Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-21-21, 07:42 PM  
Erica H.

Swelling with no pain - can I still run?

I started having some pain in my inner ankle and heel the other day, but continued running because it was mild. Yesterday, it got a lot worse so I elevated and took Advil all day and skipped running today.

Now it's still swollen, but not painful. If I hadn't had the pain, I probably wouldn't have noticed the swelling. Do you think I can still run tomorrow and see what happens? I hate to keep missing runs (I need them to manage my depression/anxiety), but I don't want to cause a mild injury to become something serious either.

So, swelling but not painful. I have elevated all day, but no Advil.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-21, 07:48 PM  
Erica H.

Never mind...it's hurting again and I took Advil. Definitely no run.

Erica
Old 05-21-21, 09:50 PM  
bubbles76

I'm so sorry you're going through this! Even if it hadn't started hurting again, I wouldn't have chanced it. It might have started hurting in the middle of your run, and you may not have been able to make it back to the house.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-21, 11:24 PM  
fanofladyvols

I hope you're ok!

I actually remember MANY years ago running with my arch hitting the curb of a sidewalk .

Didn't think anything of it but it started swelling the next time I ran. Then pain the next day. Definitely couldn't run for a few days.

Take care of you!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-21, 04:12 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
It might have started hurting in the middle of your run, and you may not have been able to make it back to the house.
I actually broke my foot while running in 2013 and had to hobble back home in the pouring rain! I stepped on a rock in the road and rolled my ankle hard and broke the bone. Then it started pouring. That was fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
I hope you're ok!

I actually remember MANY years ago running with my arch hitting the curb of a sidewalk .

Didn't think anything of it but it started swelling the next time I ran. Then pain the next day. Definitely couldn't run for a few days.

Take care of you!
Thank you!

Erica
Old 05-22-21, 09:21 AM  
angie_nrs

I wouldn't risk aggrivating a potential injury. In the long term, it's just not worth it. Let your body heal. If it were me, I'd just do something different for a while that won't put a whole lot of stress on your ankle. Perhaps some upper body work, bike, yoga, etc. That also gives you a chance to figure out if the injury is bad enough to get medical attention or not. Hopefully it's just a mild sprain or strain.

Hope you heal up quickly.
Old 05-22-21, 09:22 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie_nrs View Post
I wouldn't risk aggrivating a potential injury. In the long term, it's just not worth it. Let your body heal. If it were me, I'd just do something different for a while that won't put a whole lot of stress on your ankle. Perhaps some upper body work, bike, yoga, etc. That also gives you a chance to figure out if the injury is bad enough to get medical attention or not. Hopefully it's just a mild sprain or strain.

Hope you heal up quickly.
Thanks. That's what I'm thinking, too. Taking a few days off is better than taking months off for an injury. I just hate it - especially if I'd be fine running on it.

Erica
Old 05-25-21, 12:26 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I'm so sorry you're going through this! Even if it hadn't started hurting again, I wouldn't have chanced it. It might have started hurting in the middle of your run, and you may not have been able to make it back to the house.
I think you jinxed me. I gave it a few days to heal and the swelling had gone down significantly so I ran this morning. It felt fine for the first 2/3 of the run and then - BAM - something happened and I couldn't take a step without pain. Had to make it home - fortunately, only about 1/2 mile.

Won't be running now for a long time - it's much worse with pain and swelling. Just what I was afraid of happening. Hindsight - I should have taken more time off.

Erica
Old 05-25-21, 01:50 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I think you jinxed me. I gave it a few days to heal and the swelling had gone down significantly so I ran this morning. It felt fine for the first 2/3 of the run and then - BAM - something happened and I couldn't take a step without pain. Had to make it home - fortunately, only about 1/2 mile.

Won't be running now for a long time - it's much worse with pain and swelling. Just what I was afraid of happening. Hindsight - I should have taken more time off.

Erica
Erica
I'd have to get it checked if I were you

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-21, 02:05 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Erica
I'd have to get it checked if I were you
I can't. Lousy insurance and lousy doctors. I am pretty sure I know what it is and think RICE is the best treatment. It's just going to be hard because I really need to run for my sanity. Life just keeps getting more stressful (on top of everything else, my MIL was just diagnosed with cancer yesterday) and running really helps my mental state.

Erica

Tags
injuries, injury