Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-21, 06:53 AM  
Rhonda

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceQueen07 View Post
Did Boss Loops Glutes & Core this morning. I used the same bands as Cathe for the first time through. It's not a bad workout, I think I was expecting more. I really didn't feel much, the band seems a little to big unless I kept my thighs apart. Now maybe if I wear yoga pants instead of shorts that won't happen. I will try with the blue band and see if better. I know it was only the first time so I am hoping I will like better the next time. Going to try the other dvd tomorrow.
You will need to keep your legs apart a bit to keep the tension and so the loop doesn't slide down.

I had it right above my knees and you definitely feel it more. Having it higher on the thighs is much easier (per Cathe). I have done other workouts with loops and they always say and have the loop right above the knees. not sure why Cathe has it so high on her thigh.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-21, 07:05 AM  
owltx

Did Boss Loops Glutes & Core yesterday. I did not do the core part as I have tweaked my back somehow (jumping on and off the step during P30 HIIT, something I have done a zillion times before). Anyway, letting you know that because it meant I approached all exercise w/caution and if I felt anything in that part of my back I backed off.

I really enjoyed this workout. Found it had some new, creative moves. The floorwork is much more intense than the standing, IMHO. However, I enjoyed the standing more. I am a big fan of loop/band works and think it is a really great way to work the muscles in a different way from weights; using the loops always works my outer thighs and glutes (so important for function!) in a great way. I think this will be a good one to divide up and use as add-ons to other workouts. The moves are pretty much controlled and I appreciated the slower pace. I did wish for more standing at the end of the section - another circuit or two I think would have moved this up a notch in terms of difficulty that would have been nice. At first I was disappointed that she didn't use the band during the stretch or have an extended stretch but I have to say this stretch was awesome - really great, slow, methodic.

The bands themselves are great quality. I really debated about getting them but I am glad I did. Very comfortable, didn't slip (I was wearing yoga capris, might be different with shorts as PPs have noted), easy to get on and off.
Old 08-23-21, 07:28 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio6 View Post
Random comment: I have found out the hard way, that NOBODY makes booty bands for plus size women. Just sayin'. Irked.
https://bootybands.com/products/curvyplus-booty-band
https://bootybands.com/products/curvyplus-booty-band

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-21, 07:35 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
You will need to keep your legs apart a bit to keep the tension and so the loop doesn't slide down.

I had it right above my knees and you definitely feel it more. Having it higher on the thighs is much easier (per Cathe). I have done other workouts with loops and they always say and have the loop right above the knees. not sure why Cathe has it so high on her thigh.
More resistance higher up . They go where ever is comfortable and gives you resistance. If not getting the resistance use a harder band. My bands cane in a set of 3. If you try the hardest level sit won’t move it’s so strong

but also, depending on the exercise placement varies.

~~~Cheryl

Old 08-23-21, 07:44 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I just finished Total Body Timesaver #2 Upper Body - 46min. I loved it and felt challenged. I'm an intermediate exerciser and this one was definitely an intermediate workout for me, whereas most of Cathe's other workouts are too advanced nowadays. I think it was a good use of the bands throughout the workout, but the blue band felt a bit short for me in couple of the moves. Anyone knows how tall is Cathe? Great workout though and I'm looking forward to trying Glutes and Core DVD.
Old 08-23-21, 11:37 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio6 View Post
Random comment: I have found out the hard way, that NOBODY makes booty bands for plus size women. Just sayin'. Irked.
these come in large for thighs over 27"

~~~Cheryl

Old 08-23-21, 06:32 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

I'll post a more detailed review later, but here are my comments on the Total Body workout (~57 min total) that uses the longer band set. She uses all 3 bands in the set, each of which are a continuous loop, appearing to be about 10'-12' if you were to make a cut into it. These differ from the hip bands used in the other workout. The hip bands were not used in this workout.

I used my Beachbody bands - i just purchased the DVDs only.

key takeaways:
  • about 98% of the moves can be done with regular, unjoined resistance bands (tubing)
  • I recommend wearing workout gloves like Cathe and crew to provide more grip on the bands and to protect the skin on your hands.
  • using a "joined" band like the ones that are offered and used in this workout has its pros and cons. because a joined band is a continuous loop, you're essentially doubling up on the resistance. it's possible to reduce the resistance by altering how you hold a looped band.
  • since I used a non-joined band, I was able to quickly take the resistance down by half. note that I did not preview this workout - I went straight in!
  • i have varying levels of Beachbody resistance bands to my avail and laid them out before I started the workout. I used mostly the red and magenta levels (60# and 40# respectively) and used the teal (10#) for the anterior delt moves. Note that when I use dumbbells for anterior delt moves, I use 4# or less.
  • although it may appear that you can get away with 1 or 2 bands, sometimes the strongest band is needed for the bigger muscles. Case in point - she does a couple of different moves for the legs in standing and supine positions. Cathe doubled up the heavy (blue) and medium (orange) and I was able to use the densest Beachbody band without straining since the position you're in is all thighs and glutes - big muscles. I could have gone heavier in these moves.
  • I'm recovering from a right shoulder injury, and having the ability to use half the resistance "on the fly" was a clear benefit in using an unlooped resistance band.
  • I don't recall a modifier in this workout. Correct me if I am wrong. for example, you do push-ups with the band around your upper back to add resistance. all of them were using a band and doing it on their toes. i'm a pushup wuss and did them on my knees, and halfway through, I removed the band.
  • There are about a half-dozen pre-mixes on this DVD which I have yet to try.
  • The only other Cathe band workout I own is Travel Fit, and that one impressed me more than this one, although this one has some novel moves.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-21, 07:31 PM  
fanofladyvols

I just did the Boss loops glutes and core. I love this workout. I don't know if it's the pretty studio, bright loops, or Cathe's relaxed demeanor but it's such an enjoyable workout to me. I used every band she used. Just when the number of reps is enough for me she stops to stretch or moves on to the next segment. The warmup was just right for the workout and the stretch was great. I loved the use of the loop with the cardio and the core work stopped just before the fun factor wore off. (Who knew mountain climbers can be so much harder with a light band?)

I can easily see adding the floor work section and the cardio with other workouts.

Something I noticed in both the loop and band workouts is how great the rotational movements feel with these particular bands. As we age, it's important to preserve rotational range of motion and I really like what she includes in both workouts.

Jeannine your comment regarding Travel fit intrigues me! I think I will try to do that workout soon so I can compare them.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-21, 07:42 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Jeannine your comment regarding Travel fit intrigues me! I think I will try to do that workout soon so I can compare them.
I have Travel Fit DVD and haven't done it yet. On my list to try after I do Glutes and Core. To my surprise, I love working out with bands and find them quite challenging when used with proper form.
Old 08-23-21, 08:33 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I've done both workouts and enjoyed them. Yes, they are intermediate as Cathe does them, but they could be easily modified up/down using a harder/easier band/loop or combining the loops. I kind of expected them to be less advanced than some of her offerings, so I wasn't disappointed that they are "easier." The bands are very good quality IMHO and an improvement over the non fabric ones I have been using---particularly the latex bands which can snap. As an aside, I loved how the colors of the crew's outfits mimicked the colors of the loops in the Glute workout.

bzar, great summary/review! You are correct, Cathe doesn't usually have a modifier---almost never, actually. She will tell you a modification, but often doesn't have anyone demonstrating it.

Dontmindthemess, I'm curious about which Jen you thought was hamming it up since there are two Jens? Was it the one on the left of the screen (Cathe's right?) My eyes usually are drawn to hamminess and I didn't really notice it but then again I don't always pay attention to the backgrounders. The Jen I mentioned does sometimes make faces but she hasn't quite reached the annoying stage to me. Yet.

As an aside, Cathe didn't invent the stability ball, regular step, gliding disks, loops or bands. Those are all tools that many instructors have used in their workouts over the years and the bands are used in physical therapy as well. She doesn't sell the tower anymore and I don't recall that she ever sold the high step or the club step? Anyhow the point to me is that many instructors try to get in on the "latest" trends and produce workouts that use the equipment, so Cathe isn't alone in the gadget business. If I don't want to spend the money on some piece of equipment, I'm not gonna do it no matter who is selling it! Looking at YOU, high step!

All that talk about Travel Fit, I will have to pull it out to do with the new bands/loops!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boss bands, boss bands glutes core, boss bands total body, boss loops glutes core, cathe, cathe downloads, cathe equipment, cathe live, cathe premix, cathe premixes