Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-22, 02:44 PM  
Softshoe
VF Supporter

Katalin Rodriguez-Zamiar - Standing Pilates Blend.
Old 02-19-22, 03:46 PM  
Venus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini2874 View Post
Can anyone please recommend a fusion workout dvd that is standing only with no floor work that is not Jessica or Ellen?...I’m on a bit of a buying spree lately and looking for other fusion or barre instructors. I hate floor work with a passion and it never helps my aching back. I also prefer no gadgets (no bands, balls, etc). Any suggestions please?
Here are a few standing fusion/barre workouts:

Petra Kolber Liquid Grooves
Petra Kolber Elegant Strength (Elegant Strength is chaptered, so you could skip the floor/core sections.)
Barre3 Standing Slim

These might work for you, though some have a bit of floorwork. I recommend looking at the clips/descriptions to see if they appeal to you.

Kathy Smith: Total Body Turnaround
Kathy Smith: Total Body Lift
Michelle Dozois Body Fit 360
Kari Anderson's Reach
Dance and Be Fit: Lower Body Burn
Ilyse Baker: Your Sexy Everything Booty, Legs & Thighs
10 Minute Solution: Butt Lift
Tonya Larson Power Stretch & Sculpt
Exhale Core Fusion

Quote:
So, if we move away from barre, the only options are Ellen and Jessica for barefoot, cardio/sculpt fusion options, correct? Jessica is my FAVORITE instructor so I love her. I think I own every dvd she made. I just love everything about her. Maybe I’m spoiled because when I look at these other workouts and see the crop tops with chiseled abs, no bubbly Jessica, and no Debbie, it just bums me out! I was just thinking maybe I should add someone else in just in case I want variety someday. I was hoping to find another Jessica smith type fusion workout similar to Feel Good Fusion dvd or Poise and Grace. If nothing else, me checking out all of these instructors made me realize how much I love working out with Jessica and crew! ��
Linda from Barlates seems to have a similar feel to Jessica (at least to me). She has a positive vibe, a focus on health/well-being, and wears modest workout clothing. Her workouts are mostly barre/fusion/pilates with some traditional fitness; I feel like Jessica's workouts are more traditional fitness with some barre/fusion. Similar feel, but different.

There are some Barlates DVDs/DVD-Rs on Total Fitness DVDs:

Barlates fusion workouts
Barlates Standing Barre Series
Barlates Standing and Mat Abs

Like Jessica, Linda has A LOT of free workouts on her YouTube channel and playlists to help sort through them all! Here are a few links to check out:

Barlates standing fusion workouts
Standing Barre Series playlist
No Equipment Workouts playlist

I also did a generic search on YouTube and several promising options came up:

Standing Fusion Workouts

*ETA another YouTube option (I haven't done any Senior Shape workouts, but Sherry's post below reminded me of this channel):

Silver&Fit Program

I've mostly just previewed some videos; they have a lot of moderate workouts. They don't have any workouts labeled as fusion/barre, but you may like some of the workouts from these playlists:

Strength/Bodyweight playlist (I suggest the intermediate strength workouts with Penny.)
Flexibility & Balance playlist
Take It Outdoors playlist (I previewed the workouts with Stacy Lei- Everything Circuits and Mindful Movement.)

Also, the POPSUGAR Fitness YouTube channel is great for variety!
POPSUGAR Fitness: Barre Workouts playlist

I like Jessica's workouts, too. The nice thing about having a favorite instructor is it makes it easier to stay consistent. I have my favorite yoga instructors I keep going back to, but it's nice to try new instructors. As you said, sometimes it just makes you appreciate your favorites more, but it's great when you find a workout you like just as much. You have a lot of variety with all of Jessica's DVDs and her YouTube workouts, too, though!
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-22, 05:09 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
So, if we move away from barre, the only options are Ellen and Jessica for barefoot, cardio/sculpt fusion options, correct? Jessica is my FAVORITE instructor so I love her. I think I own every dvd she made. I just love everything about her. Maybe I’m spoiled because when I look at these other workouts and see the crop tops with chiseled abs, no bubbly Jessica, and no Debbie, it just bums me out! I was just thinking maybe I should add someone else in just in case I want variety someday. I was hoping to find another Jessica smith type fusion workout similar to Feel Good Fusion dvd or Poise and Grace. If nothing else, me checking out all of these instructors made me realize how much I love working out with Jessica and crew! 😂
I know what you mean, it's hard to beat Jessica. Senior Shape has come the closest to her for me, although Lauren moves much slower. I usually do Lauren's workouts on lighter days.

Lively Ladies reminds me of Jessica's walks with weights. Not fusion exactly, but walks with light weights.
Old 02-19-22, 09:47 PM  
Lorelai

I really like Sadie Lincoln from Barre3, and I actually think there's a fusion vibe there too. I'm not sure what or if there are standing only offerings on DVD.

Maybe check out Tracey Mallett's Fuse Dance cardio lean and melt... I'm pretty sure there's floor work but I'm sure it could be skipped. I also recommend Jennifer Galardi's Ballet Body, standing only, although it's definitely more inspired by dance. I can't dance and can barely follow choreography, and found this one to be manageable with practice.

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-22, 10:39 AM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Softshoe, Venus and Lorelai- Thank you for the suggestions. I will go check them out!
Gemini2874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-22, 10:40 AM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I know what you mean, it's hard to beat Jessica. Senior Shape has come the closest to her for me, although Lauren moves much slower. I usually do Lauren's workouts on lighter days.

Lively Ladies reminds me of Jessica's walks with weights. Not fusion exactly, but walks with light weights.
I checked out Senior Shape after your post and it looks good...not exactly the barefoot I like but good to do for variety. Thank you!
Old 02-20-22, 10:58 AM  
Leonana

You’re welcome!
Old 02-20-22, 11:42 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softshoe View Post
Katalin Rodriguez-Zamiar - Standing Pilates Blend.
Gemini
I think there are several Method workouts that I think fit your category including the one Mary mentioned.
Jennifer Kries Pilates Target Specifics (may have some floorwork.. can't remember)
Method Pilates All in One Workout (Lacey)
Method Dynamic Cardio, firming and flexing
Caribbean Pilates(or Beach Pilates) 4 DVD set with Shelly McDonald and Jennifer Tilley has several within the set. ( I can be more specific if you're interested.)

I think Jennifer Kries has several others with the Method label that I don't own so can't say for certain but maybe someone else does...

P.S. Great list, Venus!!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-22, 11:05 AM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Gemini
I think there are several Method workouts that I think fit your category including the one Mary mentioned.
Jennifer Kries Pilates Target Specifics (may have some floorwork.. can't remember)
Method Pilates All in One Workout (Lacey)
Method Dynamic Cardio, firming and flexing
Caribbean Pilates(or Beach Pilates) 4 DVD set with Shelly McDonald and Jennifer Tilley has several within the set. ( I can be more specific if you're interested.)

I think Jennifer Kries has several others with the Method label that I don't own so can't say for certain but maybe someone else does...

P.S. Great list, Venus!!
Thank you!!!
Old 02-22-22, 01:11 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Kathy Smith Functionally Fit Lower Body Firming (entire workout also appears in the DVD compilation "Yoga Sculpt"). It's all standing and unweighted.

Kathy released this video before the word "fusion" was ever used, so despite lacking that word in its description, it might be worth a look. It's all standing and has basic standing moves like squats - 2 legged and 1-legged, lunges, and leg lifts. in 30 minutes, you will feel worked, believe me!

it's a very underrated workout. you mention having back pain - by strengthening your legs and thighs, it will support your back.

Note regarding floorwork: You can modify most floor moves by standing and holding on to either the wall or heavy piece of furniture. moves like the roll-up - again, you can do this standing but refrain from folding completely over - just enough to feel the contraction in your abs.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fusion standing only, fusion workouts, standing only fusion, standing pilates