Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-16-21, 04:33 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Perimenopause hair loss: any products to help regrowth?

Now firmly 3 years into perimenopause hell, my scalp hair and temples have gradually been falling out. It's now fairly visible and it's causing me even more anxiety (in addition to the 25 pounds that won't budge). (And considering that I'm only 47 and still have very regular cycles, there's no end in sight to this madness. I have seriously had it.)

I've been scouring Amazon for hair products and reviews, but a lot of reviews don't seem real and I'm really tired of buying products/supplements that don't actually help me.

Anything appreciated!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-21, 05:28 PM  
Sarah O.
VF Supporter

Oh gosh, I feel your pain! My hair started thinning in two places this year and it totally freaked me out. I don’t know if it’s age (I’m 53), a side effect of some new medication, or overall pandemic anxiety. I’ve read that a lot of people have been experiencing hair loss this year. Anyway, I bought a number of products from Sisley’s Hair Rituel line and they’re really helping. My hair feels a lot thicker and healthier. Even my stylist noticed. My only hesitation in recommending is that they’re very expensive. I was distressed enough to make the investment but I know it’s not a small thing. I got the Fortifying Hair Serum, the Revitalizing Shampoo, the Regenerating Hair Mask (which I use instead of conditioner) and the Precious Hair Care Oil. Happy to answer any questions. Good luck!
Sarah O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-21, 05:36 PM  
wendug

I've heard castor oil helps with hair growth and repair so I've been using Pantene Fortifying damage repair shampoo with castor oil along with the conditioner. I don't know if my hair has grown any more, but it is soft and silky.
Old 02-16-21, 05:42 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah O. View Post
Oh gosh, I feel your pain! My hair started thinning in two places this year and it totally freaked me out. I don’t know if it’s age (I’m 53), a side effect of some new medication, or overall pandemic anxiety. I’ve read that a lot of people have been experiencing hair loss this year. Anyway, I bought a number of products from Sisley’s Hair Rituel line and they’re really helping. My hair feels a lot thicker and healthier. Even my stylist noticed. My only hesitation in recommending is that they’re very expensive. I was distressed enough to make the investment but I know it’s not a small thing. I got the Fortifying Hair Serum, the Revitalizing Shampoo, the Regenerating Hair Mask (which I use instead of conditioner) and the Precious Hair Care Oil. Happy to answer any questions. Good luck!
Thanks for the recommendation! I did look into those because of the good reviews, but it's just too pricey for me right now. I may eventually splurge though if it's gets worse. I'm sure glad you've found some success though!

The females in my dad's side of my family have horribly thinning hair but they lost theirs after having kids. Mine just started after perimenopause (oddly I didn't lose any after having my son) and really ramped up in the last few months, and theirs didn't get any worse in perimenopause and after. So who knows. My mom and her side didn't have any hair issues. (Side note: Of course my mom sailed through menopause at 45 without any problems and she has zero understanding of what I've been going through...)
Old 02-16-21, 05:43 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
I've heard castor oil helps with hair growth and repair so I've been using Pantene Fortifying damage repair shampoo with castor oil along with the conditioner. I don't know if my hair has grown any more, but it is soft and silky.
Thanks! I did see a lot hair serums with castor oil in them, so perhaps you're onto something there...
Old 02-16-21, 05:55 PM  
ncl

Lori, have you talked to your doctor?

I would look systemically at the hair loss. It can be a part of menopause but are there other things accentuating the loss as well like stress, medications, thyroid conditions and any thing they can do systemically to prevent more hair loss?
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-21, 07:02 PM  
Denise R
Exchange Moderator

The ordinary's multi peptide serum helps: https://theordinary.deciem.com/produ...y-60ml?redir=1

Also minoxidil.

"By far the most important application is those 18 inches between the table and your mouth. Your diet. Eat clean to get rid of fat." Robert Kennedy, Oxygen Magazine

"Having the body you want starts with loving the body you have." Mandy Ingber, Shape Magazine
Denise R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-21, 07:13 PM  
Hazel Porter

I use a spray on product called Keranique along my temples when I started noticing some thinning there about a year ago. It's minoxidil but not terribly expensive (I see it on Amazon now for $17.69 and the bottle lasts me several months at a time).

I also put a scoop of Vital Proteins collagen in my tea morning and evening and it has REALLY improved the texture of my hair (and the strength of my nails, too) and stopped a lot of the shedding. My hairdresser now recommends this to all her clients of a certain age after seeing how well it's worked for my hair.
Old 02-16-21, 07:53 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncl View Post
Lori, have you talked to your doctor?

I would look systemically at the hair loss. It can be a part of menopause but are there other things accentuating the loss as well like stress, medications, thyroid conditions and any thing they can do systemically to prevent more hair loss?
I had a thyroid blood test last year, and according to my doctor, it was "fine". My general doctor and gynecologist both weren't concerned at all. I have always felt my thyroid could use some help but so far no doctor has taken me seriously.

I've had so much bloodwork done over the past two years, and the only thing was mild anemia about two years ago. I changed my diet and that self corrected. Other than that, and my gallbladder removal, nothing in my bloodwork points to anything. I don't take any medications, but I try to eat a very nutrient dense diet and I try to keep up my vitamin D with a UVB sunlamp at home. I also use magnesium spray. I take a B vitamin and lactoferrin. I track my macros and most of the time eat a very balanced diet. I eat a variety of foods and get adequate protein/carbs/fats. I think it's the drop in estrogen as of late.
Old 02-16-21, 08:12 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise R View Post
The ordinary's multi peptide serum helps: https://theordinary.deciem.com/produ...y-60ml?redir=1

Also minoxidil.
Thanks! That has some good reviews, I'm willing to try anything!

Tags
gall bladder, hair, hair loss, hair thinning, perimenopause