Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-22, 12:11 PM  
donnamp

Indoor Cycling - Kaleigh Cohen or similar

Hi Everyone,

I have a question - can you use a recumbent stationary exercise bike for "spinning" workouts like Kaleigh Cohen? I realize that there are some things you can't do on a recumbent that you can do on an upright bike - but I was wondering if the experience is "close enough"

We have a recumbent bike, got it years ago for the DH who doesn't use it, and I only use it on rare occasions (like if my back is flaring up) - and it is collecting dust. I would like to try some spinning type workouts but I don't want to jump into investing in a new bike just yet.

And speaking of new bikes - has anyone had any success with a foldable bike? If I do eventually get an upright bike I would like something that can be folded and put away. The recumbent is a monstrosity that takes up a lot of room.... I would have to convince DH to get rid of it - even though he doesn't use it.....he is a pack rat, LOL.

Thanks in advance -

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-22, 12:51 PM  
Vantreesta

Hi, Donna! I can't answer most of your questions but just wanted to mention as another bike option is a road bike on a trainer. If you aren't concerned with all the tech you get with higher prices bikes you could get a road bike if you don't already have one and the trainer I have was $50 on Amazon. Just smthg to consider. I have never tried standing to pedal on it so can't speak to that. And I have a basic trip computer on it so I know my time, distance, average and max speeds.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-22, 01:11 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I don't have a bike but I would think it depends on what your goals are. If it's just to get on the recumbent bike you already have for cross-training benefits, it would have a completely different feel than a spin bike, so don't know if Kaleigh's workouts would be the best.

OTOH, if you're looking to relieve stress, I'd look for all of the virtual scenic bike rides on YouTube. I think I would get bored with "studio" type workouts, but that's just me. ;-) With iFIT, I have plenty of options to do studio workouts with some of my favorite instructors and I skip right past them, in favor of some beautiful scenery.

April Focus:
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-22, 01:42 PM  
sherry7899

In the past I have adapted Virtual Active workouts to my recumbent bike. I have also done Cardio Coach on it. They are not huge calorie burners, but it is nice for a different cardio option once in awhile.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-22, 03:26 PM  
alisoncooks

Yes! Kaleigh Cohen even has some all seated workouts, which are great for non-spin bikes! She also gives tips on how to adapt her regular rides (instead of standing, increasing speed or resistance). Plus, she uses a perceived exertion scale rather than actual numbers of resistance or whatever, so that’s very subjective. If you check the YouTube comments, you’ll see lots of people using her rides on regular upright or recumbent bikes.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-22, 03:37 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Yes! Kaleigh Cohen even has some all seated workouts, which are great for non-spin bikes! She also gives tips on how to adapt her regular rides (instead of standing, increasing speed or resistance). Plus, she uses a perceived exertion scale rather than actual numbers of resistance or whatever, so that’s very subjective. If you check the YouTube comments, you’ll see lots of people using her rides on regular upright or recumbent bikes.
Thank you for posting this! I am going to check her channel.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-22, 04:19 PM  
Erica H.

Here are some (all?) of her seated workouts. I've been doing them while recovering from reconstructive foot surgery. You can also do any of her workouts and just substitute the standing portions by increasing speed and/or resistance. I started doing that after getting bored doing the same seated ones over and over again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBF3nD9IBpE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9sHnLwgz3o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoRw4HDfxEQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEqRmKAQ5xM

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-22, 09:59 AM  
donnamp

Thanks for all the great suggestions and links!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
folding bike, kaleigh cohen, recumbent bike, spinning