Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-22, 04:35 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Alison, you have already got some great advice here, I just wanted to send you a big hug, I will keep you all in my prayers. Take care.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-22, 05:32 PM  
gigi

Alison, I'm so sorry to hear of all you are going through. Don't be too hard on yourself. I would do what feels good to you and drop anything that is adding stress. You will always be able to pick up your normal routine later. It's important right now, that you minimize any extra stress. Like others have said, on days you feel like you want a tough workout, go for it. On days you just need gentle movement, do that.
Old 04-11-22, 05:51 PM  
Erica

I'm so sorry, Alison. That is a lot of stress, so please be gentle with yourself. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts.
Erica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-22, 07:39 AM  
Demeris

Oh, these are hard times. My prayers are with you, your husband, and your family.

Please be gentle with yourself. Stress releases cortisol, which, in excess, holds onto fat. Vigorous exercise while under stress can increase that cortisol.

There are so many studies on the positive correlation between faith practice and health that I would encourage you, if you have a faith tradition, that you consider what in that tradition can best support you and your family during these hard times.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-22, 09:20 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
Oh, these are hard times. My prayers are with you, your husband, and your family.

Please be gentle with yourself. Stress releases cortisol, which, in excess, holds onto fat. Vigorous exercise while under stress can increase that cortisol.

There are so many studies on the positive correlation between faith practice and health that I would encourage you, if you have a faith tradition, that you consider what in that tradition can best support you and your family during these hard times.
Thank you. Your second paragraph is something I was wondering about. This morning’s weights were Joni O’d because I just couldn’t find the energy. I did some Pilates-style floor work and that was great.

Re: faith. Yes! DH is actually an ordained minister, though he works with college students on a campus (not a church). I’ve been surrounding myself with praying friends and family, comforting scripture, etc. I can’t imagine how I’d be functioning without! I’m alternating with rowing (yesterday I did an easy 6k meters while while watching comfort tv)
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-22, 10:24 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I'm so sorry, Alison! I will be praying for you and your family during this difficult time. Maybe a focus on some faith-based workouts would be a good routine for you? But, whatever you gravitate towards, please take care of yourself. And, try not to worry too much about things that are out of your control. Easier said than done, I know.

April Focus:
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-22, 10:34 AM  
buffmama

Allison,
I will keep your family in my prayers. ((Hugs.))

As for exercising - In the past year I started limitiing myself to 30 min of strength or cardio most days. I stopped doing Epic. I am getting stronger and feel better. Good workouts help, but mentally tough ones don't. It's a Goldilocks' thing - not too hard, not too easy, not too much jumping, not too much static holds - and the just right point will be different on different days. I hope you find what you need and your exercise continues to be a place where you find both inner and outer strength.
Old 04-12-22, 10:50 AM  
sherry7899

Alison, I am so very sorry for what you and your family are going through.

I have Donna Richardson's "Body Gospel " set that I am not using. I do not have the bands, though. If you would like it, please pm me with your address.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-22, 04:24 PM  
CharM

I'm so sorry for what you're going through. I agree with the others to take it easy and do gentle movements if you feel like doing anything at all. Hugs and prayers to your family, alison.
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-22, 05:19 PM  
donnamp

Alison - I have nothing to add here other than my support and prayers for you and your family during this time. ((HUGS))

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
consistency, stress reduction, stress relief