Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-14-14, 08:27 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
It really gives credence to the idea of aerobic base building, doesn't it? <snip>
Yeah...exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladgirl View Post
Thank you for sharing this.
I especially like that they spoke about the "benefits" of both, not limiting it to the old discussion of "for fat loss" only. (many are interested in quick results for fat loss and have been told HIIT...at my gym). Many hear it's good for weight loss, and wrongly jump to the conclusion if a little is good, more must be better....and run into problems.
I also seem to recall years ago, when HIIT first starting rolling out...that we were told to limit it to 2x a week, at least that's what I was told by PT.
I have done both, still do both and hopefully will continue to into the future.
I agree. Also, just because HIIT optimizes fat loss, doesn't mean its the only way to lose fat. In addition, if you don't have a strong aerobic base, you won't be able to keep it up.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-14, 12:35 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

The take home I got from this article is "too much of any one thing isn't good". There is obviously benefits to both steady state and Hiit cardio and doing too much of one or the other will not get the results you want. What I gathered is that it is important to make sure to incorporate both in your regimen for optimal fitness. This is why I'm so crazy about cross training and incorporating a little bit of everything. Alternating steady state and Hiit, weight training for endurance and weights for strength, body weight exercises, yoga for flexibility, alternating high and low impact...

I will admit I have to force myself to add in steady state cardio, though. Hiit is very addictive to me!

Tags
hiit, hiit versus steady state, steady state cardio