Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-10-10, 01:04 PM  
DejaDeb

I have similar yoga interests (interested in yoga for the body, not the mind.) My absolute favorite DVD is Shape's Long, Lean & Strong. It starts out a little "mystical", but quickly moves into the strengthening yoga portion. I love the setting as well -- very relaxing, very yoga-esque!
Old 11-10-10, 01:18 PM  
alisoncooks

With all this talk about Yoga Journal's 3 dvd set, if you're interested in it, I'd hold off on it if I were you. Mary had it on sale DIRT CHEAP recently....and I betcha, it'll be marked down at the Thanksgiving sale. Just a thought...
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-10, 03:13 PM  
Terri1222
VF Supporter

The yoga practice that got me into yoga was Baron Baptiste's Unlocking Athletic Power. Only 30 minutes but a nice little practice.

But I love reading these other ideas - keep 'em coming!

Terri

Crap happens in bunches - Beth

Just 'cuz I want to be a hermit doesn't mean I don't get lonely - DonnaB

What the head makes cloudy, the heart makes very clear - Eagles
Terri1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-10, 04:20 PM  
KathAL79

I'm one who started with a live class recommended by a friend with similar interests (ETA: It was in college by a teacher who also taught in community centers and a local church, so you don't necessarily have to go to a fancy yoga studio). I realize now how lucky I was: the instructor was highly skilled, experienced in, and excited about teaching beginners, and she taught a pretty straightforward form of yoga that laid a solid foundation for my later practice. So if you can find something like that, take advantage of it!

In addition to the other great suggestions, Barbara Benagh has two good DVDs aimed at beginners that you'll be able to grow with because they offer a lot for more experienced yoga people, too: Yoga for Beginners, and AM PM Yoga for Beginners. She's pretty straightforward in her language, although some have trouble getting used to her Southern-accented voice at first.

One caveat about the Yoga Journal Step by Step is that Vol. 3 is not appropriate for true beginners to yoga, although you may find it helpful to have as your practice develops and you get into more intermediate and advanced poses.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-10, 06:26 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I have to agree with Kath. There are lots of great dvds out there, but the ideal place to start is a good beginners class with a good teacher that you click with. You may need to try more than one studio to find a good fit.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-10, 08:33 PM  
kauaigirl

Location: Wisconsin. But I'll always be a Michigan girl at heart!
First, thank you to everyone for your suggestions! I have a couple of the DVDs mentioned and I will set about acquiring the others. Beth, here are some descriptions of the classes offered at my Y. There are other classes available, but these are the only ones that would work for my schedule. Would any of these be worthwhile? Also, how many times a week do I need to do this to experience some strength and flexibility gains?

Power Vinyasa Yoga - Power Vinyasa Yoga Experience shifts energetically, muscularly, mentally and emotionally. A vigorous series of poses which flow from one pose to the next incorporating breath, gaze and abdominal control. Increase your strength, flexibility, stamina and cardiovascular endurance. This type of yoga is suitable for all from beginner to advanced levels. Classes are taught by Yoga Alliance certified and registered instructors. Practice 2-3 times/week to see results. Practice 4 - 5 times/week and transform your body, your spirit and your life

Slow Flow Yoga - enjoy a gently-paced flow of yoga poses pausing to focus on breath and nody mind control. increase your strenght flexibility and balance. excellent yoga choice for beginners and seniors.

Yoga Strong - use strength training with a traditional mind/body experience. Use lightweight resistance equipment in partnership with vinyasa yoga flows and breathing.

Hatha Yoga - Hatha Yoga is the umbrella of yoga styles. The goal is to achieve balance by mastering control over the physical body. Hatha yoga prepares one for more meditation type yoga classes.

Thanks again for your help, everyone!!
Sherri
Old 11-12-10, 09:59 AM  
KathAL79

I'm not Beth, but it looks like you have several good options. Is there a way you could try them out before committing to one? You may find that you click with a certain instructor more than a certain style, if that makes sense.
Technically all of what we usually refer to as yoga is "hatha yoga," but a lot of places, especially gyms, use that to indicate that it's not power or vinyasa yoga or another distinct style. My introductory class that I mentioned was just labeled "hatha yoga." So it's a bit hard to tell from that label alone what it will be like, although it should be somewhat straightforward yoga.

With yoga, as with anything, consistency is helpful in seeing progress. If you can only make one class a week, that's great. But if you can squeeze in a little more often, even daily, perhaps as a supplement to your once weekly class, that's even better.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-10, 11:59 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I agree with Kath, trying out different classes to see what you like best might be helpful. Power Vinyasa is likely to move more quickly though, so even though the description says that it is appropriate for beginners, it might be better to attend one of the other classes first to get a feel for the poses. If you want something more fusion-y and athletic, the Yoga Strong class might be right for you.

How many times per week really depends on your goals. Miranda Esmonde-White (of Classical Stretch) says that in order to retain flexibility gains, you need to do a 1-hour program 2x per week; others say that it's better to do a little bit of yoga daily than a lot once and awhile.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-10, 12:41 PM  
tigerbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaigirl View Post
First, thank you to everyone for your suggestions! I have a couple of the DVDs mentioned and I will set about acquiring the others. Beth, here are some descriptions of the classes offered at my Y. There are other classes available, but these are the only ones that would work for my schedule. Would any of these be worthwhile? Also, how many times a week do I need to do this to experience some strength and flexibility gains?

Power Vinyasa Yoga - Power Vinyasa Yoga Experience shifts energetically, muscularly, mentally and emotionally. A vigorous series of poses which flow from one pose to the next incorporating breath, gaze and abdominal control. Increase your strength, flexibility, stamina and cardiovascular endurance. This type of yoga is suitable for all from beginner to advanced levels. Classes are taught by Yoga Alliance certified and registered instructors. Practice 2-3 times/week to see results. Practice 4 - 5 times/week and transform your body, your spirit and your life

Slow Flow Yoga - enjoy a gently-paced flow of yoga poses pausing to focus on breath and nody mind control. increase your strenght flexibility and balance. excellent yoga choice for beginners and seniors.

Yoga Strong - use strength training with a traditional mind/body experience. Use lightweight resistance equipment in partnership with vinyasa yoga flows and breathing.

Hatha Yoga - Hatha Yoga is the umbrella of yoga styles. The goal is to achieve balance by mastering control over the physical body. Hatha yoga prepares one for more meditation type yoga classes.

Thanks again for your help, everyone!!
Sherri
I'm so jealous!!! You've got some really nice choices there!
Old 11-12-10, 01:18 PM  
Diane135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scbayless View Post
For me Firm Yoga was a great starting place. All business, not hard, and lots of modifications. You learn how to do the moves so then you can progress to other yoga work outs.
I was going to suggest Firm Yoga as well. No spiritual stuff and it's a pretty short workout, about 35 minutes.
Diane135 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yoga, yoga for beginners