Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-30-22, 04:57 PM  
Gams

I’ve always thought it was just as well Marilyn Monroe died young - the public and press would never have left her alone as she aged.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-22, 05:16 PM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I’ve always thought it was just as well Marilyn Monroe died young - the public and press would never have left her alone as she aged.
No doubt. Elizabeth Taylor was a contemporary so you can see the comparison.

And Marilyn was not doing so well already in her thirties, poor woman.

Oprah is someone in that article that seems to be rocking the aging thing. She looks like someone who clearly puts effort into herself, while not going for really unnatural options or wearing clothing that looks ridiculous.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-22, 05:25 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post

Oprah is someone in that article that seems to be rocking the aging thing. She looks like someone who clearly puts effort into herself, while not going for really unnatural options or wearing clothing that looks ridiculous.
I feel the same way. I don't even like her but I think she's aging amazingly well. Maybe she's had work done, or maybe not...but I think she looks better than ever.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-22, 05:32 PM  
adrien_73

I admit, I did not read the article, as I make an effort not to read articles on such topics. I will only speak from my own experience.

I have always had body image issues and struggled to keep my weight in a healthy range as a child. At age 18, I started exercising, first with one of those piston-type stair climbers I bought at Caldor. (Anyone else remember Caldor? I loved that store & miss it to this day!)

Once I burned that out, I joined a local gym that offered memberships for a mere $50/year, Eventually I started taking fitness classes, and moved on to become an AFAA certified fitness instructor. I began teaching at several gyms, at some points 3-4 facilities teaching 3 classes per day. I also started lifting heavy weights, what most would consider body building.

After college, my work schedule made it difficult to teach classes, but I became a home exerciser and intensity junkie…which led me to VF! I started using mostly Cathe & other advanced cardio & strength workouts.

Fast forward over 20 years. I am 49. I have reoccurring knee, back, foot and shoulder issues. I can no longer do Cathe or any high impact. I can’t run. Every time I try a strength routine with more than 5-10 lbs I pull muscles severely. My whole body has morphed, I no longer fit in my clothes and when I look in the mirror, I don't recognize myself anymore, and frequently feel discouraged and embarrassed at what I have become.

Then I remind myself…I am blessed to be able to move. I can no longer lift, run or jump like I used to, but the fact that I can walk, dress, feed and take care of myself is a gift, and I am grateful for that. The gray hair, wrinkles, decrease in physical performace and additional cellulite are trivial in in the grand scheme of things. I’m doing okay!
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-22, 05:53 PM  
TracyQ

[/QUOTE][I bought at Caldor. (Anyone else remember Caldor? I loved that store & miss it to this day!)[/QUOTE]I do. We still have a hammock that we bought there in 1997.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-22, 05:53 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrien_73 View Post
My whole body has morphed, I no longer fit in my clothes and when I look in the mirror, I don't recognize myself anymore, and frequently feel discouraged and embarrassed at what I have become.

Then I remind myself…I am blessed to be able to move. I can no longer lift, run or jump like I used to, but the fact that I can walk, dress, feed and take care of myself is a gift, and I am grateful for that. The gray hair, wrinkles, decrease in physical performace and additional cellulite are trivial in in the grand scheme of things. I’m doing okay!
First, I want to say that I'm sorry about your physical issues. We really take the gift of movement for granted sometimes.

Your first paragraph is what I'm experiencing now and your second one is what I strive for. I'm glad you can remind yourself of the things that really matter in life. Thank you for posting.

Erica
Old 01-30-22, 07:58 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Laura S - I hope that your Dr. can help you get on a good path to feeling better.

Donna
Thanks, Donna. I started on a new drug Friday night and I have felt so much better. It seems to really be addressing the inflammation that has kept me so stiff and immobile. Today I went out for a short stroll and my back wasn't killing me when I returned and I've started doing squats as a way to get me started back with strength training. It's just a foothold, but it's a start.

For those who have come back to a healthier way of living, what little steps have you taken that have been first steps to getting back to where you want to be?

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-22, 08:23 PM  
Erica H.

Laura S. - so glad you are experiencing some relief and can even add some activity!

Erica
Old 01-31-22, 10:31 AM  
donnamp

adrien - I can relate to what you are saying - I don't think I look bad (I'm not ripped or super fit looking but about average!), but I wish I could do what I used to do - I loved running and some of the more advanced video workouts back in the day - but I just can't do it now. I have too many aches and pains and it isn't worth it to push through it - especially since at some point working through it isn't an option as my body will just quit. So, I'm doing gentler stuff and trying to keep up as best as I can. I sometimes wonder if I didn't bring this on myself by not exercising "smarter" when I was younger - but I guess who does? Most young people feel invincible and I was certainly no exception. And, also there have been a lot of advancements in knowledge about fitness and working out in general that weren't around when I started my fitness journey - which was pretty much in Jr High/High School w/ running.....in the 80's....

Lauran - I'm glad it is helping and that you are able to get started again. I think what you are doing - short walks and little bursts of strength training is a great way to get started again.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-22, 10:36 AM  
Karla25

I have been thinking about this thread and aging a lot lately. Yesterday, when I went to put some food in our local outdoor food pantry, it especially hit home. Whilst I fret about a little sagging and extra weight, others are worried that they might not have anything to eat. What are my priorities? I can spend time being upset about things I cannot change, or I can do things to improve the lives of others.

I’m learning to be content with my imperfect looks, life and the world as it is. I have a choice to make each day on how I will react to life. I’ve started taking some time to analyze my thoughts. How often am I thinking about negative things that I have no control over? Does it help me emotionally to think upon these things? Instead, I can spend that time being grateful for having a husband and family that love me. I have a home, an abundance of food and good health. I also have this wonderful forum. There’s many that don’t have these blessings.

Doing things for others and thinking less about oneself helps with aging gracefully. Plant a butterfly garden, volunteer at a hospital or animal shelter. One might not be “invisible” to those that need and cherish their help.

Tags
aesthetics, aging, beauty, body image, celebrities