Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-25-21, 09:12 AM  
Leonana

I’m also sorry you were treated so unprofessionally. That’s wonderful that the cancer was caught in time and your surgeon found it all. Sending wishes for a speedy recovery.
Old 09-25-21, 10:33 AM  
Izzy

I am also sorry for this horrible experience. I agree with others that this should be reported. I have also experienced being rushed out the door before I feel I am stable and ready. When questioned about this, the nurses were very defensive. One actually said "you were out of it, how do you know how long it was." Hmm? Yes, exactly my point. The quality of health care these days just bothers me to no end. The cost have skyrocketed and the level of care has diminished. The quote for my dental procedure includes 5% charge if I pay by check and 2% charge if I pay by CC. "So, if I bring in a jar of pennies you won't charge me to pay you?"

This also reminds me of that story several years ago when the patient sued the hospital and the doctor for mocking him while he was under during the colonoscopy. He said his phone was in his back pocket and the "record" button was accidently activated and he recorded their conversations during the procedure and the medical professionals mocking him. I am not sure the accidental cell phone part was true but either way they got caught.
Old 09-25-21, 11:41 AM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I am also sorry for this horrible experience. The quality of health care these days just bothers me to no end.
I’m in Boston and we supposedly have some of the best hospitals in the country if not the world. For the past month I have been in and out of hospitals including emergency rooms, with my elderly aunt who has Alzheimer’s. It is a complete nightmare. We sat in the emergency room one night for over seven hours before she was even seen. She couldn’t understand what we were doing there and just kept asking to go home. Once she was called they wouldn’t let me in with her even though I’m fully vaccinated and she can no longer communicate. While in the emergency room she tried to get out of the bed and fell and had a seizure. I was out in the waiting area and they never even let me know. I didn’t find out until they admitted her hours later.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-21, 11:54 AM  
TracyQ

Sorry for my rant on your thread Gams. I am sorry that you had such a lousy experience but happy that your surgeon got all the cancer.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-21, 12:56 PM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyQ View Post
I’m in Boston and we supposedly have some of the best hospitals in the country if not the world. For the past month I have been in and out of hospitals including emergency rooms, with my elderly aunt who has Alzheimer’s. It is a complete nightmare. We sat in the emergency room one night for over seven hours before she was even seen. She couldn’t understand what we were doing there and just kept asking to go home. Once she was called they wouldn’t let me in with her even though I’m fully vaccinated and she can no longer communicate. While in the emergency room she tried to get out of the bed and fell and had a seizure. I was out in the waiting area and they never even let me know. I didn’t find out until they admitted her hours later.
There is no excuse for this. And their excuse is COVID. The health care system is blaming COVID for everything. I am not suggesting COVID hasn't thrown off everyone including the medical field but I am saying there are other medical issues going on right now that have nothing to do with COVID and people who have these issues are being put aside only so the medical personnel can deal with COVID. I applaud the front line people who are caring for the COVID patients but I am baffled that people with other serious issues are told they have to wait, sometimes up to 6 weeks to see a doctor.
Old 09-25-21, 03:16 PM  
moonbeam31

Oh my goodness! How rattling! No wonder most of people never want to go to the doctor/hospital for routine or preventative procedures! Hugs to you for this nerve wracking experience!
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-21, 08:27 PM  
Cybersparkle

Gams, so sorry u had to go thru this! I wish u a speedy recovery.

I have a life threatening autoimmune disorder and have had to deal with subpar medical staff & care aplenty.

Sometimes this helps to prevent issues & at least if not u have a paper trail of proof.

Upon first visit, I take paper notes during the visit. I am sure to get the proper spelling of all technical terms. I have several points/issues/questions that I want covered & prepare ahead them of time. Most visits are rushed, they talk fast, I talk faster and make sure I get all my ?s n concerns covered. They say, "Oh we will give u a print out summary", I say "Forgive me, I am old school & this helps me to organize my thoughts better. Just a part of my type A personality, ha ha." And continue to diligently take my notes.

I havent done this yet but I am prepared to. Video or audio record each visit on your phone. In order to put all at ease & make them feel comfortable and still get what I need from them, I say sweetly that I understand how overworked they are and my notes/recordings help me to remember all the difficult medical terms I might misspell or forget so I can look them up later for further study.

One young doctor actually began to laugh out loud at my note taking, then stopped abruptly after she looked at my face & saw how serious I was.

For any kind of surgery or removal, I ask the doctor to take pictures of it. Or do it myself if I can. Ex - I had a small lipoma (dime sized fat deposit) on side of my forehead & got a picture of it in the little vile. I have also brought pictures in and requested they be uploaded to my file so other doctor can see in the future.

I say, the more reasons you can make to pull out your phone & take pictures the better. Like, TracyQ where they lost (!) her Aunt with Alzheimers. Maybe take picture of the hallway & say, ok now I can remember which way to go. Or, start getting tittles and names - "ok, what is the name & title of the nurse doctor who will be wheeling her down?" "I need to know ahead of time where she will be taken to, what room/floor/dept." And be recording on phone or writing it down in a notepad while asking.

All of this will make some medical staff wake up out of autopilot and realize they will are being held accountable and will have to take time with this one. I try to be as friendly as possible, compassionate for their situation too and break the ice with jokes.

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn how to surf! ~Jon Kabat-Zinn
Cybersparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-21, 11:28 PM  
Taiga

I like the people at VF. I've been here for over 20 yrs and many of you feel like neighbors. I have specifically enjoyed the OP's discussions many times. That is why I initially considered not contributing to this thread. I worry about misunderstandings or hurt feelings. But ultimately I think "flipping the coin" might give fair-minded people a chance to see it all from a different perspective.

You are right. Medicine was in trouble long before Covid showed. Addictions and mental health issues have decimated the system. Outrageous behavior on the part of many patients has further cannibalized the hope of a meaningful doctor patient relationship. Frivolous lawsuits for an easy payday, lack of any personal responsibility for self-care, drug seeking, extraordinary rudeness and physical aggression are all part of the deal now. Enter Covid and you get to pile on so much more without any breaks or adequate staff. Then you can stay after your 16 hr shift and do mountains of paperwork/red tape.

FYI- since our government started paying folks to stay home, it has become nearly impossible to adequately staff. Would you take a paycheck to stay safe at home and avoid increased risk of Covid infection? Many people have. The schedule is over-whelming and there isn't enough support staff to cover the basics. Equipment is not being repaired and medical supplies are not adequately stocked. Prices for medical supplies have skyrocketed due to shortages and unscrupulous profiteers. Many health professionals are juggling multiple duties. Sorry if the silverware isn't polished to the old standards. All of the medical facilities in our area are desperately hiring so please feel free to come in and lend a hand. That nurse who is rushing to get you to the door is already late to the next patient, who will also complain that they didn't get enough of her time. Does anybody here actually believe that the nurse enjoys being constantly pressured to run and stress all day?

I think the real problem here is that AMERICA IS FALLING and the population is so accustomed to the past standard that they can't see the forest for the trees. If good people don't stand up and pull together, I believe it will eventually all collapse. There is so much drain on the system and the cracks that are forming are well known to your medical providers.

So if you find yourself in a room with a medical assistant (who these days might actually be a dental assistant hired out of pure desperation) and they start to share your medical info inappropriately, try to advocate for yourself. Kindly stop them and simply say that you don't want to share your information. And don't follow your doctor around with a tape recorder or camera. It just makes you look like an ambulance chaser and most docs will quickly distance themselves from you. I think you will have better luck trying to build trust and connect on a human level but of course that choice is up to the patient.

I am genuinely sorry for those people who had frenzied or inhumane care. Nobody who played with that Fisher-Price medical set dreamed of mediocrity and apathy. I hope some day that instead of division and strife, we can have leaders that prioritize humans over power and wealth. I know we can't talk about that here, but I honestly believe that we have the resources in this country to excel in the best kind of medicine. If we addressed addiction, mental health and general manners, it would go a long way to healing our country and our medical system. Well wishes to everyone in this thread
Old 09-26-21, 01:35 AM  
Leonana

Taiga, thanks for another point of view. We have a lack of access to good mental health care and it is overwhelming the medical system.
Old 09-26-21, 08:20 AM  
buffmama

Taiga thank you for saying what others of us are thinking. You said it much better than I could have.

Tags
colonoscopy