Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-22, 07:14 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I'd be curious why the dr suggested yoga. Is it a "mindfulness" or stress reduction sort of recommendation? Flexibility training? Would using your CS/Essentrics workouts fit the bill?

I'm not a fan of Cathe's yoga. I think a person can wear a lot of hats and teach a variety of types of workouts. Not sure Cathe really shines though as a yoga instructor.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-22, 08:42 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I'd be curious why the dr suggested yoga. Is it a "mindfulness" or stress reduction sort of recommendation? Flexibility training? Would using your CS/Essentrics workouts fit the bill?
As someone who loves Essentrics and gets huge benefits from doing it, I lose flexibility if I don’t do gentle yoga regularly. But that’s just me, we are all different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Are you open to using you tube? There are a ton of options.
That was my thought, so many different instructors and styles to choose from.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-22, 08:54 PM  
sherry7899

I did not care for Cathe's yoga either. Karen Voight may work for you. If you do want you tube suggestions please let us know.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-22, 09:32 PM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaT View Post
While I do appreciate all the suggestions, I was asking specifically about these titles by Cathe. Part of coming back from being ill, is regaining my motivation.

Yoga itself, does not. But I'm will to try with an instructor that motivates me who has workouts available. I have recently added Cathe on a limited basis and I like what I use so far.

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my original post.
Do you own these titles? I think I have an extra copy of the Perfect Flow. I need to double check.
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-22, 10:28 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
I'm not trying to confuse things or muddy the waters, but I don't think Cathe is at her best in her yoga workouts. There is nothing wrong with them, and they are more "athletic" than some yoga workouts, but she doesn't seem that enthused about yoga. She talks in sort of a monotonous voice; maybe she thinks it's calming but it's mostly just boring. I have lots of Cathe workouts that I like a lot, but her yoga ones are not among them. Admittedly, I am not a huge fan of yoga, but there are yoga workouts that I do and that I like better than Cathe's.
Agree with this! I don't think Cathe excels in the yoga genre, while she's very good at everything else...strength, cardio. She would NOT be my first person to start with, if I were looking for yoga workouts or yoga instructor. Her stretches are okay, but I would steer clear of her yoga specifically.

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-22, 11:46 PM  
fatkat555

And there are other instructors who teach stretching classes that are not yoga. Lastics and Fit and Bendy come to mind as examples. I love Stretch Therapy as well! Maybe even traditional ballet stretching? It’s so easy to get lost in the weeds because there are so many wonderful instructors out there and methods. I think you may have to research, but you’ll find some stretching that works for you.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-22, 07:47 AM  
katalina

As mentioned by others, I don't think yoga is Cathe's strength. That being said, re. the Cathe titles you mentioned, I like the first premix of Yoga Relax. Yoga Max was okay. I enjoy Mobility Basics on Perfect Flow and the Yoga segment was pretty good (my notes for myself on this one are "active/balance"). While you didn't mention it, I really like Cathe's Stretch Max and do this one often. If I were picking between these four, I would go with Stretch Max.
katalina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-22, 09:51 AM  
TinaT

YogaPam ~ Since you use both methods of yoga and CS, where are the differences in flexibility, mobility etc?
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-22, 09:58 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Not Pam, but Essentrics is movement (dynamic) stretching and yoga is holding poses.

You probably need to just choose the workout you're inclined to do.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-22, 10:07 AM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
Not Pam, but Essentrics is movement (dynamic) stretching and yoga is holding poses.

You probably need to just choose the workout you're inclined to do.
I wouldn't necessarily categorize yoga as just holding poses. Vinyasa is a pretty dynamic flow, imo. But I would agree that yoga and CS/Essentrics are very different from each other.

I have to agree with others that yoga is not Cathe's strong suit. I'm a huge fan of Karen Voight's YogaSculpt.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe yoga, perfect flow, stretch max, yoga, yoga max, yoga relax