Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-14-22, 08:05 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Todays workouts:
~PT exercises: pelvic drops & glute med wall presses
~Standing Chair Yoga Flow (Daytona Yoga YT) - This was really nice, did plank to updog to down dog with hands on the seat of the chair. This worked great for me. The floor here is hard and my mat is thin so I’m still into mostly standing practices.
~600 meter swim with my hand paddles
~Shorter walkabout, 10,000 steps. DH had very stiff hamstrings so I actually got him to do some leg & hip stretches.

Beth - Sorry about the upheaval at work, that is so stressful! (((Hugs)))

Margo - Yoga, PT exercises, & all those IMS sessions are the reason I’m able to do all this walking. A few months ago I could not have done it. So I’m trying to keep the exercises up two or three times a week as suggested by my PT. I’m an ongoing work in progress!

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-22, 08:28 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Pam, thanks for the hugs!

cyana, I told DH about the cat/Vitamix story, and he sent me this from CNN:
https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/14/enter...der/index.html

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-22, 11:41 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning! Brrrr is it cold. I arranged my plans so as to not need to leave the house today. I feel a little reading binge coming on. Anyway, yesterday featured:

~ My own yin and PT blend
~ GYM for 20/20 treadmill and recumbent bike
~ 7,284 steps

My back started killing me at Costco and it's still sore so I must have done something or slept funny. I might do restorative yoga today.

Wowzers Pam, 20,000 steps!!! I like your chair yoga flow. I bet the up dog was still challenging.

Margot, you are doing a lot of challenges. I hope your hip stays calm.

Beth, I'm so sorry to read about your boss leaving. You have had so much upheaval at work lately. Were people giving her a hard time because of COVID blowback? I know so many people working in academia who decided to retire, who had planned to keep working but now, because of the way people are, they've decided to throw in the towel. I hope you get a new boss soon and that you develop a good relationship quickly.

Waves to one and all - stay warm and safe.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-22, 11:47 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Today is a rest day. This morning I've been doing a lot of batch cooking and food prep for the week plus laundry.

Pam, oh my gosh, your 20,000 steps from the other day is impressive! You walked about 10 miles that day!
Many years ago I had the set of Ballet Beautiful Pregnancy DVDs. They were too easy for me back then but they would probably be good for me now because I'm not as strong as I used to be. I don't remember if I kept them or not. I'll have to search and see if I have them.

Pat, I hope you like the leg warmers. I don't like wearing tight-fitting pants like leggings because they are not comfortable for me (I have a hypersensitive butt/pelvis) so the leg warmers keep me warm and are comfortable.

Ah Beth, I'm sorry to hear that your boss is leaving. There is a possibility that you might end up really liking the 3 new people that eventually get hired so don't plan your retirement until then!
No I haven't been doing the yin challenge every day. I only do the days when I like the pose, LOL!
The sweet potatoes you saw might be Stokes sweet potatoes, which have dark purple skin on the outside and have purple flesh in the inside. Stokes have a completely different taste from Japanese sweet potatoes which have a deep magenta skin and a creamy pale flesh on the inside.

Japanese sweet potatoes look like this when cooked:
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...MygjegUIARCVAw

Stokes sweet potatoes look like this:
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...MygPegUIARCKAg

I also like Hawaiian sweet potatoes (also called Okinawan sweet potatoes) which have a light beige skin and are deep purple inside:
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...MygUegUIARDoAQ

Each of the sweet potato varieties tastes completely different. I have found Japanese sweet potatoes at Trader Joes (they call them Murisaki sweet potatoes there). I've also found them at Whole Foods, Vons/Carrs and Asian markets.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-22, 03:06 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

I think I should have spent the last three months in childs pose. Except that I've had an issue with my left bicep for almost a month that would actually make that painful and has curtailed most of my yoga. Hurt to lift anything, including the arm itself, to the side or overhead. Fortunately, it seems to be sorted. Almost.

My 93 year old in very good shape for her age mother is diagnosed with COVID for a second time. She is vaccinated but her senior living facility didn't managed to get booster doses scheduled before their last outbreak. She was just about to call her doctor about a booster since it had been 90 days since she got the antibody infusion when she got bronchitis again and a positive test. Fortunately, her facility had all the caregivers she needs as I can't potentially expose DH at this point, much less myself. She did have a medical procedure just before developing a cough so unclear yet whether she got it at home or at the medical center.

I did get out for a dog walk yesterday. Before my allergy shots, which have ramped up to a point where they really wipe me out for a day. But less skin reaction this time, so some progress. I have a plan to do Jane's floor yoga and a short stint on my stationary bike with an Ambient pretty scenery DVD today.

Hope everyone else is recovering as well as possible from headaches, ER visits, colds, bad backs, work upheaval and general January malaise.

Linda and Twigs, thanks for the DDR mentions and video link. I found his old upper body workout using chi balls that I have been trying to locate for a couple of years. I borrowed this from VFer Karyn years ago and remember liking it. I don't think it ever made it to DVD, but maybe? Linda, he's the only Tai Chi instructor I've clicked with, too. Like Lee Holden is the only Qi Gong I like.

Very quiet holidays for us, but we had some rough for us weather in late December with a few days snowed in but no loss of power. We were still in the quarantine stage after DH's cardiac ablation so not a big deal. He's doing well but still has some rhythm irregularities that are normal as his heart recovers but can wipe him out at times. No Afib! And now we're clear and in the low 60's for the last couple weeks and as far as the forecast goes ahead and back to worrying about water for the summer.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-22, 03:38 PM  
YogaGal

Life got in the way of working out on Wednesday, but I got to my Jessica Fit in 15 Lower Body Blast on Thursday, along with Day 3 of Kassandra’s Morning Yoga Challenge which focused on Twists and was great! On Friday I went for a late afternoon walk with DH and got caught up with Kassandra yoga when I got back, completing Day 4 and Day 5. The focus for Day 4 was Balance and a bit challenging for me; for one standing pose (Warrior 3 with hands together at heart) I had to stand close to my small dresser to hold on to so I could balance in the pose. Day 5 for Flexibility was nice.

I am addicted to technology, checking email (personal and work), twitter, weather, shopping, etc. But some days I'm so busy to look at it. I finally updated my iPad for a Christmas present. My old one was so old that it wouldn’t update to the current IOS, so many of my apps (Target, Amazon, etc.) would quit working since they were not able to update to the latest version.

Sandra: So sorry that you have another cold, but at least it’s not covid! Rest and enjoy some hot tea and kitty snuggles.

Beth: Sorry to hear about all the imminent departures at your work! It is hard to lose competent people and those who we enjoy working with. Hope you get that new Director by March; that does seem fairly fast, especially in these times. LOL at the cartoon you shared earlier this week. Yes, I have drifted off to sleep in child’s pose once or twice.

Pam: Thanks for the link to Monster walks. They don’t look scary, but I’ll bet they give your legs a great workout! Glad that you are keeping up with PT suggestions and that they are working to keep you able to do all the walking you want to do.

Pat: Glad you are doing better. I hope this weekend gives you an opportunity to relax and rejuvenate. Thanks for the feedback on Sarah Beth’s Standing Stretch. It will be a good evening practice for me if I’ve been sitting all day. After a morning workout, I tend to want more seated poses or supported poses like down dog or cat cow.

Margot: I am also loving Kassandra's challenge this week. I like the short length for daily practices to add on after a cardio or strength workout and the fact that it is only 7 days. I think I’ll make it!

cyana: Spring will likely be here before you know it as we are halfway through January now! I’ll enjoy spring, but then comes the summer heat in Arizona.

Karen Jo: Sorry to hear about your mother. Hope she receives good care and recovers soon. Glad your DH is doing well and that you had a nice quiet holiday. Hope your temps don’t dip down too low.
Old 01-15-22, 08:21 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Todays workouts:
~Essentrics TV: Dyan Decastro’s Live, 30 min all standing
~Moon Salutation Sequence: Honoring the Divine Within (Allie The Journey Junkie YT)
~Another walkabout to get groceries, 10,000 steps. We moved locations today from an Airbnb studio to a house. The rest of the family arrives today for 2 weeks. We are very excited as this has been planned for over a year! BTW, we are in Hawaii.

Pat - I hope your back feels better!

KarenJo - Good to hear from you! Sorry your mom has been ill, it’s hard when you can’t go to see her. Glad your DH is doing well.

Paine - Thanks for the sweet potato info, I love sweet potatoes. We had Okinawan sweet potato chips last night and they were yummy.

Carolyn - I really need to check out Yoga with Kassandra.

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-22, 07:37 AM  
Twigs

Happy Sunday everyone

Yesterday's workouts:
- Kassandra Day 5 for Flexibility
- JDG Half Dragonfly Pose
- Body Groove Elevate Your Fitness (20 min)
- Karin for Abs and Back

Today so far:
- Kassandra Day 6 for Strength
- Bellyfit Blossom & Flow
- Body Groove for the Booty (8 min)
- JDG Dragonfly Pose

Beth - So sorry to hear that more of your staff members are leaving. I hope that you're not going to have to burden more responsibility until the positions have been filled. I didn't like the pontoon pose at all and only lasted a couple of minutes. I have very sensitive digestion and even Jill Miller's ball work didn't work for me. It was just too uncomfortable to lie on the ball.

Pat - Hope your back is feeling better today. Sending healing vibes your way.

Paine - I love hearing about all the different varieties of sweet potatoes you have and envious too! We used to have a local vegetable shop that sold the purple fleshed ones and purple carrots too but sadly it closed during lockdown. Nowadays, we only have organic or non-organic. My organic ones come from Egypt.

Karen Jo - So sorry to hear about your mother. Hope it is a mild case and she recovers quickly. I'm glad your DH is doing well after his procedure. You must both be thankful it's all behind you. Thank you for the link to DDR's chi ball class. I plan to try this one tonight.

Carolyn - I don't do well with challenges that are too long either! Balance is also a challenge for me and something I'm continually working on. I've been spending a couple of minutes a day standing on some spiky balls and bouncing lightly (from Karin's work). It's not always very comfortable but I have noticed that my feet feel more grounded afterwards and my balance has improved.

Pam - How exciting to have your family join you in Hawaii. I'm sure your grand-daughters are so excited.

Sandra - Hope you're over the hump with your cold and feeling better.

Waves to Cyana, Linda, Sherry and Garrie and anyone else popping in today.

"Practice makes progress" ~ Sandra Hanna
Twigs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-22, 10:07 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Margot, I can definitely understand how pontoon pose would not be for everyone! We'll see what happens with work; I'm glad that the searches are moving forward more quickly than usual (there's been times it's taken up to 2 years to fill a position, and 6-12 mos. is probably the norm).

Pam, I know you've really enjoyed your prior stays in Hawaii; hope this one is going just as well! Sounds like you have managed to stay really consistent. I'm planning to teach the moon salutation in class this week.

Carolyn, when I mentioned getting the new director by March, I was talking about the new Director of Counseling Services, replacing the person who left at the end of November. The director of our department isn't leaving until the end of this semester, so I'm not sure when the position will be filled. Sounds like the new ipad was a great present to yourself - a practical one, too.

Karen Jo
, oh no on your mom getting covid a second time! The current situation is so difficult, with even a previous infection seeming to offer little protection. I hope that even without the booster, her vaccination status protects her from anything too serious, although I know it must be worrisome at her age. And so sorry to hear about your bicep problem, although I'm glad that is improving. Maybe the world needs a month or two in child pose!

Paine, thanks for the descriptions of various types of purple potatoes. The ones my grocery had didn't look overly purple on the outside to me, but that is how they were labelled; I didn't look at them closely enough to see if they had any additional info. I will have to look for JSP on my next trip to Trader Joe's.

Pat, the problems in my department are probably exacerbated by covid, but I wouldn't say that's the cause. Honestly, it feels like a lot of my colleagues are just extremely negative and complain about every little thing without trying to make an effort to be a part of the solution. I hope your back is better today!!!

It's <<<brrr>>> here again today, but at least there is sun! Looks like snow is supposed to develop around 9 pm tonight, with 8-15 inches predicted for my area.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-22, 10:18 AM  
cyana

Happy Week-end. Brrrr - the wind is screaming and I see a small limb down in our front yard, so I sure hope we don't lose power. I had hoped to do some bulk cooking this morning, including seed crackers that take 2.5 - 3 hours in the oven. Trying to decide how lucky I feel in case the power goes out mid-cooking! Will contemplate that while I have a cup of coffee (notice I got in the important thing first ). At least my new fleece-lined tights are washed up and ready for action.

Also keeping my fingers crossed that the power stays on this afternoon since today is my final breath workshop with Lee. Fortunately, everything is recorded and I'll have it in my subscriber center. I'm also going to renew MFML for another year. I saw there was a new yin practice from Norman Blair this week.

KarenJo - I've been wondering how your mom and DH were doing. I sure hate to hear that your mom tested positive again - keeping my fingers crossed that she won't have any significant symptoms. Based on what I've seen here, I don't know that being boosted would've made a significant difference as to whether someone contracts Omicron (purely observational and limited in sample size, obviously). I personally know of at least 8 people who have been diagnosed within the past 3 - 4 weeks. The majority had at least 2, if not 3 doses. Fortunately, no one in that group (a wide range of ages from 5 to elderly and includes one pregnant woman) has been terribly ill and I sure hope that continues to be the case for the overwhelming majority. My infected co-workers were able to work through the entire illness (working from home). As I've described Omicron to my friends and co-workers, so far it appears to be somewhat reminiscent of diarrhea in a daycare center (something all the parents can relate to), as it seems to rip through like wildfire. Glad to hear DH's procedure appears to have been successful.

Sandra - Sending healing vibes - hope you're feeling better.

Margot - I haven't had a chance to try pontoon pose yet. That's sad about your vegetable shop closing. My main produce vendor from the farmer's market confirmed that yesterday would be their last day at market until at least May. I hope they don't throw in the towel permanently.

Beth - I'm so sorry to hear that your boss is also leaving. Your department has definitely experienced much turnover in recent years, and I hope you don't find a disproportionate share of those responsibilities landing in your lap. I love the VitaMix/cat story and laughed when I read they've decided they'll make margaritas when the humans finally get access to the VitaMix. Holy crap on that snowfall amount!

Carolyn - I try to do balance work every day and it's humorous how well I do (or NOT) from one day to the next. I'll think "Wow, this must really be making a difference" after multiple consecutive good days, and the next day I'm really happy that I'm not on Candid Camera, LOL!

Pam - Hawaii sounds absolutely delightful right now - hope you and your family have a wonderful time soaking up the warmth and sunshine.

Paine - We watched the last two episodes of The Surgeon's Cut last night. Your DH would probably not want to watch those two, as they showed more of the actual surgical procedures than the ones we watched previously. One was about the first female surgeon to perform a liver transplant in the US and the other featured a cardiac surgeon from India. I'm glad we watched the entire series. You are definitely our resident sweet potato expert.

Pat - Hope your back is feeling better today. A good winter reading binge sounds quite therapeutic - complete with a warm quilt and bottomless cup of hot tea. The weather is crappy here, so I'm glad I don't need to venture out.

Linda - Pharmacists tend to hear things and they also have some behind the scenes interactions with the doctor's offices that the patients may not be aware of, so I'm glad the person there was able to share their impression with you. Before we moved MIL in with us, her pharmacist had several unpleasant interactions with her MD. I never trusted this guy, as he was massively heavy-handed with the prescription pad and more than once tried to give MIL something she was seriously allergic to or otherwise inappropriate. Fortunately the pharmacist wouldn't back down when the MD was screaming at him over the phone to fill the prescriptions as written.

Must run and get a few things accomplished since I'll be in the workshop much of the day. Hope all is well with Garrie, Sherry and DonnaD.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote