Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-26-21, 05:25 AM  
Carol K

I'm 63. I do both weights and cardio for bone and heart health. Both are still healthy, so I assume both are working.
Old 04-26-21, 06:26 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Depends on how you define "works." Weights keep my body toned; cardio keeps my heart healthy; stretching/yoga/pilates mix keeps me flexible.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-21, 09:29 AM  
upperwside

I like metabolic workouts. I get strength and cardio effect in one. I need both. If my diet is on track I look great, if not I can get puffy. I'm 48.
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-21, 10:05 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

At 65, I have to do it all. I do cardio, weights, flexibility and balance work.

With some bone loss issues, weight training is not optional, it is a must.

And, for me, it's all about the food intake.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-21, 10:22 AM  
LoveVA

Three-pronged approach for me in descending order of importance. But overall, I would say that strength training has been more influential in my overall health than cardio.

1) nutrition: most important thing that has given me a flat stomach even at 51, better weight control, warding off all of the diseases that plague my relatives.

2) weights-maintain/increase physical strength and bone health, has shaped and slimmed my body much better than cardio ever has. My thighs are smaller because of strength training, not cardio. Will keep me active as I get older.

3) cardio: good for my heart health and overall physical endurance
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-21, 11:16 AM  
daisyduke

Thanks everyone!!
daisyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-21, 11:40 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

In my college days, I did lots of walking and that was my only form of exercise! Now that I'm approaching 60, I need to do it all, so try to get a little of everything in.

I enjoy strength training more than cardio, but some days don't have the energy for either. So, I've been getting in more Qi Gong, Tai Chi and stretching workouts on the days I'm tired or have aches and pains.

In order to fit it all in, I've had to reduce the length of time that I workout on strength or cardio or do them on alternated days. Typically prefer 30 minute routines, when possible.

But, consistency and what I eat is also a factor!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-21, 11:40 AM  
prettyinpink

Both. I think weights are a good idea for everyone, but especially those of us who might be at higher risk of bone loss and weakening.

For weight maintenance, there are a couple of things that I noticed. If I miss too many days of workouts or am sedentary for more than a day or two, I feel sluggish and not good, and that affects my eating in a negative way.
But if I do too many metabolic workouts, the kind that combine weights and hard intervals, HIIT type of workouts, I feel extra hungry, and eventually worn down and needing more rest days, and that affects my eating in negative way, too.

Finding the sweet spot of balance at every age is the trick.
And speaking of balance, I need to work on that more often than I did before, too. And stretching.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-21, 11:45 AM  
Leonana

Completely agree about finding that sweet spot. I’m the same way. Too little or too much exercise affects my eating in a negative way.
Old 04-26-21, 04:27 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Both- with interval/HIIT work added to the steady state cardio in addition to weight training and stretching/balance/flexibility. HIIT can be kept low impact. I have added a lot of balance and flexibility work as I age compared to when I was younger.
Gemini2874 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardio vs weights, metabolic training, steady state results, weights only, weights vs cardio