that.

Many doctors consider a TSH level over 5 to be high. You might want to consider getting a second opinion. My doctor strives to keep me between 1 and 3.

I can't answer the cholesterol/HDL question, sorry.
PamelaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-04, 01:51 PM  
gettinripped

Hi Libby, I don't know about thyroid issues, but my mother was told to cut down on dairy products to lower the bad cholesterol by her doctor. And it worked.
gettinripped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-04, 02:10 PM  
dsr5

Hi Libby, here is what happened to me...

Had cholesterol over 200, worked out for a whole year, lost 22 lbs, did tons of cardio, and my HDL went DOWN!!!! Ugh, wanted to bang my head against a wall. It is hereditary with me, but I won't give and take a cholesterol lowering drug. Will continue to plod along, keep my weight down and see what happens at next year's blood test.
dsr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-04, 02:12 PM  
doskymom

My cholesterol breakdown is definitely better when I eat better and my doctor said that diet affects cholesterol more in some people than others. I know that my diet does affect mine.
doskymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-04, 02:18 PM  
Barb
VF Supporter

Well my hdl has been VERY low and exercise has helped raise it. My doctor has been harping on me for years to get as much cardio as I possibly can to raise it. Between very careful eating, losing weight and lots of exercise my cholesterol numbers have improved. (My cholesterol was high to begin with and now is just normal.)

However, my understanding is that the ratio between hdl & ldl is the most important factor in one's cholesterol reading. So, probably your ratio is good and your doctor doesn't think that it will effect it. That may be what she was saying. (Of course, I have absolutely NO medical training, so take this post with a grain of salt! )
Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-04, 02:19 PM  
Pam L
VF Supporter

I have total cholesterol of 216 but my HDL is high (83) so my doctor says don't worry about it. He thinks the high HDL is due to exercise.
Old 10-18-04, 02:28 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

s
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-04, 02:49 PM  
horsemom2

HDL should increase with exercise

My HDL more than doubled since I started exercising daily, making my ratio much better even though I still have to take a minimal Lipitor dosage to keep the LDL down because of genetics

Barb S
whose HDL went from 35 to 78
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-04, 04:09 PM  
doskymom

Wow - that's great, Barb!
doskymom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cholesterol