Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-22, 02:09 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floren View Post
Perhaps there is a separate check in section for search purposes.

Thanks for bringing this up, it seems to be just a discussion on forum logistics and doesn't seem to be meant as toxic.

If the checkin threads are in GD, then they always show up in searches when you search for certain DVDs. If someone does that DD frequently, then the search returns not just the info you are looking for on the DVD, but also every time someone has done that DVD in the check ins threads. Which can be alot.
This is a really good point, and I ran into a similar issue recently. I forgot to limit my search parameters to the Gen Discussion forum and there were sooooo many results from the check in forum. So I can definitely see the potential for making it difficult to find helpful threads in a search!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-22, 02:51 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I really meant no harm in bringing this up; at first I thought it was the same post 12 times and was an error. There are still 8 "workouts" check ins on the main GD page.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-22, 03:48 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini2874 View Post
Sorry, I don't know what "Check in" is. Sorry I clogged up the forum. Geesh, this forum is so freaking toxic. I think I'm leaving. I don't need the negativity.
Hmmm, this is the nicest forum I've been on. That's not saying others are horrible, I just think the people here are extremely nice and friendly. Maybe take a breath and stick around a bit.
Old 04-11-22, 04:57 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

As the usual current thread starter, I should post this:

Someone began posting these threads around 2009. Her first such post mentioned a specific example of similar threads on another forum--probably a specific instructor's or other product line's. (When I have more time to search, I may try to find that post to refresh my memory of what that other forum was. I didn't visit that other forum at the time and don't know how the threads there fit into the conversation there. If the posts on the other forum are publicly viewable, I may look at them sometime.)

The poster didn't say, at least in the very first post, why she decided to post in General Discussion. Because of several possible considerations, I've long thought that the original decision might've gone either way.

I started posting these threads regularly in 2017, after they'd become much more sporadic. I had thought about their location at the time; I do not continue to do things in a certain way simply because "they've always been done this way." I could see what I would call reasonable arguments for both locations, I saw what I'd call one strong reason for moving the posting into the check-ins (the potential problems with searches, as has been mentioned in this thread), and I could also see a number of potential problems caused by moving them. I chose to continue established VF practice.

If "late" posts don't actually violate VF guidelines or something like that, I myself welcome the participation--better "later" than never. Gemini2874, please stay! VF would've been poorer if these threads stopped appearing, and VF would be poorer if you did.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit

Last edited by hch; 04-12-22 at 06:33 PM. Reason: corrected "2011" to "2009"
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-22, 05:38 PM  
Erica

IIRC, the person that came up with the daily activity threads specifically requested they not be a formal checkin - she thought seeing the thread every day might give herself and others motivation or a gentle nudge to be active that day and that a general thread would be less intimidating than a checkin (no theme/rules, pop in and out without obligations, etc). The forum was busier then, but I think a lot of people found them a fun, low pressure way to participate in the community (myself included).
Erica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-22, 05:49 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I don't think Gemini 2874 did anything wrong and hope she stays. I post in those threads because I don't belong to any checkin, and I like to see what others are doing.
Old 04-11-22, 06:24 PM  
fatkat555

Quote:
Originally Posted by hch View Post

If "late" posts don't actually violate VF guidelines or something like that, I myself welcome the participation--better "later" than never. Gemini2874, please stay! VF would've been poorer if these threads stopped appearing, and VF would be poorer if you did.
Agree! VF is better with the participation. I can see where it looked like a glitch at first glance when viewing the GD. I think we all can agree that Gemini is doing great work in her exercise consistency, another positive. I wouldn’t want her to stop.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-22, 08:55 PM  
dnna

Gemini,
You have helped me so much, I appreciate all that you do on the forum.
thanks for helping me.

donna
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-22, 09:22 PM  
Helen

I don't find them a problem because I hit "New Posts" every day and just scroll through the mixed bunch from all different areas - never noticing which zone they're from at all. I post in the "Workouts" sporadically and had honestly never noticed that they were in GD, rather than Checkins/Challenges; though I do acknowledge that's where they should be - but I repeat - I'm not bothered at all that they, or any other 'checkins', aren't.

Since the 'Workouts' one has been named - also in GD (now that I've looked) are:
Celebrity Workout Check-In
Vintage Dustbunny Sporadic Check-In
Tear off the shrinkwrap! New workout check in!

Perhaps new threads for all of them should be put in the check-in zone - think of it as putting your things away where they belong. People looking around for a new check-in, most likely, would scroll through that area, rather than GD - so it'd be beneficial to that end.

Gemini
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-22, 07:32 AM  
Elsie

How are the Polls working around here lately? Might be an idea to take a vote?
Given that in GD there are the daily log check-ins, celebrity workout check-in, dustbunny check-in (where the purpose would seem to be for Vf'ers who aren't at this time interested in an ongoing check-in) & shrinkwrap/new workout check-in,
One may assume that most are just fine with a few check-ins here. And that they keep participation up as previously pointed out.
I'm just suggesting that a vote couldn't be seen as negative. Just throwing that out here.
(And I do fully realize that OP didn't mention any of the other GD check-ins, nor has she been "toxic".)
Elsie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check-ins