Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-03-21, 09:28 PM  
sillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
i buy more stuff....i don't suggest this..
LOL! I have been perusing Amazon for old Tracy Anderson DVDs that I don't have.

Seems like most fitness DVDs have come back down to reasonable prices on Amazon again.
sillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-21, 10:05 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

My DVD collection is small (?!) enough to fit on my bookshelf so I have organized them in some fashion and I "pull out" (by a few inches) the ones I feel like revisiting and just keep them in that position till I do 'em. And since I am juggling a sometimes-crazy job and two kids (with one of them having a semi-stable schedule), often times, I wake up and see how much time I have + how energetic I feel + what I did yesterday and decide before I get to my workout space what I'm going to do and just stick with it. Better to do something than nothing! And sticking with a plan, even if it was just made a few minutes prior means I won't spent precious minutes dawdling over reviews (!) of what I own that's less familar and appropriate for the day. LOL! And my YouTube playlists are pretty limited too -- aside from Jessica Smith and Body You, the vast majority are from familiar DVD instructors (e.g. Gin Miller's channel) and otherwise, I do spend too much time analyzing which yoga practice I want to do from Yoga Works' streaming site (sigh). Easier to go with a tried and true Eoin Finn DVD when I'm short on time for analysis!
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-21, 08:06 AM  
Mickey12

Quote:
I buy more stuff....I don't suggest this..

Instead I will do themed workouts. February was Black History Month workouts, with instructors of color. March is Women's History Month, so only the ladies this month. Not sure what I'll do for April. Maybe barre and kettlebells, since April is the month of rebirth, and barre and kettlebells are still fairly new to me.
Bubbles I love this idea! Very creative way to stay focused.
Old 03-04-21, 01:18 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Somewhat similar to Bubbles' theme idea..... with the help of my checkin group, I realized I needed some structure in my week to help me narrow down my choices. I went with the following as a straw man:

Sloggin' Sunday - for tough workouts
Mellow Monday - maybe just a walking workout or yoga
Two Tuesday - any two workouts
Kickbox Wednesday - just because
Throwback Thursday - something I haven't done in a long time
Fun Friday - 'nuf said (usually a fun cardio)
Surprise Saturday

I'm thinking about going with:
Slow Sunday
Metabolic Monday
and I think the rest the same....

maybe this will give you some inspiration.....
Old 03-04-21, 01:23 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
I buy more stuff....I don't suggest this.. ...
Yes, this. Me, too.

And, I tend to forget some of my collection and it is fun when I look at the shelf and find something "new" to me.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-21, 02:02 PM  
muggle

Quote:
I buy more stuff....I don't suggest this..

Instead I will do themed workouts. February was Black History Month workouts, with instructors of color. March is Women's History Month, so only the ladies this month. Not sure what I'll do for April. Maybe barre and kettlebells, since April is the month of rebirth, and barre and kettlebells are still fairly new to me.
I absolutely love this idea!!! Not the "buy more stuff" but the themed months! LOVE LOVE LOVE. Well...of course I like to buy more stuff too.
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-21, 04:40 PM  
Vantreesta

What's not to be excited about??

I have forgotten so many workouts I have, it's embarrassing. I had Crunch Pick Your Spot Pilates on my schedule and was pretty sure I had replaced the VHS. I looked and looked, thinking it was a single DVD, to no avail. Lo and behold, a 4 pack of Crunch Pilates I have no memory if buying!!

It doesn't take much to excite me. Just looking at my collection is fun, but updating my spreadsheet and index cards and looking back through old logs definitely fires me up, as others have said.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-21, 03:16 PM  
seagreen01
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Somewhat similar to Bubbles' theme idea..... with the help of my checkin group, I realized I needed some structure in my week to help me narrow down my choices. I went with the following as a straw man:

Sloggin' Sunday - for tough workouts
Mellow Monday - maybe just a walking workout or yoga
Two Tuesday - any two workouts
Kickbox Wednesday - just because
Throwback Thursday - something I haven't done in a long time
Fun Friday - 'nuf said (usually a fun cardio)
Surprise Saturday

I'm thinking about going with:
Slow Sunday
Metabolic Monday
and I think the rest the same....

maybe this will give you some inspiration.....
Love this... lots of scope for changes along the way.
seagreen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-21, 04:26 PM  
laurajhawk

A slightly different mindset: I don't try to stay excited about my collection; I try to stay excited about working out. OK, yes, sometimes that involves buying more stuff but mostly, it means spending time thinking about what is going on with my body, what kind of workouts I need, and also what's going on with my mind and what kind of workouts/kind of rotation I need for that reason -- like beach settings in the winter, or a low-impact rotation to let an injury heal.

When I'm thinking about the kind of workouts I need and want to do, then it's much more fun to buy new stuff that really meets those needs but also, since I DO have a gigantic collection, I can often rediscover a workout, instructor, or program that really fits what I need at the time. And that's fun!!

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-21, 05:41 PM  
fanofladyvols

Staying involved in my check-ins having VFers remind me of forgotten workouts or untried workouts.

Even dusting and reorganizing them is fun to me, lol. My husband walks in and says "Oh are you playing with your workouts?" It's very much like playing with dolls in a dollhouse to me

But mostly it's from setting goals and using the workouts to accomplish the goals. Very similar to what laurajhawk mentioned. Creating rotations, following themes...all are interesting.

I would be bored if I still had a small collection of only a few trainers. I am very thankful to have a varied collection.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
large collection, rotations, too many choices, too many options, variety