Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-19, 10:18 AM  
kat999

I think I'm starting to hate HIIT

I've been trying to do a rotation of steady state cardio (power walking, jogging, a little bit of running), AWT (FIRM, Jari Love), and a mix of yoga and pilates so that I get a good variety and reduce boredom in my workouts. I think about six months ago, I heard a podcast that said that people over 40 or so should reduce steady state cardio and integrate in more weight training and HIIT, as just cardio doesn't do much and over 40 our metabolisms just don't really operate that way anymore. So I tried to add in a day or two of HIIT, and I just honestly hate high impact and frenetically paced aerobics and drills so much that I have a high dread factor. Furthermore, even though the calorie burn reads pretty high on my Apple Watch during such sessions, many HIIT videos are under 30 minutes, and I like to try to get in 30 minutes if I can manage it. I have slight hypertension, however, and trying to do 30 minutes at that high of an intensity can make my HR skyrocket to zones that--even with my blood pressure medication--feel scary and dangerous.

I am trying to lose about 15 pounds, ideally this summer if I can help it, and I'm working on non-exercise elements to try to help that along. HIIT makes me hungry, however, and so I'm wondering if it's counterproductive. Is the exercise part of weight loss possible without HIIT? Is steady state cardio really a thing of the past and totally ineffective for anything? I've always subscribed to the theory of calories in, calories out, but I know a lot of research says it's not as easy as all that. However, if HIIT training causes me emotional and physical stress, is the cortisol doing me more metabolic harm than the higher calorie burn can offset? Feeling confused and annoyed, honestly.

Edited to add: I do have one of Cathe's low-impact HIIT videos, but even that feels very frenetic and almost scary for me sometimes and I find myself subbing in jogging in place so much that it's like why even do this video, you know?

Last edited by kat999; 05-05-19 at 10:20 AM. Reason: clarification
kat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-19, 10:30 AM  
bubbles76

I think you would still be able to lose weight effectively with steady state cardio. There are plenty of testimonies from people over 40 that have lost weight with just walking. Leslie Sansone and Jessica Smith have tons of fans If your body is saying no to HIIT, listen to it. Maybe increase your weight training, or the time spent doing steady state? For instance, instead of 30 minutes of steady state, shoot for 45-60 minutes, even if you have to split up your exercise time.

I think Jessica Smith has some manageable HIIT training. I also like the 10 minute solution HIIT dvd. I don't like anything that is too frantic either. I'll either slow my pace down to what's manageable and safe for me, or I'll just get rid of that dvd.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-19, 10:56 AM  
Taiga

Fitness fads come and go. I ignore them and do what works for me. HIIT as presented in most dvd programs definitely does NOT work for me.

There are programs out there that are based on the original HIIT research. They are very short segments that involve going all out for 30-60 sec and alternating that with more steady state movement with a total length around 5-7 minutes. As HIIT became a buzz word, more programs included longer segments and people started adding several sessions per week. That increases the risk of injury and negative cortisol effects. The original idea behind HIIT was to be able to get the cardio/growth hormone benefits without exercising for hours!!

Steady state works. And "metabolisms over 40" respond far better to dietary change than anything else. IMHO, listen to your body on this one. HIIT comes with higher risk of injury and if it's making you more hungry, it will negate any weight loss benefits. If you feel determined, you could consider 2 five minute sessions of HIIT per week, maybe on a rebounder to reduce impact. Something like this--though you could sub other moves or even use a treadmill/bike. The idea is just to go all out in very short bursts for a limited time.

ETA: As a 5 min add-on, this program would not interfere with any other planned rotation. You could just tack it on to the end f your regular exercise.
Old 05-05-19, 11:01 AM  
PhyllisG

I also hate HIIt I also have hypertension and my HR skyrockets and I feel like I could faint. Not everything works for everybody and not everyone knows what they are talking about. Whoever wrote that article has no idea of contraindications. Steady state is what i prefer. Learn what works best for you and don’t feel pressured.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-19, 12:03 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

I have greatly reduced HIIT from my routine because my appetite becomes out of control, which is definitely counter-intuitive.

Echoing other people's input:

I am in my mid-30s and I noticed that after 30, dietary changes are so much more impactful than any exercise for losing weight. I'm sure that will become even more the case as I get into my 40s and older.

I do think the 10 Minute Solution HIIT DVD is a good one for bite-size HIIT, and pretty doable.
Old 05-05-19, 12:09 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Fitness fads definitely do come and go. I find that integrating different styles works well for me since I have exercise ADD. I've stopped reading a lot of these articles that are written for the "general population" and each of us is different. If you are doing something you dislike, you won't keep it up, and that's the key to it along with the "d" word, of course. I do some HITT and also some steady state cardio.

I also agree that the original concept of HIIT has been altered. I think the intention was short bursts of all out work with periods of rest and the whole deal shouldn't be nearly as long as what is being promoted now---maybe 20-25 minutes top including warmup/cooldown.

It may be that HIIT can assist people over 40 with a burst in metabolism, but it isn't the only way to lose weight. You need to do what works for you and it sounds like you are on the right track.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-19, 12:26 PM  
Lannette

How about adding some faster intervals to the steady state cardio you enjoy? Personally I don’t enjoy killer cardio (AKA HIIT) as much as I do comfortable cardio. I just pick it up for a minute or so during any session and consider myself good. I’m almost 64 and am happy with my body and health so I’m continuing to do what I enjoy most.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-19, 12:30 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I think you would still be able to lose weight effectively with steady state cardio. There are plenty of testimonies from people over 40 that have lost weight with just walking. Leslie Sansone and Jessica Smith have tons of fans If your body is saying no to HIIT, listen to it. Maybe increase your weight training, or the time spent doing steady state? For instance, instead of 30 minutes of steady state, shoot for 45-60 minutes, even if you have to split up your exercise time.

I think Jessica Smith has some manageable HIIT training. I also like the 10 minute solution HIIT dvd. I don't like anything that is too frantic either. I'll either slow my pace down to what's manageable and safe for me, or I'll just get rid of that dvd.
I had to give up high impact HIIT for medical reasons and I thought I'd for sure gain weight! But now a month later of just walking, Jessica Smith workouts, and light weights, I'm down nearly five pounds. Granted I also had to go gluten free and dairy free and no alcohol, so that may be contributing to that too. But I have found that I'm not ravenous and not dreading any workouts now. I can't do heavy weights either, and I think that is helping to keep my appetite lower.

I absolutely adore Jessica's workouts, her low impact HIIT are actually fun and completely no dread for me! And I'm now in my mid 40s!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-19, 12:49 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

I'm over 40 and never got into HIIT or anything involving high impact really (always had tweaky knees... just the way I'm built and had my first set of PT sessions for my right knee when I was in mid 20s). I would like to lose a couple of pounds but really the order of first priority has been to maintain my weight in roughly the range I'm (which has been roughly the same for the last 10 years). Do what you enjoy and do a bit more of it, maybe integrating in more walking and biking during the day to run errands (sometimes that's all I can fit it, but spreading out 45-60 mins of biking in a day is a good thing and that's over and above my 10,000 Fitbit steps a day that are a must-do unless I'm down with a cough/cold bug... like today). I try to fit in 30-45 mins of weights or yoga most mornings before going to work and try to get a hike in the woods in the weekend schedule. And I am a bit more careful about my eating -- hard as that is because my husband is such a good cook and I get free lunch at work! Dread is the last thing you want to encounter when it comes to taking care of one's self
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-19, 01:28 PM  
wlorrie

For me , HIIT is good for increasing cardio capacity and shaking thing up when I hit a plateau. However, HIIT has never helped me to lose weight. It does not burn enough calories for me. Long, steady state cardio is what helps me along with diet.
Lorrie
wlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hiit, hiit versus steady state, steady state results