Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-19, 02:35 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

If you hate it...you'll eventually quit doing it.
Find some movement that works for you....and look at what you're eating.
Exercise doesn't really help me with weight loss.....it gives me shape....but really it's about the kitchen table.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-19, 04:22 PM  
marki64

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
Exercise doesn't really help me with weight loss.....it gives me shape....but really it's about the kitchen table.
That's exactly it!
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-19, 04:30 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

I don't like HIIT. In BBOD's LIIFT4, there is a real modifier keeping the HIIT low-impact. I still didn't like it, but my knees & I were able to do it.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-19, 04:57 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
There are programs out there that are based on the original HIIT research. They are very short segments that involve going all out for 30-60 sec and alternating that with more steady state movement with a total length around 5-7 minutes. As HIIT became a buzz word, more programs included longer segments and people started adding several sessions per week. That increases the risk of injury and negative cortisol effects. The original idea behind HIIT was to be able to get the cardio/growth hormone benefits without exercising for hours!!
I've recently read things that agree with your post and others'--both (1) that HIIT as studied is more like what you describe and (2) that supposed "HIIT" programs often are different. I've also read similar things about "Tabata" in particular.

Certainly intervals themselves may be done over significantly longer total periods, but not all interval workouts are HIIT. (Of course, I'm not saying that other interval workouts are "bad," just that terms should be used with care.) I'm at least mentally sympathetic to the idea that, say, "HIIT for an hour" is something of an oxymoron.

I've also begun regular HIIT for the first time lately, initially as a way of tweaking a lower-intensity interval program. It's not high-impact, I've seen improvements in my abilities and my energy, and HIIT is more sustainable for me than a steady diet of only longer steady-state workouts (if only because HIIT fits better into my schedule). Although "fun" or enjoyment isn't an important mental factor for me (and I'm glad that it's not), I even find HIIT more enjoyable than steady-state (which I'm still doing on other days--I don't call it boring, but I just like the HIIT sessions better). Of course, I'm not saying that Everyone Must Do HIIT but agreeing with the idea, at least for some people, that something closer to the originals may be worth exploring.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-19, 06:20 PM  
prettyinpink

I agree with Taiga.

And I agree with everyone who said to do what is sustainable for you. If I do something that is dread-inducing for me, I have to have very specific reasons and goals and then I can still only do it for some defined period of time. Like, four weeks of something really hard for me because I know it will improve my fitness in a particular way.

Anecdotally, I found that doing 15-20 minutes of HIIT a couple of times per week greatly increased my cardio capacity, which makes lots of things more enjoyable. I don’t really enjoy most steady state cardio for more than 20 minutes, though. Thirty is pushing it. But with HIIT, going for a run became much easier, so I enjoyed it more.

For me, fitness doesn’t contribute much to weight loss, except that it makes me feel better in my body so I want to eat better. It’s almost all about the food. Finding that sweet spot for exercise where you feel worked out but aren’t wanting to eat everything in the kitchen the next day, is the trick.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-19, 06:35 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

What took you so long? I've hated HIIT for years.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-19, 05:06 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I'm kind of on the fence about HIIT. If I'm in the right mood, I can 'enjoy' it. I do like intervals... makes the workout interesting, I find. It's the high intensity part that can produce major dread.

I'm a firm believer that exercise should be at least somewhat enjoyable, so if you hate it, maybe let whatever the research says fall by the wayside. Or, you could just take the intensity down a notch or two.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-19, 05:07 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
and +2 on what Jackie said!
Old 05-06-19, 07:46 AM  
Karla25

I don’t do workouts that I dread. I want to enjoy what’s left of my life. I workout about 1-3 hours most days. I’m about 15lbs overweight and old. I used to be a size 6 now am a size 10. I felt totally embarrassed the other day when I found myself eagerly rushing to the size L clothing sale rack. However, I’ve come to realize that all the things that I thought were so important when I was young aren’t as important as I thought. I’m much happier now that I’ve lost my looks and gained some weight. We have to find a balance in life. None of us will become supermodels. If we have a little extra weight it’s not going to impact our life negatively unless we allow it to do so. It’s our choice. Admittedly, this has been a difficult struggle for me to come to terms with.

My husband likes to go out for lunch everyday and that’s my biggest downfall as to maintaining my weight. I made a choice that I would go out and enjoy my time with him. I want us to be happy and enjoy our time together. I no longer exercise just to have a nice physique. I now exercise because it helps with my emotional well-being. I also enjoy feeling strong and flexible. It’s empowering to be able to do physically the things I need to do with ease and grace. My advice to you is to do what makes you happy and to please enjoy your life today. None of us are guaranteed a tomorrow.
Old 05-06-19, 08:35 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla25 View Post
I don’t do workouts that I dread. I want to enjoy what’s left of my life. I workout about 1-3 hours most days. I’m about 15lbs overweight and old. I used to be a size 6 now am a size 10. I felt totally embarrassed the other day when I found myself eagerly rushing to the size L clothing sale rack. However, I’ve come to realize that all the things that I thought were so important when I was young aren’t as important as I thought. I’m much happier now that I’ve lost my looks and gained some weight. We have to find a balance in life. None of us will become supermodels. If we have a little extra weight it’s not going to impact our life negatively unless we allow it to do so. It’s our choice. Admittedly, this has been a difficult struggle for me to come to terms with.

My husband likes to go out for lunch everyday and that’s my biggest downfall as to maintaining my weight. I made a choice that I would go out and enjoy my time with him. I want us to be happy and enjoy our time together. I no longer exercise just to have a nice physique. I now exercise because it helps with my emotional well-being. I also enjoy feeling strong and flexible. It’s empowering to be able to do physically the things I need to do with ease and grace. My advice to you is to do what makes you happy and to please enjoy your life today. None of us are guaranteed a tomorrow.
I this! Thank you, Karla.

Tags
hiit, hiit versus steady state, steady state results