Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-14, 08:54 PM  
holliholli915

Your Opinion on Cardio and Weight Loss

I've been reading a lot lately about how extremely long, steady state cardio workouts are not good for weight loss. The most recent article I read went into the science of how the body responds to steady state vs. hiit/tabata style cardio workouts and basically concluded that both are essential. However, it didn't go into detail about best practices for the most effective plan.

Then there's TA who recommends her dance cardio 30-60 minutes per day along with MS work. But, this is contradictory to what I've been reading lately. However, I've done TA and it works!

So, what are your thoughts and what have you tried that yielded the best results. How much time did you devote to your cardio segments? I recognize that weight work is also imperative. So, this is more a question about incorporating cardio. And...go!
holliholli915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-14, 09:36 PM  
cherimac

I was afraid to give up lots of cardio. For years I kept doing lots of cardio. Finally, this year, I began following Suzanne Bowen's streaming plans. Way less cardio, and more interval/HIIT/Tabata style. I also walk my dog, but not at high intensity pace. My joints feel better and I've lost weight faster than when I did lots of cardio(my diet is the biggest factor in weight loss). So for me, steady state cardio isn't as necessary as I thought it was.
Old 05-15-14, 10:14 PM  
holliholli915

What you have posted, cherimac, is exactly what I've been reading. Less is more and that it's all about the quality. It surprises me because it goes against all that we've been told for so long.
holliholli915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-14, 11:12 PM  
PrairieGem

...And I've recently returned to more steady-state cardio, after more than A DECADE away, doing strength and interval training/HIIT. I *like* interval training, and I think it's excellent for building cardiovascular endurance quickly... but I think we'll see the pendulum swing back. Everybody's different and we respond better to different amounts of different training.

My rotations always include a lot of cardio in addition to whatever else I do... but that's because I really like it. I like strength training (weights), too... but I tend to get bored unless there are cardio intervals or it's done at an aerobic pace. FWIW, my "best" results have come from the following workouts: Long steady-state cardio on machines (in my 20s); HIIT alternating with cardio/strength intervals (in my mid 30s); and BBL + barre (late 30s). Those are three pretty different training modalities, and they were all equally effective in terms of weight control. Not coincidentally, they were also my longest and most focused rotations... AND my most focused eating plans.

I am trying to give up the "what's best" mindgame. *FOR ME* (YMMV), I have never seen magical results from any kind of training... but I see CONSISTENT results from EVERY kind of training. If I pick something and do it with focus and intention (ie, a rotation), instead of just winging it (doing whatever random workout strikes my fancy on any given day... or not), then I tighten up, slim down, and get stronger and fitter. I will always, always be short and curvy--I'll never be solid and cut, or long and lean and graceful. And I'm gradually becoming OK with that.
Old 05-15-14, 11:14 PM  
videofit

For weight loss, I cut calories. Any additional activity helps you burn more calories but diet is more important than exercise. At least that has been my experience over the years.
Old 05-15-14, 11:17 PM  
northernlight

I know it's a cliche, but the best kind of cardio is the kind you enjoy and will do.

I love steady-state cardio for the way it makes me feel -- happy and serene. I am trying to do a minimum of 45 minutes of cardio most days. It could be hi/lo, step or a long walk along the canal in my city.

I find that I lose weight (if I need to) quite effortlessly when I do steady-state. I make much better choices about what I eat, and a lot of cravings fall by the wayside. Also, I allow myself indulgences that don't lead to binges. (Binges and over-eating are directly related to stress for me.)

Last year I tried doing various HIIT workouts. I stopped when I realised that I not only didn't look forward to the workouts, I dreaded them. Instead of joy, there was stress. I felt frazzled and anxious. That said, I'm sure they're just the thing for some. Lord knows they are popular right now.

Good luck in finding the right cardio for you!
northernlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-14, 11:20 PM  
firmaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post
For weight loss, I cut calories. Any additional activity helps you burn more calories but diet is more important than exercise. At least that has been my experience over the years.
Ditto!!!
firmaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-14, 07:19 AM  
Jane1721

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post
This has been my experience too! I have always exercised a lot (2+ hours a day since my teens...and I'm 39 now!) and my weight has been all over the place. It ALL depends on how much I'm eating.

I currently weigh less than I ever have as an adult (and probably less than many of my teen years), and it's because I finally started cutting back on how many sweets I eat and not replacing them with other foods. I know I could get away with less exercise too, but I like it and I'm really too irrationally paranoid to cut back!
Jane1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-14, 07:42 AM  
desie

If I am physically active for 2 or more hours a day, my body fat remains low. I don't have to do intense workouts, just move. I think my body composition would suffer if I were to do less.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-14, 07:42 AM  
hotncmom

My go-to has always been a lot of walking combined with whatever else I'm doing at the time (which is usually barre/yoga/pilates based stuff). Anything higher intensity and my appetite is out of control (especially sugar cravings). I don't do heavy weights - usually workouts that incorporate 2-3 lbs. but my workouts are moderately strenuous, sometimes just plain hard - like Ballet Body or Ultimate Yogi.

I don't count calories because logging makes me more focused on food. I eat 3 big meals and sometimes an afternoon snack. Limiting bread and sugar and focusing on foods found in nature (chicken, beef, eggs, veggies, fruits and a bit of dairy along with a couple of servings of whole grains a day) is really effective for me in losing weight. I find that getting enough sleep is pretty important as well, because I will eat more if I'm tired.

Steady state running makes me hungry and more prone to colds, as I discovered when I was running up to 7 miles to train for a 1/2 marathon one time (I quit halfway through). I used to do HIIT intervals on the treadmill but gave up the treadmill for outdoor walking. As I get older I just don't have the desire for the HIIT anymore. I like to walk and will do it more consistently than anything else, and it's something I can do the rest of my life.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardio, cardio results, hiit, outdoor walking, steady state cardio, steady state results, tabata