Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-09-22, 01:39 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Margot, the 2nd season of All Creatures Great and Small starts tonight on our PBS Masterpiece Theater channel. I'm looking forward to that. I too loved reading about the beautiful countryside as described in James Herriott's books.

It is a sunny 68 degrees F here today and it will be in the low 70's the next few days.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-22, 03:45 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

So for our weekend movie watching, we didn't watch Dune last night because it's currently a premium ($24.99, too much for us for a MOD movie), so instead we watched another movie we had wanted to see, The Eyes of Tammy Faye. For those who remember this scandal from the 80s/90s, the movie was definitely a sympathetic portrait.

Today I did 2 strength practices I enjoyed, barre arms from Fit by Mik and Lift with Cee:
https://youtu.be/_gxR-eT96l4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2IcaGZSEhk&t=1108s

The Cee workout was Legs & Abs, but I only did the lower body b/c I had already done a Pilates routine (plus, she started with planks ). For yoga, I did the backbends practice from Yoga with Kassandra that I think Pat posted about a week or so ago.

No headache today, yay! I think the various self-care things I did yesterday helped.

Today it is "warm" - 39F, LOL. Tomorrow DH & I are planning on going out (I have the day off), and it might only be 10F then!

Margot, nice that you have fish ponds within walking distance! I will have to get in another AoM practice with Karin soon.

cyana, I couldn't read the article, but I got the gist from the photo - cute!
On my days off, I do exactly what you described in the a.m. - i.e., drink my coffee and plan my workout day. I agree with you that headaches seem to respond to different things at different times. I have tried peppermint oil and haven't found it to help much, but I could give it another shot. I definitely plan to try BOF!

Pam, nice that you got to enjoy a swim again.

Sandra, Margaret Monday sounds like a good idea! I do find that having some kind of plan in advance helps me when I have low motivation.

Linda, hope you are feeling okay.

Hello to Paine, Pat, Carolyn, Garrie, Sherry, Karen Jo, and anyone else lurking out there! Hope everyone is staying safe and warm.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-22, 06:35 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Hello mat mavens!

This morning….
~Non Stop Standing Flow (Bad Yogi YT)
~400 meter swim
~Walk to the beach & back, will be off for another walk shortly

Cyana - I’m missing my MELT sessions, I hope you enjoy your sub when you get it going.

Beth - Sorry about the headaches! Mine are so sporadic & seem to come in clusters. Fall is migraine season for me.

Margot - I wish I could send you some sunshine!

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-22, 09:21 AM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Cyana, I have 2 sets of the smaller tai chi balls. I'd like to have the bigger heavier set but I think they'd be too big for my hands. The man saw them yesterday and asked if they bounce on conrete? I doubt it. He wanted to bounce it on the kitchen floor so I took it away from him. I'm sure he was just trying to get a reaction and he did. Don't mess with my balls!!

Margot, I like my tai chi with David-Dorian Ross. I have every DVD he made. I liked his set from The Great Courses because he told stories and was a bit more concerned with form. His Tai Chi Fit offerings are follow along and he's more mellow and funny at times. I haven't found any other instructors I like. They talk too much or don't talk at all.

Beth, I hope you feel better.

I guess I'm doing okay. The man brought Corn Flakes and Cream of Wheat so I have a little more variety. He's going to take my Cheerios, pretzels and a few other things to his granddaughter. What kind of world is it when they take away your Cheerios? I was holding off on the follow-up with my pcp until I find more energy but the receptionist called a few minutes ago. She's holding a spot for me this afternoon. Then it's a good thing the man is here to take me. My pcp left the practice last month so I guess her PA will be my new doctor. I'm still deciding between staying with the practice where I've been for 27 years or go with my pcp when she opens an office on her own. I think having an MD, 2 PA's and an NP available, plus staff I know, is better than just one MD but I'm still deciding.

We're going to Costco today, and maybe Wal-Mart, and the doctor. Wish I had more energy.

P.S. I'm down 11 pounds in 8 days. Not good. I'm getting less than 800 calories a day. I'm trying to get more to slow the weight loss but everything is filling and if I overeat I'll be in a bad place. I'm already in a bad place. Lol

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-22, 09:32 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Happy Monday! I'm glad to have another one off (although I am working for the MLK holiday next week).

Pam, my headaches tend to cluster too. The migraines are pretty minimal right now, but the pressure headaches seem to be worse in fall/winter.

Linda, it can be tough deciding to leave a medical practice; your reasoning makes sense if you decide to do it. I'm sure you're inpatient with your recovery time, but it sounds like you need to keep taking it slow and you will get there.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-22, 11:20 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Quick post and run... This morning I did Jackie's Essentrics class.

My DH and I saw the first 2 episodes of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and it was really funny! We are looking forward to watching more episodes.
Old 01-10-22, 12:15 PM  
cyana

Happy Moan-Day. I confess to excessive moaning this morning, LOL! I want to retire - today, preferably!

Today will be a live class with Lee at minimum and hopefully I can get in N.O. dumps or something else earlier in the day. Thankfully the sun is shining, but it is cold outdoors.

Paine - There isn't a lot of emphasis on the actual surgical procedures in the Surgeon's Cut episodes that I've watched so far. - meaning as far as not focusing on the blood and guts angle. One was about an intrauterine surgery procedure to treat a specific complication of twin pregnancies and the worst part for someone concerned about the cringe factor was when the doctor poked the instrument through the abdominal wall - not at all gross, just makes you have a sympathy wince (although the area was numbed up and the patients were fine). The one on brain surgery shows the scalpel on the skin at the beginning of surgery and there are several (maybe 2, I think) very brief shots of the open surgical site - would be easy to glance away if it bothered your DH. I would think the squeamish would find them to be quite low on the gross-out scale, if that helps. While the surgeons are experts/pioneers in their respective specialties, the story focuses on the big picture - the surgeon's story (how they got where they are, how and why they developed some of the procedures, where they grew up, etc.), the patients and their family, etc. I'll let you know about the other two when I have a chance to watch them.

Beth - I'm jealous of your day off. I'm definitely channeling some serious Ferris Bueller today.

Linda - As much as those tai chi balls cost, I definitely wouldn't be up for trying to see if they bounce. Some of those things are like works of art. Good luck with your doctor decision. I've struggled with that since my doctor retired. She still owns the practice, but it isn't the same. I'm overdue to go back and keep procrastinating. It's nearly impossible to find a doctor/practice that ticks all my boxes and admittedly, I am picky because I don't subscribe to "a pill for every ill" and so many doctors are 100% cookie cutter/one size fits all and never discuss how to achieve and maintain good health. Off my soapbox, now!

Margot - David-Dorian Ross was my gateway to tai chi and here's a link to his first practice that I did - AM Chi - someone has posted to YT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NR_vaD_jYg . I still have this on VHS! He also has multiple practices on YT. I see he has some 10 minute seated practices that I might try sneaking in during my work day. I must look up kokum - that's a new one on me!

Alas, Ferris must now get back to work. Waves to ALL!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-22, 12:24 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Happy Moan Day! Yesterday featured:

~ Shakti Warrior class 10, Seal the Deal
~ YWK Liver & Gall Bladder Yin Yoga
~ 2,325 steps

It was another slug fest day. The cold must be doing it to me. We're going below zero this week.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-22, 12:32 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Let me try to catch up a bit.

Cyana, I hear you on retirement. Some day, some day.... Your farmer’s market situation sounds dire, good luck to all.

Beth, I’m sorry to hear you have pressure headaches. Do you mean as in, sinus pressure? Tammy Faye Baker - LOL! I’ll never forget that makeup, and their deluxe accommodations doghouse.

Paine, is it a new All Creatures series? My whole family was ACG&S fanatics during the ‘70s-‘80s and we read all the books, too.

Pam, enjoy those beach walks.

Waves all! Be well!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-22, 01:59 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Cyana, if The Surgeon's Cut is low on the gross-out scale then my DH will be more motivated to watch.
By the way, my DH loves being retired!

Pat, the new 2nd season of All Creatures Great and Small started last night. We recorded it so we will probably watch it tonight. We set our cable to record all the episodes. I have never seen the ACG&S series from the 70's-80's! I didn't even know about them back then. I read the books in the last 5 years.