Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-28-15, 09:25 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I've also improved my health markers the most with just daily brisk walking, for 40 to 60 minutes a day for the most part. My RHR went from 76 to 48 and my cholesterol dropped 50 points. I did lose over 40 lbs during this time also due to modified eating and to a lesser extent the walking. My eating was never junk or "bad" stuff, just too much. I pretty much still eat more or less all things, just in smaller portions and the "bad" junk on rare occasions so it was mostly the walking I think that helped my health markers the most. It's also stress relief for me and doesn't make me ravenous as more intense exercise does. So steady state has a good rap in my book.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-15, 09:49 AM  
donnamp

SummerBreeze - how many days a week do you walk? Sounds like it really works for you!!!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-15, 10:11 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
According to this NYT article there is a growing body of evidence that high intensity exercise has a number of benefits over traditional steady state training.
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/0...ronic-illness/
Sure it has benefits. I just think the OP was asking why steady state has been denigrated, and my response is that there's no need for that.

If one method (HIIT) has benefits over steady state, it doesn't negate the benefits steady state can still provide, particularly if an exerciser prefers it and will be more consistent with it, and steady state will never be a waste of time.

So the question is: are the added benefits of HIIT worth it to me as an exerciser, given my preferences and goals?

Personally, for me, the answer is yes - but everyone has to answer it for themselves.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-15, 10:20 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
SummerBreeze - how many days a week do you walk? Sounds like it really works for you!!!

Donna
Donna, I try to walk every single day. With this rough winter, of course, there were some days I couldn't do it but I would do Leslie or something similar. If I can't walk for a few days in a row, I get really antsy. It's definitely beneficial to me mentally as well as physically .
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-15, 10:50 AM  
andtckrtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlorrie View Post
For weightloss, the only thing that's ever worked for me as steady state cardio. I could never get the scale to move when I did just HIIT. I like to mix things up with HIIT every now and then, but for me steady state gives me the results I want.

Lorrie

I second this. HIIT makes me starving and I eat all the time. A good steady state makes me happy. I've recently dusted off some of my Cathe step workouts and I'm having a blast (literally on some of them!)
Old 03-28-15, 10:55 AM  
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
Sure it has benefits. I just think the OP was asking why steady state has been denigrated, and my response is that there's no need for that.
It's not really clear what the OP meant since no specific example of said denigration was given, only that HIIT is purported to be better for fat loss than steady-state.

In any case I was responding more to other posters who seem to be implying HIIT to just be a fad or marketing gimmick, or that HIIT is inherently more injurious than steady state training.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-15, 11:24 AM  
DEEDEE

I think one of the reasons there is so much down playing of the benefits of steady state is because there are more men leading fitness videos than ever before and let's face it, when it comes to rhythm and choreography for fitness women dominate.

The fitness industry will follow anything that is trendy. Even Cathe is now working off the beat much more than is necessary just to what…work off the beat.

I also think that today people like to work crazy hard just to say, "I worked out crazy hard". A lot of the workouts I see being produced today have absolutely no kind of reasoning behind them. They aren't intelligently built (the art of a proper warm up that raises the heart rate and warms the muscles so they are pliable and less likely to get injured and getting the synovial fluid going in the joints is a lost art) workouts don’t build in intensity you just do a 1-2 minute useless warm up (arm circles do nothing to warm up anything but the shoulder joint) or start off at the pace of the workout and call it a warm up. Remember when HiiT was supposed to only be done twice a week for no longer than 20 minutes to avoid injury and to see the benefits of this type of training?

Now it's HiiT all day every day.

I also love how people who don’t like steady state always refer to it as ‘long, slow and boring’. Really? Try a Cathe step and tell me how slow and boring it is. I also hate that all interval training is HiiT, you don’t have to go anerobic to interval train. And all the new phrases coming out to describe circuit training is really annoying.

Circuit training is circuit training regardless of the mode of exercise you use or the length of the rest between sets. Frankly if you take the rests out, you are pretty much doing steady state.

I also hate seeing HiiT being advertised as the best way to lose excess fat. Yeah, if you only have about 15lbs to lose, but what about the person that has 115lbs to lose? HiiT is more of a performance based type of training that is being improperly used by many instructors.

There is a lot of value in developing rhythm by working on a beat and it takes more control than just throwing your body around.
DEEDEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-15, 12:06 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I am another fan of steady state cardio and a few years ago I lost 10 lbs with long brisk walks and yoga. I live in a beautiful area where scenic walks/hikes abound and there are lovely trails and ocean views right out my front door. I suppose I do get a bit of interval training because we have lots of hills too. So whenever possible I head out and enjoy my surroundings, and otherwise I do rebounding and steady state, moderate paced aerobics Bottom line IMO is do what you enjoy, working out should be fun and it's all good!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-15, 01:11 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEDEE View Post
I think one of the reasons there is so much down playing of the benefits of steady state is because there are more men leading fitness videos than ever before and let's face it, when it comes to rhythm and choreography for fitness women dominate.

The fitness industry will follow anything that is trendy. Even Cathe is now working off the beat much more than is necessary just to what…work off the beat.

I see infomercials now on cable. It seems to me, from my following of everybody's blog online in the past, that even Jillian Michaels is now entering her "Jillian Michaels Period", she is now pandering to the extreme athletes among those hordes unfortunate enough to be watching her infomercials (assuming they are just couching it ... )

Quote:
I also think that today people like to work crazy hard just to say, "I worked out crazy hard". A lot of the workouts I see being produced today have absolutely no kind of reasoning behind them. They aren't intelligently built (the art of a proper warm up that raises the heart rate and warms the muscles so they are pliable and less likely to get injured and getting the synovial fluid going in the joints is a lost art) workouts don’t build in intensity you just do a 1-2 minute useless warm up (arm circles do nothing to warm up anything but the shoulder joint) or start off at the pace of the workout and call it a warm up. Remember when HiiT was supposed to only be done twice a week for no longer than 20 minutes to avoid injury and to see the benefits of this type of training?

Now it's HiiT all day every day.
I am pretty sure those with lengthy commutes and/or working 12 hour days, modify like crazy. There aren't that many hypomania cases among us ...

Quote:
I also love how people who don’t like steady state always refer to it as ‘long, slow and boring’. Really? Try a Cathe step and tell me how slow and boring it is. I also hate that all interval training is HiiT, you don’t have to go anerobic to interval train. And all the new phrases coming out to describe circuit training is really annoying.

Circuit training is circuit training regardless of the mode of exercise you use or the length of the rest between sets. Frankly if you take the rests out, you are pretty much doing steady state.

I'd hit plateaus with that method like crazy. But I swore by that kind of circuit training, when I'd actually been in the gym.
No other method could help my lap swimming at that time.
But it didn't make me go off the deep end (psychologically)
I accepted that--the constant plateaus—and then moved on ...

Quote:
IThere is a lot of value in developing rhythm by working on a beat and it takes more control than just throwing your body around.
Something us dance mavens have known all along

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-15, 02:15 PM  
Sunshine

Smile

Steady state works:

My mother lost 40 pounds in 4 years. At 88 years old she walks every day on her treadmill at 1.6 mph. for 30 minutes a day.

She gets up, and in her pajamas walks 30 minutes every day.

I intend to live forever - so far, so good.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hiit, hiit versus steady state, steady state cardio