Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-01-15, 11:00 AM  
lrb04

Sherry Very encouraging post! I have basically been doing that with Leslie & I usually walk when she jogs. My heart rate is not my concern but just doing the steady pace of cardio is enough. I think it depends on the persons goals & body. My workouts are not hard or high impact but mostly endurance geared & have been for several years.
lrb04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-15, 11:17 AM  
leigh1673

That is wonderful!

Steady state certainly does work. I think I mentioned in another thread about my friend/former co-worker who simply started walking - 12k to 15k steps a day. She's lost close to 40 pounds since this past spring/summer just doing that. She doesn't count calories or anything. I don't know if she's had the bloodwork/tests done to show the "internal" improvements but I can only imagine that they have improved a great deal over the last 6 months.

She is... 44 I think? Maybe 45.
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-15, 11:29 AM  
PhyllisG

One of my closest friends has been walking only for the last 20 years or more. She is 71. Never lifted a weight in her life. She is slim, has great legs and her bone density is great. She started walking to reduce the stress in her life. Rain or shine, cold or hot she walks every day. She also works. Whenever I visit her we walk every day and it feels great. She walks on the beach or thru her neighborhood.
PhyllisG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-15, 12:06 PM  
Chomper

Great example. I think it's really an example of doing any exercise vs no exercise works. It's possible this person could have gotten similar results from doing short intense exercise or a weight training program, etc. Just 20 minutes a day has been shown to have crazy health benefits.

Important thing is it's something they like and can do consistently. My dad has hbp and while not diabetic has been told he is "pre diabetic" for a number of years. He walks several times a week, but I wonder what would happen if he walked 7 days a week or did something short like bodyweight stuff on days he didn't walk.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-15, 12:42 PM  
sherry7899

Thanks everyone for your responses!!

Phyllis-if we lived near a beach, I would be out there all the time. We love the ocean-we live about 45 minutes away from the nearest beach.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-15, 08:37 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Yay for steady state cardio! I am 52, and I have been pretty consistent with low impact, steady state cardio most days of the week for a long time now. This is just really good news, and very encouraging for people who are new to exercise, or have fallen off the wagon, and want to get started again with a low impact form of exercise!
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-15, 08:52 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Awesome story Sherry! I love steady state cardio, it's always been a staple in my exercise regime and I love to walk and hike outdoors.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-15, 08:59 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Awesome results!! Thanks for sharing!!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-15, 04:15 AM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Those are amazing results! I've mentioned it before but low-intensity steady state cardio (elliptical, walking, dance cardio, etc) for 20 min is my standard recommendation for depression and what I always go to for mine for the part five years. I also lose weight with this exercise, but to keep up results I have to change my exercise every month or so. (My "doctor's office numbers" are all normal even when I'm a icecream gorging couched potato so weight and clothing size are the only "measurable" improvement I can report. But steady state cardio makes me feel good even when I'm not in a depressed state.)
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-15, 07:11 AM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
I think it's really an example of doing any exercise vs no exercise works. It's possible this person could have gotten similar results from doing short intense exercise or a weight training program, etc. Just 20 minutes a day has been shown to have crazy health benefits.

Important thing is it's something they like and can do consistently.....
^ This!

Very encouraging thread, thanks for sharing, Sherry!
I've always been a big fan of Leslie's walks and at times when I don't feel like working out, even just a mile with her improves my mood and my health! (More often than not 1 mile turns into 2, it's just my 'magic number' )
It's my daily go-to cardio (together with rebounding, which I've started more recently) and I know I'll keep this up into my higher age!
[Puke-in-the-bucket workouts never really had an appeal to me as I'd never be consistent with them. It just never felt good to me!..]

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cholesterol, high blood pressure, results, steady state cardio, steady state results